Lance Armstrong done______

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: Lance Armstrong done contesting drug allegations

I agree with those who say this is a witch hunt. It's a fact that most pros and many amateurs dope. This is the case in most sports where doping would make a measurable difference, not just cycling. It's also a fact that the system in place to detect who is doping just doesn't work. It's the old game of cat and mouse. Invent new ways to detect illicit drugs, the riders will find ways around them. If they're going to strip Lance of his Tour de France titles, then they might as well vacate the record of just about everyone else who rode with him. Maybe the rider who came in 100th place will be declared the winner when all is said and done. Or maybe nobody at all was "clean".

I wish Lance would have fought this but in the end everyone has their breaking point. You can't fight what amounts to a kangaroo court anyway. They picked Lance only because of his success. If you ask me, the only dopers are the ones running the USADA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Sad to say, but the guy who comes in dead last in professional cycling is probably one of, if not the only one not doping.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

At lease he didn't get busted for betting on cycling. ( meant to take a poke at baseball, boxing, basketball...)

rufus001

Enlightened

Sad to say, but the guy who comes in dead last in professional cycling is probably one of, if not the only one not doping.

But nobody will stand up for him because he is a "loser". Whereas the "winners" who cheat are applauded and protected. So what should you teach your children to do?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Teach them not to cheat, and not to worship the Almighty $

z17813

Newly Enlightened

Or just create a separate competition for clean athletes and athletes using PEDs.
Then when the times in the clean competition and the drugs competition are the same we can draw the only logical conclusion, that nobody uses drugs in professional sport :devil:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Not sure what's worse . . . The level of disappointment the guy in the article felt, or the level of jack-assness of the guy who wrote the article.

rufus001

Enlightened

It's The Onion. A comedy website with made up articles. No real life person was targeted for humiliation.

nbp

Flashaholic

Not sure what's worse . . . The level of disappointment the guy in the article felt, or the level of jack-assness of the guy who wrote the article.

:crackup:

You've never heard of the Onion? You have missed out my small town friend. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

LOL

We New Yorkers are good, humble, salt of the earth people, who . . . I'm sorry I can lie like that.

Yeah, it's the Onion, but still; came off mean-spirited as Hell.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand what blood doping is, adding previously drawn blood rich in oxygen.

I understand that steroids build muscle mass quickly and more than the body would normally do, think body builders. This additional muscle mass can increase performance a great deal.

With blood doping - how much of an advantage does that get the athlete? Isn't that 'enriched blood' used up fairly quickly? With an event like any bicycle tour that runs longer than a week, the body will get run down and need time to recover. I am thinking like an extra cup of coffee in the morning to get going. Is it significantly more than that? Is it just any advantage is better than none?

I never really read anything about this or looked into it in any detail..

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

It shocks me that - whatever the outcome of the investigation - upstanding news organizations like the New York Times have published letters calling these alleged actions "Armstrong's crimes" - As in words to the effect that "These testimonies reveal a stark contrast with Armstrong's outspoken position on his crimes."

Regardless of guilt in breaking sports group rules, laws were not broken... were they?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

It shocks me that - whatever the outcome of the investigation - upstanding news organizations like the New York Times have published letters calling these alleged actions "Armstrong's crimes" . . .

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious. The New York Times isn't respected by any New Yorker except Uber liberal Manhattanites.

At one time it was a respectable newspaper, but has become little more than a tabloid rag in recent years.

As for Armstrong, the bottom line is; he quit. That's not something you do if you haven't cheated in some sort of way to win.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Full complaint :: nearly 200 pages

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/10/Reasoned-Decision.pdf

~ Side note, I really wonder if the ability to carry more oxygen in your blood is such a bad thing?
Being seriously here, possible productivity gains in certain high stress/demanding jobs, military, pilots,
truckers for that matter ect...
I'm not siding w/ Armstrong here, just thinking.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

As for Armstrong, the bottom line is; he quit. That's not something you do if you haven't cheated in some sort of way to win.
Most often people quit because they're tired, or want to do something else. Countless beings through the ages have allowed themselves to die for lack of will to go on and giving up the right to spend all one's time, money and energy to fight lawyers, courts and witch hunters is no more an admission of guilt than the charges being brought in the first place were even valid.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I really wonder if the ability to carry more oxygen in your blood is such a bad thing?
Being seriously here, possible productivity gains in certain high stress/demanding jobs, military, pilots,
truckers for that matter ect...

More oxygen in the blood is a great thing, enough so that the military endorses it; the Defense Department did extensive studies on what "performance enhancing" drugs and techniques actually work, and blood doping is indeed one of the things on the list.

Truckers drink coffee, students take adderall, don't be surprised that those easy-to-acquire things are just the tip of the iceberg of what's possible when you have serious resources..

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Most often people quit because they're tired, or want to do something else. Countless beings through the ages have allowed themselves to die for lack of will to go on and giving up the right to spend all one's time, money and energy to fight lawyers, courts and witch hunters is no more an admission of guilt than the charges being brought in the first place were even valid.

All of the things they accused him of . . . What I'm saying is, no; perception doesn't become truth. But it does become what the vast majority of folks believe is the truth.

On a baser note, Armstrong made millions as a professional athlete. Not just winning races but sponsorship dollars as well. Who is really going to give up on all of that? Who wouldn't fight for that if they weren't guilty?

On a much higher note, you're going to let down all of the young kids who look up to you as a hero? You're going to do that if you're not guilty??