Kydex Sheaths

pblanch

Enlightened
Just had a thought and couldn't find many examples in the CPF.

Anyone made any for a small light like a Nitecore MT20GT?

Been thinking of one myself and am thinking of giving it a go. Any downsides. Scratching ect.

Is it a pipe dream? They work well with knives but the small cylindrical nature of lights might not be suited. Any thoughts?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I bend Kydex as a hobby for knives, axes and firesteels etc but never really considered doing so for a flashlight. It's dirt which gets embedded into the Kydex which can scratch metal if one isn't careful during the making and use of the sheath. Looking at that light Kydex should work but again never done it for a flashlight.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I have thought about this and I think HDS offers a kydex "sheath" for their lights. Not the light you have but maybe a good place for ideas?

CrocodileAgent

Newly Enlightened
would be interested if not just for that awesome kydex deployment sound. though i foresee some very heavy scarring on edc light

pblanch

Enlightened
It's dirt which gets embedded into the Kydex which can scratch metal if one isn't careful during the making and use of the sheath.

I didn't know that about kydex.

Around town I carry in my deep pockets but when at work I wear gloves a lot and wanted it on my belt. The pouch that comes with torches is fine but liked the idea of sliding it out of a sheath.

I mainly work in the Pilbara region in Australia and the red dust gets into EVERYTHING and does not wash off. I regularly bring my SC600 and the white lettering always comes back discoloured (even after a wash - I need to scrub with detergent and a scourer brush to remove)

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I didn't know that about kydex.

Around town I carry in my deep pockets but when at work I wear gloves a lot and wanted it on my belt. The pouch that comes with torches is fine but liked the idea of sliding it out of a sheath.

I mainly work in the Pilbara region in Australia and the red dust gets into EVERYTHING and does not wash off. I regularly bring my SC600 and the white lettering always comes back discoloured (even after a wash - I need to scrub with detergent and a scourer brush to remove)

Yup Metal > than plastic but rock > than metal. Kydex alone won't scratch anything but really it's 1/2 dozen of another. Even hardened knife steel will get scratches from sand embedded in Kydex. The worst issue is from sanding when making the sheath. Great effort must be made to keep everything clean. If you have a dirty dusty environment and dislike scratches Kydex might not be for you.

GZire

Newly Enlightened
would be interested if not just for that awesome kydex deployment sound. though i foresee some very heavy scarring on edc light

I agree with this and would disagree that it's purely down to foreign material being embedded in the kydex. Kydex is rough on finishes and depending how good the anodizing or other finish is you will see major variations on how the wear is shown.

Woods Walker

I agree with this and would disagree that it's purely down to foreign material being embedded in the kydex. Kydex is rough on finishes and depending how good the anodizing or other finish is you will see major variations on how the wear is shown.

That's been my experience however only use it on knives, firesteels and axes. Never made a Kydex sheath for anodized stuff.

pblanch

Enlightened
Although I don't mind a few scratches on my gear( it show some character) I wouldn't normally scratch any of my knives or torches without a story behind it.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
I tried, with a cylindrical Fenix 2xAA and there wasn't enough area for the kydex to "grip" onto while sheathed. It ended up being too loose. It's nice when the kydex can be molded slightly over the choil of a knife, or even over thumbstuds as something to hold onto, and flex enough to make that "SNAP!" sound when deployed. If you had a light with a pronounced area for kydex grippage, it could work out much better. I like how knife sheaths are flatter, not sticking out from your body so much. The double AA body made for a large protruding sheath, when worn on the belt, sticking out much further than a flatter knife would. Maybe I just didn't give it time to get used to it, but it really makes you feel like you're wearing a utility belt.