LED For Camping

sdcanoe

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
This is my first post and I am looking to buy my first quality LED flashlight. For the past 15 years or so, I have used the Princeton Tec Rage on every camping trip that I have been on. It has served me well, but it is time for an upgrade.

I am considering the Fenix LD12 2017. I like the size of the 1AA and the fact that it has a separate mode switch. When camping, I tend to use a light many times for short periods throughout the night, so I want to be able to turn the light on and off without cycling through brightness levels. I know the Nitecore MT10A has similar features but I am wondering if I should be looking at other lights. Any opinions will be appreciated.

The features I need are:

Able to use 1 AA alkaline
Simple on/off
Good spacing on lower light levels
Very tough
Available in Canada

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just can't go wrong with a Zebralight SC52. It's certainly not the cheapest 1xAA light out there. But it's certainly one of the best.

- VERY small and light.
- Available in cool white, neutral white, or 5000K high CRI.
- High output for its size, starting at 205 lumens for the high CRI model.
- Although not strictly speaking on/off, all modes can easily be accessed from off.
- Lots of modes should you ever decide to use them.
- Can use a 14500 Li-Ion cell should you ever decide to go that route in the future.

There's also the SC5. It has most of the attributes of the SC52, but with a few differences:

- Larger and heavier
- 4000K and 5000K high CRI models in addition to cool and neutral whites
- No 14500 option
- Capable of 500 lumens for 3 minutes (less with high CRI) on AA (but NiMH only, NOT alkaline).

Last edited:

sdcanoe

Newly Enlightened
StorminMatt,

Thank you for the suggestion, the SC52 does look awesome. I see what you mean about the switch. It is not a simple on/off but it does look very straight forward to operate. I did not find a Canadian dealer yet, but I will keep looking.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC AA. XP-G2 and Nichia 219 versions. Simple and insanely rugged. Perfect for camping.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I use a headlamp far more often when camping than a flashlight.
That said there is nothing wrong with that Fenix. Used a LD10
for years and it is still in use as the kitchen light. Did not like the space
alien abduction angry blue tint. If not for that I would still field it
and occasionally do. Today if running AA might take the ArmyTek Prime, ZL
SC5w or even a quark Mini which i have setup as a DIY lantern so it actually gets some use. Also don't forget the lithium Energizer AA for cold weather.

sdcanoe

Newly Enlightened
Lots of good suggestions, thank you. I am having fun looking at all the different lights.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally happy my Thrunite Archer 1A NW for this. It's a bit larger than most 1xAA lights, but not much, and has good ergonomics. It has mode memory and a separate mode button from the rear clicky on/off switch.

I'd consider it one of many good lights in this category. I liked the availability of a NW option for the price, the size, reviews that indicated a moderately wide hotspot and good spill, and the flexibility to use different battery types. I bought through Amazon, so I'd think you can get the light in Canada through them.

Modes are sub-lumen moonlight mode (great if you share a tent and don't want to wake others up or ruin your night vision), 17 lumens is reasonable around the campsite, and 75 lumens good for seeing a ways down the trail. I don't use the maximum mode much, but it's moderately brighter with a good AA battery, and a big step up with a 14500 lithium ion battery.

I have the v2 of this light. The v3 has a slightly smaller reflector, and slightly wider beam. I don't know if there are other differences.

MX421

Enlightened
I second the:

• SC52 - UI is complicated at first, but once use to is very adaptable to get to whatever light level you need quickly), and
  • DC25A -simple interface that starts on low, but if you want higher, you'll have to cycle through the three or four modes to get to the level you want. After two cycles though, you start to get the strobe, sos, etc.)

suggestions and also agree with woodswalker on the headlamp.

I'd suggest getting a H52. Basically the same thing as the SC52, but a headlamp. Unlike the Fenix headlamps though, you can take it out and carry it without the headband.

Although i don't suggest getting it direct (as least not yet), Armytek has a Tiara headlamp that runs on AAs. They also have some handheld lights that run off of AA. They had them on sale awhile back, not sure if they still are. For the sale price, it almost made it worth the risk ordering direct. I got lucky with the Hi CRI Wizard i got that way though, so i'm not pushing my luck. Although they seem better on their customer service, their QC is spotty and theiir warranty isn't so hassle free as they portray. Still, if you get a good one, they are tough lights and there are some better customer service reports recently (last month or so does not make a sufficient history to me though).

You might also try the Olight S1A. Get a diffuser to make it into a lantern. It has a similar UI as the Zebra (perhaps closer to the Armytek lights though) and even has a timer on it. It comes in a few different metal types, aluminum or the limited edition copper and rose copper. There might be another metal too like titanium, but i've been into copper recently so thats all i can think of :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me suggest two lights. For general use, the Nitecore EA11 will fit your needs very well. With its mode memory and separate on/off switch, it is easy to turn on and off at the same setting. It also has instant Turbo and instant Low Low options if needed.

For general area lighting around the camp, the Nitecore LA10, especially in the CRI version, makes a nice lantern that also uses just one AA cell. The light itself is not much larger than the AA cell it uses, and has a magnetic base as well as a lanyard loop so it can be used in almost any position. The diffuser retracts into the light itself and would be useful for things like walking a path at night without bothering others nearby, but can be extended to provide area lighting for a large area if desired. When fully extended and on its highest mode, my LA10 provides adequate light for my entire 10x15 living room.

The cost of both lights should be around $75, and one should be able to find sales as the holidays approach. I would recommend using Lithium primary cells for longer life, better cold temperature performance, and a guarantee of not leaking and destroying the light.

The non-CRI version of the LA10 is a little brighter, but not enough in my mind to compensate for the much better color rendition of the CRI version, which is really helpful in picking out the details, especially when camping.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an SC52 AND an LD12 every minute that I am dressed!
While camping I need features of each of them so it just worked out fine for me that these were already my every day carry.

The SC52w is a floody beam that can light up a broad area which can be crucial camping and also has really useful moonlight mode options which come in handy while camping and the nuetral tint make things much more usable while being lighted outside too.It will also go crazy bright as needed!
The LD12 is more of a thrower really AND has a forward momentary rear switch which I use all the time outside too and feel like I really need when going in and out all the time.

I also carry and use a Headlamp constantly for I think obvious reasons.
The ZL headlamp can be almost identical to the SC52 but in a right angle design and the Fenix HL50 is a great headlamp that also can be handheld,comes with a neutral tint but again has no real moonlight mode like every other Fenix made?

Good thing we are not limited to a single light!

Alex Blain-Laider

Newly Enlightened
I carry a ThruNite Ti3 as part of my EDC, and this could serve you well while camping with a little bit of ingenuity; I recently purchased a ThruNite TH20 to get more illumination at the top end, "moonlight" setting, and the obvious (easy) hands-free option.

Oh, the TH20 handle going under water during my kids' bath time flawlessly!