LED flashlight with incandescent warmth - Folomov ECD C1 with amber filter vs Zipka

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
So after 11 years my Zipka Petzl finally broke—it wouldn't turn off. It was time for a new flashlight. After thinking about what I wanted out of a flashlight, I settled on three key elements: replaceable+rechargeable battery, small forget-it's-in-your-pocket size, and most importantly, warm light. Ever since LED flashlights came out, I remember missing the warm incandescent glow of the olden day flashlights. My choice fell on Folomov ECD C1 (brass version with a 3000K e21a emitter). To add even more warmth, I added an amber filter. Here's the result compared to my old Zipka Petzl.

ACtC-3cV7XTEAbvmDU7Jrldlk8EGilTTp2TFMsgTGbe7ZyxsIj7O-2LP3HpO6dYVZBfMLhjvPf3EymbMW9GJcIfLYaD1evgcOzvkkmvlV73q88E7emXeOMUgMCpo7TMPQAcNPmTiqx4yPO_Q7zfSCfylNv3J=w600-h400-no

My girlfriend was shocked at the difference when I showed her the above scene in person, saying that the painting looked "cold, flat and dead" with the old Zipka and "living" with my new light.

I mostly use the light for walking around at night and reading. In both cases, it feels cozy and warm and I'm super happy with the result.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bluish light is a no for me too. There are actually a number of incandescent-like LEDs. Armytek 4000K lights are great. Also Malkoff neutral lights are around 4000K and are great. The maybe best incan-like tint I have seen in an LED is Zebralight SC53c and H53c models. Incan reminding glow, very nice.

By the way: :welcome:

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome :)

I tried an ArmyTek Tiara with warm white (around 4000K) and was super impressed with the light's power and even floody coverage, but it was a tad too large for carrying around all the time. The 1000 lumens felt like it was more of a light weapon than a casual light—great for blinding pigs out in the jungle.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
on the rare occasions I use a LED light for reading (I normally use Incan) I use my 2700K Convoy S2+ but it tends to roll a bit, so I`m hoping the Sofirn SP40 in 3000k will do the job a bit better as it`s a right angle light and shouldn`t roll at all, i`ll be adding a diffuser to it as well so there`s no hot-spot just flood.

It`s all about Cozy for me as well when it comes to reading, I think there`s few things nicer than a good book and a cozy light to read it by. :)

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
on the rare occasions I use a LED light for reading (I normally use Incan) I use my 2700K Convoy S2+ but it tends to roll a bit, so I`m hoping the Sofirn SP40 in 3000k will do the job a bit better as it`s a right angle light and shouldn`t roll at all, i`ll be adding a diffuser to it as well so there`s no hot-spot just flood.

It`s all about Cozy for me as well when it comes to reading, I think there`s few things nicer than a good book and a cozy light to read it by. :)

Good luck with the SP40. It looks a bit large for my tastes, but I do like the right angle idea. There's this tiny light that has an amazing flood lens-diffuser with what looks like incredible consistency of light, but unfortunately there are no warm tint options and it would be hard to put a filter/diffuser on its bulging lens:
https://www.theultralighthiker.com/2017/06/17/lighter-brighter-better/

I actually just nail-filed my amber filter to create more of a diffused light. It took out the sharp edges and softened the hot spot, so it's much nicer for reading.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the 3000K Cree emitters in the 7A tint. It's not high-CRI, but it gives a pretty-good approximation to an incandescent flashlight. Great for bouncing off a ceiling to give some dim warm light when watching a movie.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really appreciating and ecstatic that others like warm 3000K - 4000K temperature LED flashlights. Seems like everyone else and their brother find 5000K too warm, prefer 6500K and up. Super cool color temps are neat, but totally unnatural, almost like someone is welding nearby.