LED drop in for 2D Rayovac Sportsman (1965)

Huntor0

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a LED drop in Terralux TLE or similar for 2 of my 2D Rayovac Sportsman (1965) that uses a standard PR2 style bulb. Any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.

af0h

Newly Enlightened
The simplest option would be the Nite Ize LED module. It's cheaper than the Terralux, but has much lower output (approx. 30-lumens). Battery life, however, is completely unreal...

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The simplest option would be the Nite Ize LED module. It's cheaper than the Terralux, but has much lower output (approx. 30-lumens). Battery life, however, is completely unreal...

+1 on this. The two-cell at 30 lumens is great for general purpose use. It is an excellent option. $3.88 at Wally World. The three/four cell at 40 lumens for the same price is equally good. I have two or three of each that I put in my cheapie lights. Good stuff.:thumbsup:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the led drop-ins I mentioned are made by Rayovac, as mentioned below.

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a LED drop in Terralux TLE or similar for 2 of my 2D Rayovac Sportsman (1965) that uses a standard PR2 style bulb. Any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Dorcy also makes one that is very good, I own several of them in the 2-cell and the 3/4-cell versions they make. You can find them at Sears, or buy them for less on their website which offers free shipping.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Check out superbrightleds.com I just found that site and they seem to have a lot of interesting stuff. I did buy the LED that socom1970 referred to at Walmart. It is a 1/2 watt Rayovac 30 lumen for $3.88. With two AA batteries that were at 1.3v each it ran over 6 hours last night with no drop in output to my eyes...very nice upgrade. 30 lumens is a good amount for general use.

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
Huh.. Superbrightleds.com is about 2 miles from me. Can't miss the building, big bright colorful sign on it.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Huh.. Superbrightleds.com is about 2 miles from me. Can't miss the building, big bright colorful sign on it.

That's cool...might be worth checking out. I may place an order after my Christmas bills are under control. I wonder what the OP did with his 1965 ray-o-vac?

esmarkey

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, Newbie here. I have to ask, can someone describe what a "drop in" is?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys, Newbie here. I have to ask, can someone describe what a "drop in" is?

Hi esmarkey - welcome :)

A drop in is just as it sounds - a replacement part that just drops right into place without any modification needed.

In this instance the drop in is an LED "bulb" which is a direct replacement for the incandecent bulb which originally came with the flashlight. The dropin replacement has the same bottom half, or body as the incan bulb, (in most cases that is called a PR base), but it has an LED ontop to replace the "old school" incandecent bulb. --KartRacer31