Klarus XT11S (XP-L HI V3, 1x18650 / 2xCR123, 1100 Lumens, 330 m Throw ) Review

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, new Klarus XT11S is in for a review. This one has a lot of features, but I will try to keep it simple and neat.

Section 1

6KxKz5p.png

wrvJoSz.jpg

Klarus XT11S will come to you in a black and red cardboard box with quite extensive list of accessories : Instruction manual written in English and Chinese, USB to Micro USB charging cable, pocket clip, Very nice holster with a fey carry options, a lanyard, 2600 mAh battery (bonus points for that) and one spare O-ring which you will lose in a grass if you want to take pictures outside.

Features and specifications stated by Klarus

hIV5K0e.jpg

Features

• Upgraded 4th generation ultra-compact, lightweight, super-bright tactical flashlight Superior performance protected by two original patents
• The CREE XP-L HI V3 LED, delivering a maximum output of 1100 lumens, provides a strong spotlight with a maximum beam distance of up to 330 metres
• Dual tactical tail switch as well as side switch are easy to operate and designed to satisfy any user requirements
• Multi-purpose with clear, versatile functions: Straight 2 Strobe, Instant Turbo, Instant Low-light, Memorized Function ability, SOS, Side
Switch Lock Function, Battery Capacity Indicator, USB Rechargeable, ITS Smart Temperature Control System, Easy Mode Change
• Ultra compact and lightweight (head diameter 34.9mm, body diameter 25.4mm, length 139mm), net weight 115g (without battery).
• Patented dual tactical tail switch for easy non-visual, one-handed touch operation; Quick and easy to correctly locate the switches in the dark and activate the flashlight
instantly
• Three operating modes: Classic Tactical Setting,Outdoor Setting and Tactical Assault Setting
• Direct Recharging Function: Micro-USB general charging port with protective cover, giving dustproof, antifouling and waterproof properties
• Smart digital charging system tracks charging to ensure rapid, safe recharging and prevent overcharging
• Smart ITS temperature control system monitors internal temperature and adjusts output for maximum brightness, protecting the LEDs
and internal components to ensure safety, stability and optimum performance
• Constant current circuit with no PWM dimming to prevent flickering
• Side switch incorporates a specially designed lock function to prevent accidental illumination
This precludes power drainage during storage or travelling and prevents eye damage should children play with the flashlight
• Battery capacity indicator display enables you to control usage according to remaining charge
• Dual springs in head and tail for improved drop and shock resistance
• Reverse-battery protection prevents damage to both flashlight and battery
• Aircraft grade aluminum, CNC precision machined cell, Military III hard anodic oxidation, wear resistant, portable and strong
• Stainless Steel bezel design for better protection of internal components
• Integrated head and tube design for more efficient heat dissipation
• Durable tempered glass lens with AR film plating for scratch resistance

Specifications

• Utilizes CREE XP-L HI V3 LED with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours
• Classic Tactical Setting as factory default
• Working voltage: 2.5V-8.4V
• Compatible Batteries: 1x 18650 battery with PCB protection or 2 x CR123A batteries ( Do not use 16340 batteries)
• Charging time: Depends on the battery capacity
Formula: charging time= (capacity of battery/1000mA+1H)
• Body colour: Black
• Reflector: Smooth reflector
• Switch type: Dual Tactical Tail Switch and Side Switch
• Dimension: (Head)34.9mm×(Body)25.4mm×(Length)139mm
• Net weight: 115 g (Excluding battery)
• Material: Aircraft-grade aluminum 6061-T6, Type III hard-anodized
• Waterproof: IPX-8 (underwater 2 metres)
• Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass with anti-corrosion AR coating

Section two- First impressions
I would say that the built quality is the first thing you will notice when you take XT11S in your hands. It is truly built like a tank. Massive crenelated bezel, wide cooling fins and the fact that the head and a body are made from one peace all contribute to the feeling that it could survive much more than 1 meter drop that Klarus guaranties. HAIII anodizing is done evenly and without chips on my sample.

xxhNueZ.jpg

UXA8TT4.jpg

5SO9O4d.jpg

Klarus XT11S is a nice size for a double/triple switch 1x18650 flashlight. Easy to hold on to and with a nice, just a little top heavy, balance.

z4Vr8Ix.jpg

Details of the flashlights head showing micro USB port and a side switch with three colour LED for indicating battery status.

ZLD8x5u.jpg

Tail cap with two switches and single lanyard hole.

