Led Lenser P7 or equivelent

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDLenser seems to have recently made good products from what I have read here.

They had a few good older products but the rest were either not waterproof, unreliable, way overprice, or just bad, also from what i read here.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
lets get this right. led lenser make excellent products, i carry 6 torches with me on a daily basis and i choose one to suite the environment i am working in.
9 times out of ten i will grab the led lenser as the hot spot will be more defined than the tk10, or my various derees, AND they outlast shine time compared to the others. the derees r good for a walk in the woods, should u be nuts enough to actually do that or u have a death wish:) same goes for the tk10. if u need a light for work, led lenser all the way.:twothumbs

amen to that - yes it would be a boring world if we all walked around with the same flashlight also there would be one rich manufacturer too ;)

Used the LL P7 last night for work ( I am in security - also I am a photographer) and comparing the beam again to the DBS Q5 3SD SMO - the DBS reaches further with a brighter dot on the wall but I don't need to spot something 2 or 300 meters away very often & the LL depth perception is much better - but what I was going say was I did notice that when the P7 was on high if you press the button in for momentary on it does go about 15% brighter - but I only really noticed this since using Nimh batteries :thinking:

When manufacturers quote numbers/lumens/output they can be deseptive because the cheap manufacturers claim the highest numbers they can and we all know they don't often deliver the goods - but if a manufacturer claims the correct Lumen's output we think hmm that doesnt sound that good (we seem to be tricked easyly)
I know Deereelight don't say any figures on their lights but doing the math the 3SD Q5 pill at 1.2 amp should give approx 275 lumen's and the R2 pill I have maybe around 300 lumen's - there is no way that the DBS is nearly twice as bright as the P7.

1) LL P7 on high on the left & DSB Q5 3SD on high on right - seriously under exposed @ 14 feet
photo

2) Again the same @ 6 feet
photo

3) same again with even less exposure

Hmmm! :thinking: this is the first time I have tried to up load Photos to here and it didn't work so here's the link http://picasaweb.google.com.au/glennkath/Torch/photo?authkey=1mKvwBlVCBc#5219022363766493682♦♦

photo

photo

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
G'day Aussie here from Perth, WA also another Torchaholic. I was in shopping centre in Perth yesterday and surprisingly I saw a P7 in which I found to be a very nice torch indeed with a great beam, though beam quality and brightness is hard to test when the light in the shop is all on. Though the price of it was a bit obscured, AUD $128.00, yes Perth is a rip off city and I'm sure I could get this cheaper else where.

Now as for my self I dont own a LL P7 as yet, but have the LL Hokus Focus or also known as the Tactical Focus. I know alot here don't like LL torches and I can understand people are entitiled to their own opinion. Well I can say that I've had my LL for over 5 months now and have been very happy with it, in almost everything it does, though sometimes I would love to mod. it and insert a brighter LED such as a CREE or Seoul but as standard it came with a Luxeon which by all means does produce a nice white beam, infact the beam on my LL is more whiter than my Mini Maglite LED which was actually my very first LED Torch. I personally find the LL to be very nicely made and there's a nice hold to them. Also I find them to be quite a solid torch.

I'm not sure if I would ever buy or own a P7 unless I can get it at a very good price, but I'd like to see LL to make their torches waterproof like those from Fenix, Surefire, JetBeam etc. I have had water splased on mine and still works flawlessly.

But I think my next torch will be a JetBeam, have my eyes on one of these for quite sometime now.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
G'day Aussie here from Perth, WA also another Torchaholic. I was in shopping centre in Perth yesterday and surprisingly I saw a P7 in which I found to be a very nice torch indeed with a great beam, though beam quality and brightness is hard to test when the light in the shop is all on. Though the price of it was a bit obscured, AUD $128.00, yes Perth is a rip off city and I'm sure I could get this cheaper else where.

Now as for my self I dont own a LL P7 as yet, but have the LL Hokus Focus or also known as the Tactical Focus. I know alot here don't like LL torches and I can understand people are entitiled to their own opinion. Well I can say that I've had my LL for over 5 months now and have been very happy with it, in almost everything it does, though sometimes I would love to mod. it and insert a brighter LED such as a CREE or Seoul but as standard it came with a Luxeon which by all means does produce a nice white beam, infact the beam on my LL is more whiter than my Mini Maglite LED which was actually my very first LED Torch. I personally find the LL to be very nicely made and there's a nice hold to them. Also I find them to be quite a solid torch.

