Klarus XT11 2014 (XM-L2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, + more!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

Most lights usually "step down" from the initial high lumens output (710). In looking at the chart, it does appear that the output steps down to a more useable light output (425) based on the battery used. I think that if the light is turned off, and then turned back on again, and the voltage isn't to low, that it would turn on in the high mode again and go through the step down process all over again.

Selfbuilt would provide much better information than I. As you can see by his awesome reviews, he knows his stuff when it comes to lights!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, that is right. The light steps down after a few mins. But you can easily restore max output by turning off and on.

Or at least, as high a level as the batteries allow. Certainly as they drain, max output will drop somewhat.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Potential Issues

As before, the light uses PWM on all modes (including Hi) at a detectable ~850-880 Hz. I find this perfectly fine on Med and Hi (i.e., not visually-distracting), but it may be an issue for some of the Lo mode.

Interface in unchanged from before (e.g., the light lacks a memory mode, and always comes on in Hi).

Light uses an electronic tail switch, and therefore requires a stand-by current when fully connected. However, this is negligible (<1uA) in my testing, and not a concern. You can always lock-out the light with a simple tailcap twist, thanks to the anodized threads.

As before, output is higher (and runtime lower) on 2x battery sources compared to 1x18650."

Thank you for the review. I got the all-black version, and has a detectable PWM on Lo mode. Although it is intermittent, and goes away after a while. This is probably the only downside on otherwise an almost perfect tactical-type EDC. It has replaced my E2D Led as my primary EDC, and that is saying a lot.

And for Selfbuilt's measurement running on 18650 - my obeservation is around the same, the Lo mode is definitely weaker than 5 lumens, and I actually think it is a plus for me, preferring the 1 or sub-lumen mode for Lo.

And one more thing, the beam is very nice, a well balanced throw and flood, cool tint. A happy camper here, solid light!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
after a few weeks, the pwm at low mode is present, and is a bit annoying, like a candle haha. otherwise almost my primary edc choice...

Nighted

Newly Enlightened
Cheap secondary mode switch. Not recommended for any professional use.

Notice that my switch is different than the one in Selfbuilt's photos.

uWi5obW.jpg

Last edited:

markeday

Newly Enlightened
Hey Selfbuilt I see you said there's a standby drain, mine with a fully tightened tailcap will drain down a few cr 123 batteries pretty quickly,like a few hours. I go to turn the light on and it drops to a lower level and starts the warning flash, any thoughts?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hey Selfbuilt I see you said there's a standby drain, mine with a fully tightened tailcap will drain down a few cr 123 batteries pretty quickly,like a few hours. I go to turn the light on and it drops to a lower level and starts the warning flash, any thoughts?
That's certainly not right. Sounds like these is a short somewhere, if it is draining down cells within hours. I would give everything a thorough clean (in case some sort of conductive lube/grease as spread over contacts). If it persists, I'd contact Klarus about a repair/replacement.

Nighted

Newly Enlightened
If it persists, I'd contact Klarus about a repair/replacement.

I tried that and Klarus has done nothing. 5 months I've waited and nothing. Now they don't even reply to my email.

I do not recommend Klarus. Unfortunately I am not the only one who Klarus is treating this way. It does not take much searching to find very similar accounts to my own.