L0D CE + Chapstick = ???

kavvika

Enlightened
I just recieved my L0D-CE this morning, and after reading this thread, I just had to go out and buy an All-Natural chapstick for the cap. Shame it'll never get used since I prefer Blistex Complete Moisture. Well, not only does it make a great candle, I keep the cap on in my pocket to protect the lens and prevent it from getting dusty. Also, it makes a great marker. I just got back from a long walk through a park/forest and when I didn't use the flashlight to see ahead of me, I put the cap on with it on low. It really helped, since there was a small road through the park and a few cars passed me. Also, it'd work great on strobe mode.

I forgot to add that I was carrying the light by an INOVA lanyard. That plus the chapstick cap on a L0D-CE makes an unbeatable EDC combo.

Last edited:

JohnT737

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to find an All-Natural chapstick. I've got several others and the caps are different colors and such. They really do look neat when used.
Oh well, I'll try another store.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad people are getting good use out of the Chapstick Natural idea. Now we need to come up with something for Boomerang and his P1 and my L1. I don't know the P1, but the L1 with a translucent cap would be great for camping.

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
LOL :laughing: I picked up my all natural chap stick today. My wife called me 'such a geek'. After trying it with a white cap...I had to try the translucent all natural one, it's great! I even cut down the spiral stem inside so I can just keep a spare 10440 in it as someone here suggested. thanks for the tips.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dobbler said:
For $1.99 it works OK. I think to get the best diffusion one would need a cap about 2.5-3.5x taller though.

How about this: get a piece of maybe 1/2" clear opaque heat shrink tube. Cut it to whatever length you feel is right. Slip one end over the head of the LOD-CE and heatgun the very end on the head until it shrinks just enough. Let it cool, and when you take it off it should provide a friction fit upon subsequent use. Then heat-seal or glue the opposite end closed. Just make sure you aren't using the shrink wrap with the adhesive built onto the inside surface! Instant diffuser tube, great to hang from the ceiling of a tent, or end-up to light the room.

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
I was thinking you could build an N cell flashlight out of a Chapstick tube...

Toshi

Burgess

Flashaholic
TMorita -

Your "Chapstick flashlight" is a brilliant idea !

goodjob.gif

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Aww I thought I was the one who discovered this... I also discovered you can do this with the streamlight keymate. It actually SNAPS inside the little bevel. There couldnt possibly be a more perfect fit! :)

dscn0739tr7.jpg

dscn0740or5.jpg

dscn0738id6.jpg

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Very cool. You might not be the first, but at least you let us know what brand you used, so thanks for sharing that:) I'd like to get another fenix someday, good to know what's compatible.

mattchase

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying chapstick in my pocket for about 15 years now (no, not the same one!), now I have an L0D too and love this idea. I'm not afraid to admit (to you guys at least) that I actually giggled a little when I turned the L0D on with the cap mounted. Yeah, I knew you would understand. Yeah, I need a shrink.

One question though, is there any heat issue with enclosing the front of the flashlight? I suppose a pinhole in the top would probably help if there was any heat.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
Re: Capstick cap diffuser for 1xAAA lights

I'm bumping up an old thread because it is a good idea and I have a story to tell. I was shopping at Target and I came across this:

All I wanted was a three pack of regular chapstick, but this was the only thing I could find on the rack. And for the same price as a regular three pack, I decided to get it, I could always just toss the "100% Naturals" stick.

I decided to try the "100% Naturals" anyway before I tossed it, so I took it out of the package.

I took the cap off, and realized holy ****, it's translucent, this could work as a diffuser cap.

Sure enough, it fits perfectly on the head of an L0D-CE:

I had a recollection that I read about this idea on CPF before, so I did a search, and found this thread, which I then remembered reading a while back.

I tried the cap on my new Liteflux LF2XT. It turns out the LF2XT head is slightly larger than an L0D-CE head, so it doesn't fit as-is. I cut four slots around the rim of the cap, so it could expand, and now it *does* fit on the LF2XT:

Here are a couple shots of the diffuser cap in action, taken on the landing at the top of the basement stairs (darkest place in the house in the middle of the day). The shots are uncontrolled, handheld, automatic exposure. I did set the white balance for daylight. The L0D-CE is running NiMH max, the LF2XT is running 10440 at 30%. I did Photoshop the pictures (equally) to do a bit of levels correction.

L0D-CE

LF2XT

I hope people find this useful.

EssLight

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep ! :thumbsup:

Been doing precisely this for YEARS now.

Just wish i could find a similar cap to fit a NiteCore EZAA.

And, of course, my LiteFlux LF5XT.

:D
_

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
A Crazy glue tube cover fits the E01, Leatherman S2 (guessing LOD) iTP EOS. For the E01 it is only has about a 1/8 inch on the front bezel however this is enough for a hanging lantern. Use this all the time under my cooking tarp in bad weather. If the weather is good then I just hang it in a tree for area lighting. Helps me find my way back to camp after a water run etc.

100_2755.jpg

100_2799.jpg

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
hmm.. i just placed an order for 1 TA21, 1 P2D, and 5 E01s, to add to my TA30, TA21 and LD20. but after reading that about the L0D's I might have to order one of those too!