I'm not sure if I would ever buy or own a P7 unless I can get it at a very good price, but I'd like to see LL to make their torches waterproof like those from Fenix, Surefire, JetBeam etc. I have had water splased on mine and still works flawlessly.

But I think my next torch will be a JetBeam, have my eyes on one of these for quite sometime now.

picked my P7 up for $89 at jolly swagmans (could send you one if need be to save you a buck) or Google search in oz - have a look at www.dereelight.com as they are a brilliant torch and the good thing is all their torches have a screw in/out pill or module with the regulation and LED in it so as the technology changes you just buy a new pill and hey presto a new latest greatest led torch - many aren't that easy to mod or replace the LED so the average bunny will feel tempted to buy another one.

Metatron

Banned

ur not wrong about perth being a rip off city mate, over the last 2 years i havnt stepped foot in a shop to actually buy. i either buy from the usa or hong kong, both at least 50% less expensive inc postage. browse the sites, u cant go wrong:)

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
ur not wrong about perth being a rip off city mate, over the last 2 years i havnt stepped foot in a shop to actually buy. i either buy from the usa or hong kong, both at least 50% less expensive inc postage. browse the sites, u cant go wrong:)

I agree - same for me last 5 years I've been buying from over seas - except with this torch brand (LL) it seems cheaper here in oz (well on this side of oz anyway)

Rob187

Enlightened
Shimmy

Welcome to another Australian CPFer.

I've got the P7 and I like it. No, it's not the 'best' light I own, but it is a versatile and interesting light. It's bright. Man, is it bright.

I'm running it on 4 x low self discharge NiMH. Not a bad solution.

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

Although I suppose at the end of the day, its not gonna be easy to get the 'best' light in town, there could always be something that could be better.
Something at this price though I can't really say I expect the best, not to mentioned something that would be 'up there' would probably cost a fortune, and something that pricey I would probably be afraid to knock it around a bit, lol.

I will probably grab both the Fenix L2D premium and the LL P7, and keep one for myself and the other as a gift.

Last edited:

BigTennisBall

Newly Enlightened
Shimmy,

I'm from Australia too - Sydney.

I've got 2 P7's one in Gun Metal and one Black one.

I've got all the Fenix models too. For the money there is no light as bright - do yourself a favour and buy one :)

I hear Led Lenser gets a beating out there in the forums - but the leaders of all catagories get a beating. Everyone wants to pull somebody down.

Forget the lights of the past - the new range from Led Lenser seems to be outstanding in every way.

It outshines each one of my Surefires, Fenix and just about anything I've ever seen. And it runs on easy to find, cheap, AAA batteries.

StingKing

Newly Enlightened
The P7 is a great torch for the money, the focusing system works perfect. I work in a camping shop and the P7 outshines all our Inova's, MagLED and most Surefires, its a great seller to the Police and Security guards.

Shimmy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, and positive ones also.
Going by those beam shots seems the P7 is a pretty damn good happy medium of throw/spot and flood with that focusable lenses.

Shimmy,

I'm from Australia too - Sydney.

I've got 2 P7's one in Gun Metal and one Black one.

I've got all the Fenix models too. For the money there is no light as bright - do yourself a favour and buy one :)

I hear Led Lenser gets a beating out there in the forums - but the leaders of all catagories get a beating. Everyone wants to pull somebody down.

Forget the lights of the past - the new range from Led Lenser seems to be outstanding in every way.

It outshines each one of my Surefires, Fenix and just about anything I've ever seen. And it runs on easy to find, cheap, AAA batteries.

How do you find the runtime? is it actually what they say? (130 hours) and is it regulated? and regulated well?

Im still intrigued by this light.

Although looking around i have found a couple of AA lights, and was wondering if anyone has one or a couple of them and what their comparative opinions are (if that makes sense?).

Fenix L2D Q5 Premium - Olight T25-R - JetBeam Jet1 PRO EX2.0 - LumaPower M3 Transformer, and also the Olight T15 (but 2x AA tubes screwed together to make it a 2x AA light(read it earlier on this forum i think)).

Would there be many others i have left out?

Although i think pending on answers about runtime and regulation, the P7 would still probably be top of the list (I understand it is in a slightly different catagory than the others).
Also, anyone with the T7 body, i think i prefer that version.

