L3 Illumination L10 failed...TWICE!

edmunny

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been following the forum for quite a while but this will be my first post :).

So I purchased an L3 Illumination L10 with a Nichia 219 (with firefly) last April after looking for a 1 x AA backup light. Reviews seemed positive and being that all my lights where of the cool white variety I was also interested in trying something with a warmer tint. I received the light and it seemed (almost) perfect for my needs. It's small, lightweight, good spacing, takes standard cells, great beam pattern, and the tint of the 219 just blew me away. The first light I compared it to was my SC52, and although I knew that light had a less than ideal greenish tint, after seeing it side by side with the L3, it starting spending way more time in the drawer than out.

Anyhow, after less than two months of light use I knock the light over, it proceeds to roll off my nightstand and falls onto the hardwood floor. I pick up the light and to my surprise the light won't activate. I figured it might have had a defect since I owned over a dozen lights which have all seen more use and have been dropped or fallen numerous times without issue. I emailed the retailer (SBFlashlights) describing my situation and asked how to proceed with getting a replacement. They responded after a week telling me that drops were not covered under warranty and that they would replace the light for a $5 fee plus $3.50 shipping. I emailed them saying that I would consider a light falling less than 15" should be considered normal usage, and that 99 times out of 100 that should not cause a light to fail. I would consider any light which could not pass that test as utterly useless.

I received no response after almost three weeks and sent a follow up email shortly thereafter. They finally responded saying any light up to $200 can fail if it gets bumped in the wrong place, although they did admit that the L10 did have a higher than standard failure rate and that the heads were now potted for extra protection. Being that I had better things to do than continue to argue and I really liked the light (I'd since purchased an L10C), I sent the $8.50 and mailed back the light.

I got the replacement fairly quickly and took it with me on a weekend trip. Used the light getting to and from the car, looking for things in my bag, while grilling meat at night (the high CRI of the Nichia really shines when trying to tell medium rare from well done), etc. All was good until I got home yesterday and while unpacking my back the light again falls onto the floor, almost from the same distance. I thought to myself there's no way two lights could fail from such a small drop, especially since my new light was now "potted for extra protection". But of course the light was dead. So has anyone else had similar failures with this model, or am I just unlucky and received two lights that came from the same poorly constructed batch?

I would also love to hear replacement suggestions as I am definitely done with this brand and seller. I was planning on using this light as a backup / headlamp with a fenix headband on an upcoming camping trip with my SC62w as my primary. I'd love to stick with the 1 x AA / Nichia 219 combo, but as far as I can tell the D25A clicky Ti is my only option and I don't want to spend $75 on a backup AA light.

Thanks!

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

edmunny; said:
I would also love to hear replacement suggestions as I am definitely done with this brand and seller. I was planning on using this light as a backup / headlamp with a fenix headband on an upcoming camping trip with my SC62w as my primary. I'd love to stick with the 1 x AA / Nichia 219 combo, but as far as I can tell the D25A clicky Ti is my only option and I don't want to spend $75 on a backup AA light.

Thanks!

Please repost the above here Forum: Recommend Me a Light For... replies to your question would be off topic here.

Norm

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
Sorry you've had such extraordinarily bad luck w/the L10. I say bad luck because I have an early model in the exact config as yours, 4-mode N219 non-potted electronics, that has not only taken a number of drops on various surfaces...but has actually fallen from the top of the fridge to a ceramic tile floor without failure (other than a little chipped anno). *I even posted about this fridge drop in an early L10 thread.

Not doubting your claim at all as I too would be miffed if I suffered your failure rate. Not saying Craig at I. S. would necessarily do anything other than charge you the $8.50 again, but have you contacted him by email explaining the second failure yet? Perhaps he will do something extra for you on a third light? I bought mine at the time for $20 before these went up so I considered it a good deal on a N219 budget light (one of the very few at the time with this sought after emitter), and it has become one of my favorite EDC lights regardless of price.

It is true that any light can fail under the right circumstances as even Surefire, HDS, McGizmo owners etc. have reported failures occasionally. I also don't doubt that, as I. S. states, that the L10 probably has a somewhat higher failure rate than most premium brands, but you may want to contact them again since you've had a second failure in such a short time...you have nothing to loose at this point.

FWIW Illumination Supply is an honest dealer, *(I've bought countless lights, and especially batteries from them) as most dealers are on this forum, but most are small Mom & Pop businesses working on small margins and are just trying to make a living, and I would guess they get unreasonable requests for returns/exchanges a lot (or even scammed) and are thus fairly rigid in their failure return policy. If mine failed at this juncture...the $8.50 replacement cost would be reasonable to me considering my L10's age and abuse level.

