LaCrosse BC-900 V 33 melts too

viorel00

Enlightened
Most of you are familiar with the BC-900 charger fiasco. I had my V32 meld down, I posted about this in December. LaCrosse replaced it with a new one, V33. I thought I was safe, since I never heard of a V33 to melt down. Well, I wasn't fully comfortable with V33 yet, so I had the idea to check the reviews on Amazon. I think this guy says that his V33 melted, if this is true, then this is the first case I am aware of V 33 melting.

I am pretty upset now with LaCrosse. here is the review from AMAZON

batter selection button won't come up - might be killed by heat, December 27, 2006
Reviewer: Tsaiying Hsieh - See all my reviews

I left 4 batteries on the unit for overnight refresh. The next thing I found was the #3 button sink and won't come up any more. The battery was very hot. I believe the #3 button was melt by heat. I have version 33 and purchased on 12/1/2006. This unit lasts 3 weeks or so.

Idunno445

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this... I was thinking of ordering a BC900.

I've noticed that there have been significantly less posts of "My BC900 melted!!" after V33 was released, so it seems like it is at least more reliable than the previous version.

So, this causes me to ask, is there any charger with advanced features (capacity test, discharge, etc.) that is reliable? Sounds like the BC900 might still have issues, and the C9000 has some problems that will *hopefully* be worked out in the future.

As someone who is looking at picking up a more "advanced" charger, should I just buy either a BC900 or C9000 and HOPE that I get lucky?

Nick

BVH

Flashaholic
They're more money but the Triton and Schulze's have these capabilities they're pack-type chargers so not so easy as just putting the cells in the standard slots. You'd need to buy battery holders.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Knock on wood. But my new BC-900 V33 manfactured has been running non-stop for a week now refreshing batteries and testing batteries. I been charging at the higher rates. I seen it go into the cool down period on my AAA batteries a couple times. I was charging them at 700 mHa but started backup when the temperture dropped back off. Looks like I have a manfactured date of Aug 2006. Bottom has code 8N6.

I just got it last Friday. Its plugged into a filter outlet.

Steve

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
I got a v33 from amazon some time ago(month or so) and I've been using it to refresh AA's and AAA's to no ill effect yet. I'm pretty confident in it, I've seen it pause for temp on AAs recycling at 1000 mAh several times. Just the same I leave it settled up on a heightened metal plate topped with a ceramic coaster.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BC -900 V32 has been in service since June 06, sometimes heavy use, sometimes it'll sit idol for a week. I've had no issues with it. I've done about 2 doz 'forming' charges on new AA's (2500-2650s - 4 at a time) @ the 'suspect' 200mA setting without a problem. (I realize that's not many) The only thing of note is that they terminated early. (that was a good thing, and probably proper) Low voltage wise, and at around 1800 -2000mAhs. Each time they were recharged they got better till they are all up to near rated specs. My BC-900 terminates at around 1.47-1.50v on almost every regularly used battery I throw in it. I've run some refresh cycles on some poor performing older batteries @ 200mA also. No problems. I watch it pretty close though. So far, I'm very pleased with it. ....knock on wood. :grin2:

Last edited:

viorel00

Enlightened
Lite_me said:
My BC -900 V32 has been in service since June 06, ...

Hi, mine was also V32, purchased in May 2006. I was aware of the melting issues, but I never had a problem with it until it melted. I was extremely happy with it until then. I used it most of the time on 200 mA, sometimes on 500 or 700. Almost never on 1 A or higher.

Now to be fair, I make the following remarks:

1- most of the time the charger was plugged into an UPS, because I had one close to my desk, but also I wanted the charger not to reset if the power went out, since I always kept an eye on how much charge went into my batteries. When it melted though, it was not plugged into the UPS, I moved it to a different table and it was plugged directly into the outlet. A voltage regulated UPS might help, but it is not required for this device.

2- when it melted, I think I started a normal charge (Duracell 2650 mAh) at 200 mA, and then 20-30 seconds later I realized it's gonna take too long and I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and changed the current to 500 mA. but this was not the first time I did this, and I don't see why it would upset the charger, since the charger was reset (unplugged from the wall).

In any case, my point is that it could happen to you one day, please keep an eye on it, and put it on a ceramic plate, as I have seen some people do on this forum.

Newuser01

Enlightened
I've been running them thru about 30 AA cells and 16 AAA cells thru test and forming for about a month now. No troubles. Knock on wood! Damm theres no wood around here!

