LED PAR38 in colours

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone worked with LED reflector spotlights like PAR38 in colours other than white?

I found a local OTC deal on Philips PAR38's in red, green, yellow and blue; got a green one. Green and red are, well...festive around this time, bonus!

A while ago at HD I snagged on sale a Philips LED PAR38 "SceneSwitch" which can cycle between R/G/B and white by flicking the switch. Unlike some cheap flashlights, it will remember its setting as long as it stays on at that colour for some minimum time.

Regrettably none are dimmable, would have been nice to try lower levels as background light inside at night.

Admittedly these are of limited usefulness at the moment, but fun to evaluate and fool with given their low cost.

Dave

LEDphile

Enlightened
I know that those color PAR38s were at one point just a colored lens over a cool white source, and I doubt that they've changed the design significantly as I doubt they are huge sellers. But they do provide a relatively inexpensive way to throw some color, and so I suppose they have a niche

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that those color PAR38s were at one point just a colored lens over a cool white source, and I doubt that they've changed the design significantly as I doubt they are huge sellers. But they do provide a relatively inexpensive way to throw some color, and so I suppose they have a niche
I believe that is the case. Green is fairly whitish and around the edge of the lens, I think I can see white behind it. It only cost $5 though. Sometimes you have to buy something to find out.

I am not against white-backed coloured LEDs, it depends on the light and colour. Actually greenish-white can be pleasant.

I'm trying out alternate colours, primarily green, and amber/orange as low-level room night lighting, somewhat more than a nightlight.

Dave