That said, if I experienced your two back-to-back failures as reported...I'd probably throw in the towel as well (although maybe after contacting I. S. a 3rd time). I hope this situation works out to your satisfaction!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
That is horrible luck... I've EDC'd the L08 version for a while now without any issues, and I recommend it all the time...

A cheap alternative (I recommend this light all the time too) is the Shiningbeam Spark neutral tint, and buy a single AA parts tube to go with it.

Total of about $32, and you'll have three different battery tubes.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to stick with the 1 x AA / Nichia 219 combo, but as far as I can tell the D25A clicky Ti is my only option and I don't want to spend $75 on a backup AA light.

You could consider the aluminium D25A Nichia 219 for a lower cost ($40+).

Not doubting your claim at all as I too would be miffed if I suffered your failure rate. Not saying Craig at I. S. would necessarily do anything other than charge you the $8.50 again, but have you contacted him by email explaining the second failure yet? Perhaps he will do something extra for you on a third light? I bought mine at the time for $20 before these went up so I considered it a good deal on a N219 budget light (one of the very few at the time with this sought after emitter), and it has become one of my favorite EDC lights regardless of price.

FWIW Illumination Supply is an honest dealer, *(I've bought countless lights, and especially batteries from them) as most dealers are on this forum, but most are small Mom & Pop businesses working on small margins and are just trying to make a living, and I would guess they get unreasonable requests for returns/exchanges a lot (or even scammed) and are thus fairly rigid in their failure return policy. If mine failed at this juncture...the $8.50 replacement cost would be reasonable to me considering my L10's age and abuse level.

I believe the OP mentioned he bought his from SBFlashlights, not I.S. In any case, his issue is with the 2 failures rather than the dealer. I would be disappointed with the light and probably in the brand itself even if it's just my luck to encounter this issue twice in a row.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I believe the OP mentioned he bought his from SBFlashlights, not I.S. In any case, his issue is with the 2 failures rather than the dealer.

You're absolutely right Zeruel...I stand corrected. Guess I automatically thought of Illum. Supply since they sell L3 Illumination products too. At any rate, if it were me, I'd still contact the dealer to explain the second failure in case there is anything they could/would do.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the OP mentioned he bought his from SBFlashlights, not I.S. In any case, his issue is with the 2 failures rather than the dealer. I would be disappointed with the light and probably in the brand itself even if it's just my luck to encounter this issue twice in a row.

My googling skills are failing me, apparently. I am looking for a pocket light with a moonlight or near moonlight mode and I do like the 219 but I can't seem to find anything other than the Ti special editions myself.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can search through some of CPF's dealers for it, Going Gear has this in stock for now.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I think. Found 'em; after trying to read a book in a hospital room with my EDC Fenix E11 I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. Conflicted between the D25C 219 and a control ring light, but that's outside the scope of this thread...

DQD

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, I had a similar experience with a new L10C. I dropped it onto my hardwood floor from a height of around 3 feet, and it was dead. I wish more lights were engineered for durability.

I wonder if they really are moving toward potted models. I hope so. I love the feature set of the L10 four mode twisty with nichia 219, but I'm afraid to buy one after my experience with the L10C.

DQD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks also, Zeruel, for the heads up on where to get the Eagletacs with Nichia 219. I had been looking for a D25A with the 219 and I see Going Gear has them.

Last edited:

edmunny

Newly Enlightened
I thought the D25A Nichia 219 only came in Ti. I could only find the aluminum D25A in XP-G2, is that correct?

edmunny

Newly Enlightened
I do see the D25A clicky Nichia 219 from Going Gear, thanks. Looks promising, only 8mm longer than the L10 and it's a clicky. Can anyone comment on how audible the clicky is on the D25A? One good thing about the L10 was being a twisty it worked well as a nightstand light. My SC52 is pretty much inaudible as well. I purchased an L10C before I started having all these issues and it has the loudest clicky I've ever heard, it can clearly be heard from across the room which I'm not crazy about.

You can search through some of CPF's dealers for it, Going Gear has this in stock for now.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my L10 on rocky ground about a year ago, and the light still works perfectly. The light is a Cree model, and I'm not sure that makes a difference. I more recently bought a Nichia 219 version. And in light of this thread, I hope it holds up as well as my Cree light.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened

If I had waited one and three weeks for a response like the OP did, I'd have an issue with the dealer too. Even with this story, I'm still buying a L10C to go with my L10, but I'll get it from Craig and Calvin this time if they'll be stocking it.