UCmxtu0.jpg

Details of the precisely square cut not anodized treads. I must mention that you should clean them with 90% alcohol and lube them since they came with some aluminium shavings. The tactical ring is removable and made out of aluminium. Tactical ring does not lock and it also has a lanyard hole. You can also see that there are battery springs in the body and on a tail cap. Spring are gold plated and the one on the tail cap is a double spring. I couldn't see if the one in the body is a double one too. Writing is clear and kinda golden yellowish. I like it because it is not as obtrusive as some really white writings can be. Knurling is not too aggressive, I would say around average.

97k8OSu.jpg

Klarus XT11S pocket clip doesn't allow for deep carry leaving the whole tail cap exposed. The flashlight fits in a holster both heads up and head down. You can also see the unbuttoned flap for attaching the holster to a back pack or some other part of your gear. There is a plastic D ring on it, too.

Section three- User interface
Bear with me now. This flashlight has three operational settings and a lot of features between them.

Operational settings:
- Classic tactical setting
- Outdoor setting
- Tactical assault setting

You will receive the flashlight with Classic tactical setting, so let's start with it.

CLASSIC TACTICAL SETTING

BVW4l6y.jpg

Primary switch:
- Momentary turbo is available by tapping the primary switch. Press the primary switch for constant turbo ON and press it again for OFF.
Mode switch:
- Pressing the mode switch from OFF will give you momentary strobe. If you keep it pressed for 2-3 seconds it will stay in constant strobe. To turn the strobe off, just press the mode switch again.
- From ON, pressing the mode switch for 2-3 seconds will turn on the momentary strobe. If you release it, it will, depending if the flashlight was turned on with side switch or with primary switch: Go to OFF if the flashlight was turned on with side switch, or go back to turbo mode if the flashlight was turned on with primary switch. If you keep the mode switch pressed 2-3 seconds from ON it will turn on the constant strobe.
- Tapping the mode switch from on will cycle through all the standard modes (Turbo, high, medium, low) in descending order.
Side switch:
-Clicking the side switch will cycle through all the standard modes in descending order. The flashlight has a memory for last used mode when you turn it on with side switch if it was turned off with side switch also.
-To turn OFF with the side switch hold the side switch pressed for 1 second.
Note: Turning the flashlight off with side switch in this setting is only possible if it was turned on with side switch.
- Pressing the side switch for more than 1 second from off will enter the low mode.
- Double clicking the side switch will enter constant strobe. Double click again will enter SOS mode. Single click from the strobe or SOS will bring back the flashlight to it's previous mode.

OUTDOOR SETTING
BVW4l6y.jpg

Primary switch:
- Momentary turbo is available by tapping the primary switch. Press the primary switch for constant turbo ON and press it again for OFF.

Mode switch:
- Pressing the mode switch from OFF will turn on the momentary low mode.
- Pressing and holding the mode switch from OFF will turn on the constant low mode.
- From ON you can cycle with mode switch through all the standard modes (low, medium, high and turbo) in ascending order.
- You can turn off the flashlight using the mode switch by keeping it pressed for 1 second if it was turned on with mode switch or with a side switch.
Side switch:
NOTE: Side switch in this setting operates in the way as it operates for the Classic tactical setting
-Clicking the side switch will cycle through all the standard modes in descending order. The flashlight has a memory for last used mode when you turn it on with side switch if it was turned off with side switch also.
-To turn OFF with the side switch hold the side switch pressed for 1 second.
Note: Turning the flashlight off with side switch in this setting is only possible if it was turned on with side switch.
- Pressing the side switch for more than 1 second from off will enter the low mode.
- Double clicking the side switch will enter constant strobe. Double click again will enter SOS mode. Single click from the strobe or SOS will bring back the flashlight to it's previous mode.

TACTICAL ASSAULT SETTING:

BVW4l6y.jpg

Primary switch:

Mode switch:
- Momentary strobe is available by tapping the mode switch.
- Pressing and holding the mode switch will turn on the constant strobe.
- Short pressing the mode switch from constant strobe will turn off the flashlight.

Side switch:
In Tactical Assault setting side switch is not active. Also, battery indicator doesn't work in this setting.

Changing the user settings:

BVW4l6y.jpg

To change the user setting from OFF you need to press the side switch and keep it pressed for 10 seconds. When the light starts to flicker, you need to press the mode switch while still holding the side switch to cycle through modes. The light will blink once to indicate that it is in Setting 1, twice for Setting 2 and three times for setting 3. After you choose the mode, release the side switch to save it.

