Klarus ST11 vs Klarus XT11 vs Fenix TK22 - Thoughts welcome :-)

YetiFlash

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I wonder if you guys could please help with my next choice of light? For general use and cycling - including road and mountain biking night jollies (night rides never more than two hours). So needs to be able to cope with some trail vibration and have a decent lumen output, that doesn't ramp down too much after a few minutes when the thermal stepdown kicks in. For reference I'm upgrading from a Jetbeam Raptor RRT-0. The earlier one with the CREE S2 LED and roughly 250L. Nice little light but I'm after more oomph - but the same or better quality.

I've narrowed it down to the following...

Klarus ST11 (900 L)
Klarus XT11 (820L - upgrade version)
Fenix TK22 (650L)

I'm just wondering what are the actual step down lumen values and times when they drop down from their highest output setting - when the protective circuit kicks in after a few minutes when on full / turbo? Can't find the actual specs for this on the respective manufacturers websites. I'm still looking for a decent output after that first 'uber lumens' high as it were, and not too much of a drop in power. Very tempted by the Klarus lights - just depends on their lumen output for their remaining high mode?

Any help most welcome :)

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK22 steps down only after 22 minutes which means it's unlikely your light will step down often. I think it might step down to high after that. You can see a nice review here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?352542-Fenix-TK22-Review-(1x-18650-or-2x-CR123)
I think Fenix recently released an XM-L2 version with 680 lumens. Considering they didn't drive the light too hard, the step down is still at 22 minutes.

As for the XT11, check out self built review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO
The XM-L model stepped down after 3 minutes. He mentions 550 lumens but on R/CR123 so with the 18650 would have been less than that.

I have mostly Fenix and Klarus lights: for build quality and customer service I'd go with Fenix without thinking twice about it. That said, I haven't had a problem with Klarus - other than clips and holsters missing or not fitting. The lights themselves all still work though. When I decided to buy an XM-L light, I considered both the TK22 and XT11 and went for the Klarus because of the great UI and the fact that I don't like side switches. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone with the Fenix TK22.

Don't know much about the ST11. I think it has a couple of nice feature like the 1-lumen low and the USB charger.

All in all, I'd forget about which is the brightest, I'd compare the UI, step-downs, and go with the one you like best.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

YetiFlash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Labrador - a great help with the links . In the reviews it states that the Klarus XT11 (600L) steps down after some three minutes to roughly a third lumen output. And the Fenix TK22 steps down from Turbo at 650L to High at 250L after 22 minutes. Pretty impressive stats for both really. So the choice would be either longer output at highest output with the Fenix or roughly two thirds maintained output with the Klarus XT11 (600)?

I wonder what the stats are going to be the for the upgraded XT11 and the ST11 - does anyone have any experience of them?

I also found the stats of the Fenix PD35 interesting too - especially for the compact size and weight of the unit - could be a possibility. The only disappointment being it does not have a stainless steel head.

Are there any others I should be considering? The only caveat is that I prefer a simple UI.

klickmans

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Labrador - a great help with the links . In the reviews it states that the Klarus XT11 (600L) steps down after some three minutes to roughly a third lumen output. And the Fenix TK22 steps down from Turbo at 650L to High at 250L after 22 minutes. Pretty impressive stats for both really. So the choice would be either longer output at highest output with the Fenix or roughly two thirds maintained output with the Klarus XT11 (600)?

I wonder what the stats are going to be the for the upgraded XT11 and the ST11 - does anyone have any experience of them?

I also found the stats of the Fenix PD35 interesting too - especially for the compact size and weight of the unit - could be a possibility. The only disappointment being it does not have a stainless steel head.

Are there any others I should be considering? The only caveat is that I prefer a simple UI.

The Fenix PD35 is my first LED.

Small package, BIG light.

Very powerful Strobe, and really nice lowlight that will keep it running for long time. Extremely good spill in this light, it really lights up my evening walk with my dog. I will use PD35 as my reference in the future. I will compare it with my next (90% sure) flashlight: T
he upgraded XT11

YetiFlash

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix PD35 is high on the list, but I've also just found the reviews and details of the Nitecore SRT range and I'm real liking what I'm seeing - especially as I really like the UI on the Nitecore as its virtually the same as my Jetbeam :)

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Apologies Norm :)

Last edited:

TheVat26

Enlightened
I have three Klarus lights and really like them all. Rs11, Xt2c, and xt2a. Very great beams, more biased for flood. I just bought my brother a pd32 (315 lumen version) and I have to admit it is just as bright as my xt2c with better color rendering and better build quality. Especially the thickness and crispness of the threads on the fenix. I'm not saying Klarus threads are junk or the build quality is junk. Klarus makes the lights durable enough for whatever you throw at it.