Any ways, pretty much normal for me and I love this charger.

Regard.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the v33 and have used mine quite a bit with no problems whatsoever and it is my most favorite charger!

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a BC-900 just over a month ago, model 8N6, ver 33. It's been in continual use, 24/7 since then forming/refreshing batteries for myself and my friends. I'm using my new Maha Wizard One to form most batteries, but I'm using the BC-900 to refresh my older batteries and recharge some formed Duracell 2650 AA's and 1000 ma AAA's. No problems yet with either charger. I've used the BC-900 to quick charge some older Duracells and RadioShack Nimh's, the cells got quite warm, but not hot, and terminated properly. Right now I've got 4 more new Tenergy 2300's forming in it, I anticipate it working properly, just like on the last 12. I make sure I don't confuse the computer by interruping the cycle. If I do, I start all over again, up to and including recycling the power. That includes taking the batteries out of the charger after pulling the power and before plugging it back in. I had to do that often with my ancient RadioShack Pulse chargers, they'd get confused if I interruped them and would have to be unplugged to be reset. I expect that the problem is even worse with a smarter charger like the BC-900. I suspect that if more people treated these chargers like laptop computers rather than as wall warts there'd be fewer problems.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
I caught my BC-900 v33 in the middle of a meltdown once. I was charging some extremely used Energizer 1800s at 1000mA, and it never terminated. No infrared thermometer here, but they were "hot potato" hot - all the way to the concrete porch steps where I left them, blocked from any windows in case of explosion. They also were showing close to 1.6 volts when removed. Obviously, no negative voltage slope - but plenty of steep temperature slope!

I've never had one overheat at the lowest charge rate, even when charging 5 year old Rat Shack 1500s which barely make 1200 when cycled. I'm not trying those at 1000...

My first meltdown experience was years ago with Nexcell 1200s trickle charging at 100 mA. I blame that on the cell quality.

viorel00

Enlightened
n3eg said:
I caught my BC-900 v33 in the middle of a meltdown once. ...

I think all owners of this charger that experienced melt-down cases like this or complete meltdowns like I did, should file a complaint with http://www.recalls.gov/, hopefully they will learn a lesson and fix it once and forever.

Tobyjug

Newly Enlightened
I have had three BC-900's melt down on me and two were v33's. Last one occured charging Sanyo 2700's at 1 amp.

David b

KenD

Newly Enlightened
Is refreshing the same as "forming"?

I have read about the advantages of "forming" new batteries, but am unsure how that is done in the BC-900. Will doing a "Refresh" mode essentially do that same function?

Thanks in advance

bob_ninja

Enlightened
Forming on BC-900 is done by selecting the lowest charge rate 200 mA.
At this rate the charger may miss termination signal, so it is advised to keep an eye on it and terminate after 16 hours if still charging. You can put a timer on power outlet to ensure you don't forget.
I didn't have any problems but others did. For instance, right now my BC-900 is charging @200. I placed it on cement floor in basement, so in the worst care it won't destroy anytning.

"Refresh" mode is used for older batteries that you suspect lost capacity due to memory effect. It affects NiCd more than NiMH.
If you notice shorter service with certain batteries then place them on Refresh mode and see if capacity improves. However, use min 500 mA rate.

KenD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bob_Ninja. I was under the impression that charging at 200mA was the safest way to charge without risk of overcharging or of creating a fire. To do a "forming charge", should I first discharge a new cell, or run it to empty first?

Thanks

coppertrail

Enlightened
Forming charge (cycle) =:

charge for 16 hrs. @ .1C
rest one hour
discharge @ .2C
rest one hour
charge for 16 hrs. @ .1C

This from the Maha MH-C9000 manual.

tacoal

Newly Enlightened
KenD said:
Thanks Bob_Ninja. I was under the impression that charging at 200mA was the safest way to charge without risk of overcharging or of creating a fire. To do a "forming charge", should I first discharge a new cell, or run it to empty first?

Thanks

Be careful for the 200ma rate. Most of melting down cases happened in this charging rate for new or long stored battery, esp. for those new high capacity battery. This might be coincident since it is suggested that new battery need low charging rate to do the 'forming charge'. Please keep an eye on first a few charge cycle of these 'new' battery.

Discharge it before do the 'forming charge', at least nothing harmful.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disassemble your washing machine and you'll sleep very well:grin2:

Chargingplace.jpg

Best regards

_____
Tom