Lock-out function
Since XT11S can't be locked with loosening the tail cap (not anodized threads), there is a side switch lock-out. From OFF press the side switch for 5 seconds until the light blinks twice. The side switch is locked now. If you try to press it, LED indicator light behind the side switch will rapidly blink in green color. To unlock the side switch just triple press the side switch.
Side switch lock only works with Classic tactical and Outdoor setting since in the Tactical Assault setting side switch is locked anyway.

Battery indicator
Klarus XT11S has a battery status indicator LED in the side switch that is illuminated in green, orange or red color depending on the battery status. Battery indicator only works when using 18650 cells and is limited to Classic tactical and Outdoor setting.
The battery indicator will illuminate:
- Green for 70- 100% charge
- Orange for 30- 70% charge
- Red for less than 30 % charge
Flickering red light will indicate that there is less than 10% capacity available.

USB charging function
Klarus XT11s has a micro USB port to allow charging with up to 1000mAh. Battery indicator light will be illuminated during the charging to indicate the status battery status. When the light turns to green, the battery is fully charged.

Section four- Klarus XT11S as my EDC light

Using the XT11S does take some getting used to. It is very feature rich and at first it might be a little overwhelming switching from a simpler light. It might seem that the three switch design is overkill, but I believe that most of the users will find the user setting they prefer and not change them a lot thus getting used to the three switch design. I have found myself cycling through two settings the most. Tactical assault when I'm leaving it at night in a hallway (just in case), for instant strobe and turbo access and the Outdoor setting most of the time since I like ramping up the brightness levels, and this is the only mode that allows ramping up via the mode button.
Heavy duty crenelated bezel gives a confidence that it could be used for self defense without damaging the lense.
We tried the strobe feature after sitting in the dark for some time and I can safely say that it does a great job. Note that if you turn on the constant strobe it will change its frequency from time to time.
Klarus XT11S is not really pocketable flashlight (I'm talking about a pants pockets here). It is possible to carry it that way, but I believe that most folks will not find it is the most comfortable carry option. Since I don't usually like to carry much stuff in my pants pockets anyway I have found carrying it holstered in my messenger bag or without holster in my jacket pocket on a colder days.
What I really like about this flashlight is spacing of the brightness levels.
Low at 10 lumens, medium at 100, high at 400 and turbo mode at 1100 lumens. Perfect spacing giving every level its application.
ITS thermal control system does a good job keeping the flashlights body not too hot while gradually decreasing the output.

Now let's see some beam shots.

First i took some comparing shots between Klarus XT11S (on the left) and another XP-L HI V3 LED flashlight, the Nitecore MH20GT on the right.

zZRd1xs.jpg

You can see that the beam shape is not perfectly round on Klarus XT11S on white wall shots from three feet away. Those irregularities are caused by crenelated bezel and they disappear once you move away from the wall past 5 or 6 feet.

Low mode 10 lumens- 7 yards away from the wall.

pvRyxgR.jpg

Medium mode 100 lumens at 7 yards

7RCUXUp.jpg

High mode- 400 lumens at 7 yards

wBLx2pc.jpg

Turbo mode- 1000 lumens at 7 yards

jqkUIo7.jpg

Turbo mode-1100 lumens at around 30 yards

c4o127F.jpg

Turbo mode- 1100 lumens at 50 yards

WDiNaFs.jpg

Turbo mode- 1100 lumens at 85 yards

Y0rG4WS.jpg

Turbo mode- 1100 lumens at around 150 yards

ba1YbzD.jpg

Wrap up

Klarus XT11S:
- Built like a tank
- Feature rich with three settings operation
- Designed for weapon mounting
- USB charging function
- ITS thermal regulation
- Great strobe
- Supplied with 2600 mAh battery
- Cost me nothing (Klarus provided a sample for this review)

8vk7NEQ.jpg

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. Do the Nitecore MH20GT same size Hot spot and spill? Can you post picture comparison.

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. Do the Nitecore MH20GT same size Hot spot and spill? Can you post picture comparison.

White wall picture I posted should give you some idea, but I could make some outdoor shots tomorrow. I would say that both the hot spot and the spill on the Klarus are just a tad bigger.

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
So the MH20GT is better for EDC with almost same power as Klaus with better throw :)
Oh, well, they are quite different flashlights. Aside from LED and throw in compact package, I don't see they share a lot things. MH20GT is more pocket friendly, but Klarus offers more to the tactical oriented users. Both are EDCable, but if you are looking to something to fit easily in your pocket, MH20GT is more logical choice.

Chuoiz

Newly Enlightened
can you also post a pic of the xt11s and mh20gt for by side for size comparison?