LED Pumped Phosphor Target Flashlights

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen any LED pumped (instead of using a laser diode) phosphor target flashlights other than this one I just found on ebay today?

Screenshot led.jpg

lep.jpg

This is advertised as a LEP flashlight and they call it a laser flashlight in the description, but I don't believe there is a laser diode in it, just a 12 watt LED to pump the phosphor to produce the beam. I like the technology, perhaps this is a winner, but I have doubts the beamwidth of the light can be as tight as the beam produced using a laser diode.

Anyone? I've searched the net for the manufacturer of this flashlight and YouTube for more information but unable to find more.

Attachments

• Screenshot (107).png
    Screenshot (107).png
    475.5 KB · Views: 145
  • lep-lie.jpg
    lep-lie.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Wouldn't buy this with your money much less with my own. IP68 & 10hr run in one part of the ad, IPx5 & 4hr run in another, lux not lumens or candela for output = major red flags to me

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
I asked some questions of the ebay seller:

My final response to Limelighted:

Dear limelightled,

The problem is your description said 12 watt LED, not laser. If no laser it
is not LEP.

New message from: limelightled

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply.

Please note that despite your assumptions, this unit does in fact incorporate LEP Technology, and the light is in fact reflected from above the Phosphor to refract the beam and pass it through the convex lens in order to concentrate the beam.

Please also note that should be doubtful of the technology involved, We Strongly advise that this product is not suited to a person of your calibre.

Kind Regards
Ross
Limelight AU

Your previous message

You mean reflected off the phosphor? Regardless, the output is not laser, you might have a buyer disappointed this is not a LEP flashlight, although advertised as that. Is the phosphor pumped from behind through it, or from the top above it?

Chris

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry.

Please note that this unit incorporates a 12W Blue Laser Chip, which is then refracted off the Phosphor to achieve a White Laser Beam. This Beam is also enhanced by the use of a Convex Lens.

Please see the attached images, and note that circumstances available, we will supply more images to follow.

Kind Regards
Ross
Limelight AU​

Your previous message

I'd like to see some video or photographs of the beam into the night sky before buying.​

Last edited:

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
Photo's he emailed me through ebay below. This seller is appears to be very slippery with his words saying this flashlight "incorporates LEP technology". From all indications, this is not a LEP flashlight, just something similar due to using phosphor which is being pumped by a blue LED without using a laser diode in the flashlight. However, the unit appears to produce a fairly tight beam which is similar in appearance to a true LEP, but he shouldn't call it "laser" if there is an LED inside pumping the phosphor, doing so is very misleading, intentionally so, from what I gather.

The reason I suspect the phosphor is being pumped by a LED, aside from the advertisement saying exactly that and regardless of his slippery attempt of word smithing further association with a LEP, is I am not aware of a 12 watt blue laser diode, not one rated for that much output as a single diode. Perhaps the power draw of a blue laser diode could be that high, but none producing 12 watts output I am aware of on the market right now.

Sad reality for this seller is I was still interested in the flashlight, even if LED pumped phosphor, but his attitude sucks with his statement "We Strongly advise that this product is not suited to a person of your calibre." All I wanted to do was confirm what the flashlight really was before buying, but that won't happen now.

If there is a laser diode in it, or an array of them, they need to edit their ebay listing to state a 12 watt laser is used instead of a 12 watt LED and stop the snippy superior attitude, that does not sell.

Attachments

• s-l1600 1.jpg
    s-l1600 1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 141
  • s-l1600 2.jpg
    s-l1600 2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
I'm with you, the listing has red flags. The sellers history is pretty good, that's in his favor.

The seller probably put you on the blocked bidder list after reading your questions.

It's common for eBay sellers to block anyone who asks a question about a listing.

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
Even the email address printed on the side of one of their products doesn't work, my email was kicked back as undeliverable when I tried to email him earlier. He can block me now :) no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW

Latest posts