My experience with the output if Klarus lights is that they are very bright at first. Even if on past the three minute, I find the step down noticeable, but not disappointing. For my rs11, I would guess I only lose about 20-30 yards less throw after step down, which isn't bad at all considering the runtime is much longer at 400ish lumens versus the max of 600.

Any high output light is going to step down in the interest of heat. Correct me if I am wrong but the pd35 I believe steps down after 5 minutes from 850 to 450. Now that's a big step down but 450 is still a bunch of light. If I were you, I would try to personally hold and test the light yourself as everyone here has their preferences of tints, size, and UI. I like high mode as the first mode turned on and not so much a fan of mode memory. Until Fenix steals the Klarus XT UI, I will stick with Klarus. Fenix is tempting me though and Im sure I will give into my temptation and get a pd35 to add to my flashlight I don't really need but want list.

YetiFlash

Newly Enlightened
Well, after much consideration and watching umpteen YouTube videos, and reading through the reviews on here, a decision has been made and I've just placed an order for a Fenix PD35. Next up will be 18650 batteries and a charger.

I know its had some mixed comments on CPF, but the more I absorbed the stats, the more the Fenix PD35's capabilities seem appropriate for what I need.
Main reason being that I like the size and form factor, especially the light weight for bike use, not to mention the power to size ratio as well. I also thought it would be interesting to try a new UI after using the magnetic ring interface on my Jetbeam RRT-0, my first 'real' flashlight as it were - still in use and will now be semi-retired for light household or possibly car EDC duties!

Even with the necessary thermal step down from 850L Turbo to 450L High after 5 mins, the 450 lumen output will be some 200L greater than what I'm used to, so it should be an interesting step up in comparative power.

I was sorely tempted by the Klarus, and especially the Nitecore SRT ranges, and perhaps will plunge for possibly the Nitecore SRT6 if I don't take to the Fenix UI.

In theory, the PD35 should make a good cycle light, with the cooling air flowing over the head potentially lessening the necessity for it drop down too quickly - we will see ! Use as a cycle light will be a primary function with the pending Autumn UK months and dark evening training rides. I'll report back with experience through use :)

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Hello I have the same dilemma I am looking for a EDC with bike lighting as a primary use, how are you finding the PD35, I have also been considering the TK22SE and did see a zebra SC600Mk2 but the zebra is out of my budget really....

PD35 is more likely than the TK22 as its form factor is better and its lighter and brighter, however it after the step down to 450 dose it not then step down again after 30 mins to170??? As its a timer not thermal controlled so it steps down after 30mins on 450 even of it was perfectly cold???

Or dose it stay at 450 meaning it lasts the whole two hours, I would be out for around 2-4 hours but have a spare battery for the longer rides...

Thank you very much in advance.

P.s here is my original thread I made before I found this.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?373105-Fenix-Power-step-down-How-dose-it-work

ven

Flashaholic
The Fenix PD35 is high on the list, but I've also just found the reviews and details of the Nitecore SRT range and I'm real liking what I'm seeing - especially as I really like the UI on the Nitecore as its virtually the same as my Jetbeam :)

Have a look at the nitecore p25, 860lm on turbo for 20mins then drops to high 550lm.......just a thought,also option of USB charging

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened

Have a look at the nitecore p25, 860lm on turbo for 20mins then drops to high 550lm.......just a thought,also option of USB charging

He already has a PD35, however I will cheack that out as I'm looking for the same thing, waiting on feed back from yeti currently.

He mentioned it would not drop down from 450 to 170 with air cooling but I'm not sure that's correct...I think its on a timer? Well that's the impression o get from the thread I linked in my last reply about two posts up.

TheVat26

Enlightened
In the interest of cool air on the light when cycle riding, reminds me of a review of the Sirefire Eb2. Tests were done with and without a cooling fan showing the cooling fan test yielded brighter light on the runtime graph, but the total runtime was shorter than the test without a cooling fan. The non cooling fan test had lower output through the runtime curve, but the runtime was a bit longer. Wonder how the PD35 would do since burst and turbo step down within short periods.

Wonder how the OP is liking the 35?

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Now that is interesting, and I agree with you I want to know how the OP is finding the 35 for bike use, its just this one niggling thing stopping me from knowing it perfect at the moment, it needs to be able to hold that 450 for a while not just 30 mins, that why I am hoping with cooling it can, which makes sense, unless its timed, in which case you could berry it the Arctic ice and it would still drop down from 450,after 30 mins.

I'm hoping I can use this as a bike light rather than buy this for EDC as well as a book light, if I do have to get a bike light I'll likely go with a lezyene super drive XL.

Latest posts