Knife for hiking/camping? or a multi tool is better off? (SoCal)

stockae92

Enlightened
i am wondering if carrying a folding knife is a good idea for hiking/camping?

(if so, which are the recommendation? or would a fixed blade be better?)

or would i be better off with a multi tool with blade? (or both?)

i am in SoCal so i need to find out the law regarding that as well

Malpaso

Enlightened
Here's what I do:

sog1.jpg

sog2.jpg

sog3.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
Depending on what you might be doing, and what supplies you're already carrying, a simple tough and light folder could suffice. I believe Doug Ritter (equipped.org) says that a fixed blade is the best knife for survival, but it seems a lot of backpackers prefer a lightweight folder. For that, I would pick a knife like the Spyderco Military, or the smaller Paramilitary.

Personally, I would prefer a dedicated folder, but it seems some backpackers get along fine with a SAK.

highorder

Enlightened
my buddy has a SEAL knife and lives it. the SEAL pup is fine for camping as well. I have a Cold Steel SRK that I love, plus the knife I made in homage to the Tracker...

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
what kind of hiking or camping are you talking about. The folks i hike/camp with are into ultralight and we carry small fixed blade titanium knives. :)

ken

highorder

Enlightened
we carry small fixed blade titanium knives.

what good is that? unless you mean Ti handles. Ti blades are exotic and almost useless.

I carry a folder and a fixed blade, as well as a Gerber camp axe. I need and use them all in the back country.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti blades function quite well in my experience. They're a bit more brittle than a steel blade. But as long as you don't abuse your knife and you feel like paying the extra cash I don't see a problem with Ti. It has its advantages and disadvantages just like when comparing two types of steel. In the end all that matters is you use the right tool for the right job.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personnally like the Kit Carson M16 knives, I have yet to break one (did drop one tip down on cement) they are simple and effective plus when the Lawks is engaged it really won't fold on you ever you could cut a blade into the back side and cut with it it wouldn't fold, after giving the only on I currently had I am looking into buying a new larger M16,, I also hav ea leatherman surge which has eithe ra metal file or a saw and both can be carried in a pouch its an amazing tool. Thats part of the stuff I carry.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksonger said:
what kind of hiking or camping are you talking about. The folks i hike/camp with are into ultralight and we carry small fixed blade titanium knives. :)

ken

No titanium knife can compare to a good steel one. If the weight of a Spyderco Salt (57g) is too much to carry I'd consider doing some exercise;)

I'd recommend a small fixed blade or folder and a small SAK. If you want good and cheap buy a Mora.
Spyderco makes lots of very nice folders, the Salt series also doesn't rust at all while still being sharp.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Salt spydie on staying rust free and sharp.
But that would be great for as a back up knife.

Its more hefty but a good fixed blade would still be best for any outdoor.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what you are going to use it for and it depends on what kind of hiker/camper you are. I am guessing you most likely do not know what ultralite hiking/camping actually is. :) In the old days i used to carry my tried and true randall model 1 with me. things change. btw, 57 grams is way too heavy for my purposes and i already do a fair amount of exercise. :) YMMV

BTW, i agree with the MORA, i have one in every glovebox and the bags on my motorcycle as well as my toolbox. Just no room for all that weight in my pack! :)

Ken

NoFair said:
No titanium knife can compare to a good steel one. If the weight of a Spyderco Salt (57g) is too much to carry I'd consider doing some exercise;)

I'd recommend a small fixed blade or folder and a small SAK. If you want good and cheap buy a Mora.
Spyderco makes lots of very nice folders, the Salt series also doesn't rust at all while still being sharp.

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
SAK Rucksack has a locking blade and the best wood saw in the business and is vary lite.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksonger said:
Depends on what you are going to use it for and it depends on what kind of hiker/camper you are. I am guessing you most likely do not know what ultralite hiking/camping actually is. :) In the old days i used to carry my tried and true randall model 1 with me. things change. btw, 57 grams is way too heavy for my purposes and i already do a fair amount of exercise. :) YMMV

BTW, i agree with the MORA, i have one in every glovebox and the bags on my motorcycle as well as my toolbox. Just no room for all that weight in my pack! :)

Ken

I know what ultralight hiking is, but I'd take the extra quallity over something 20g lighter...

I'm a field biologist and usually have about 90-120 days in the field each year so I'm not a car camper;)

I used to be infantry and even though I like travelling light I'm used to 60+ pound load outs.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
If I am just going for a short day hike close to civilization I usually just carry my SAK farmer and another folder like a Benchmade Griptillian. For longer trips I throw in a a fixed blade. I just ordered a SOG Revolver. I like the fact that it doubles as a saw. If you are worried about weight something like the Gerber multi-tool pictured above and a lightweight fixed blade like this will do.

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=26&products_id=152

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
Interesting that you somehow can judge the quality of my titanium knife without actually seeing it or having any information about it! I thought i was careful to say that it depended on the type of hiking/camping you are into. trust me, if you are into ultralite you would not be toting 65lbs of stuff around and packing a 60gram knife. what has made you the arbiter of quality and appropriateness? For the purposes that i carry the knife for it is, umm, ideal. For your purposes, perhaps not. I did not suggest that YOU carry a titanium knife although the mission mpf might be tempting. :)

ken

NoFair said:
I know what ultralight hiking is, but I'd take the extra quallity over something 20g lighter...

I'm a field biologist and usually have about 90-120 days in the field each year so I'm not a car camper;)

I used to be infantry and even though I like travelling light I'm used to 60+ pound load outs.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been backpacking and camping for nearly 30 years. For backpacking, weight is important and I usually carry a small folding knife. For camping from the car I carry a small folder and/or a multitool, but in my gear I also have a couple of fixed blade knives, one of which is a Cold Steel SRK. I've owned the SRK for about 10 years, and I don't think I've had a reason to use it yet on a camping trip. My folding knife is typically used for opening packages, making sandwiches, etc. I've never had to chop down trees, sharpen stakes, or anything like that.