Cheers. Again, i appreciate the help.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I got to see a P7 in the flesh last night after reading all of this thread, a mate of mine was just issued one so i was interested to check it out. I thought i would share some points that i noticed.

The first thing i noticed when i picked it up was the diameter of the body, it is thick light, I had my Sniper on me and the difference was definately noticeable.

The construction seemed quite good and the build nice and solid. The switch was ok, prefer mine a little bigger and to protrude from the rear of the light. However the UI is something that would stop me buying it, i am not a fan of the way it is on high until the switch clicks when it goes to low.

The optic and focus seemed to work very well, focused to a spot and the spot was very defined with almost no side spill, the beam wasn't perfect with some rings surrounding the hot spot. Focused to flood and the beam was very smooth without any noticable hot spot and no rings at all. The two extremes of the focus points were very good, there were some points in the focus that made artifacts and holes in the beam but most were pretty good.

Comparing it to the WE Q5 i wasn't blown away by the output of the LL P7 as some have suggested, while it held its own, the WE was definately brighter.

I can how the P7 would be attractive to some users, but it doesn't suit my purposes so i will be spending my money elsewhere.

Last edited:

The Sun

Enlightened
Shimmy,

I own LL's T7 (the P7 with tactical casing) and it is one of the best lights I own, and I got it for free so I don't have to give it a good review to justify any money spent. I just did a test with ten different lights (gladius, typhoon HX2, TK11, TK10, SF E2DL, Tomahawk ST, Streamlight TL-2, and the Scorpion LED to name a few) and the T7 had better throw and brightness at distance than all of them. It also had better brightness at a longer interval than all of the lights tested. Its not the best light ever but I like it alot! I have a hard time choosng between it Fenix's TK11, and Nitecore's NEX extreme sereis light. Really, the only thing that distiguishes each from the other is, the T7 is far brighter, build, and style. I like the TK11 a lot as well and I carry it everyday (it is a close second in brightness and throw to the T7), and i happen to like the tactical grip ring that comes on it even though that was a nother thing that got beat on in the forum. The TK11 is a GREAT light. But, sometimes I just have to grab the T7. The thing is amazingly bright. When I'm at home at night and i have people over, and i want to freak them out that is the light i use. When i say "man check this thing out" thats what i go for, it's rediculous. you almost have to always use the the low setting on the T7 indoors, because high is just too much. Even if it is a bright night, or in a lit parking lot you can still illuminate objects at 100 yards easy, and if its pitch black add another 50 yards to that. I can say howerver, I was fortunate enough to get mine for free, and if you had to pay full price for it there are a lot of options. But, if you want to be the brightest without carrying a spotlight the P7/T7 is the one to go with, and if you want a great light with a little better price tag that is almost just as bight with almost just as much throw, then go with the Fenix TK11. I have a lot of lights that i did pay for that are great, customs, high dollar lights, and lights where even i fell victim to great marketing. But, those two are great for hassle free "give your buddies a sun-tan at mid-night" purposes. :crazy:

Ice

Enlightened
Thanks for the very interresting thread here!
To those who own a P7 or T7: Can you change the focus by just pulling/pushing the head or do you have to rotate it? (I'd prefere the latter.)
Thanks!

BigTennisBall

Newly Enlightened
its got a great push pull action.
i thought i wouldn't like it as much but after time i now prefer it.

Infact i think its much better

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i just cant help but laugh at myself for reading four pages of discussion about a light called the p7 that is put out at a time we all covet the p7 bulb and this light doesn't even have one. is anyone else a little put off by the name? i mean its kind of like kia putting out a model called the corvette and it has an inline 3cylinder.

will621

Newly Enlightened
Just discovered this forum and high performance led flashlights so this is my first post so hi all.

Ordered and received a Led Lenser Hokus Pocus from Lee Valley for $34 canadian and was really impressed so checked out Led Lenser and thought I'd order a P7 from Battery Junction. Then I see the Olight M20 Warrior PREMIUM Tactical LED Flashlight w. Cree R2 - 250 Lumens!

Now I'm lost, so many options. Like the focus option but would like the 250 lumens in a small 3 to 4 AA or AAA flashlight or 2 -cr123A in the 5" or so length in around the $100 mark.

Would really appreciate suggestions for units comparable to the Olight but maybe focusable or better or really cool:confused: