LED streetlights in New Zealand

RODALCO

Newly Enlightened
cdw3079

I will take a few more photo's at this site, this week and see how they compare again.

There are also a few streetlights on trial with a solar panel on top of the streetlight in the same street.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Street Lights - 5mm LEDs?

My town has teamed up with a neighboring town to apply for a government program that would give funding to replace all our street lights with LED street lights. Since I heard this I have wondered what kind of LED's they would use. Well, the other night I was out for a walk after dark and I walked past our town's electric department. In front of their building there were 2 street lights that were converted over to LED's!

I assume these are sample units. From a distance I assumed they were LED based on the design of the fixture and the light coming out of them. They looked about the same brightness as regular street lights, was kind of hoping they'd be brighter. They also had a cool tint, similar to mercury vapor street lighting.

When I got underneath I quickly could tell what kind of LED's they were. 5mm, and lots of them! There had to be 200-300, maybe more, packed into rectangular fixtures. Two of these fixtures per pole.

The LED's were packed together as tight as possible, it looked like honey comb.

So I was wondering how efficient a set up like this is compared to more modern high power LED's like XR-E's, MC-E's, etc. Would packing them so close together result in shortening their life due to heat build up?

It would seem to me they could get just as much light, or more, with 6 to 8 XR-E's. They would be able to space them out and provide adequate heat sinking.

Here's a bad pic I took with my iPhone. The LED streetlight is the white/blue one, the orange ones are sodium vapor or whatever:

Last edited:

ponygt65

Enlightened
Re: LED Street Lights - 5mm LEDs?

It'll be interesting to see what it'll be like after a decent amount of time with these installed. :popcorn:

Looking at the surface pattern on the street my response was 'wow' compared to the HPS behind them. The coverage isn't nearly as good IMO. :shakehead

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, that's one way to get rid of your surplus 5mm whites....

IIRC, ledil flare-C was actually designed with streetlights in mind.

Light Sabre

Enlightened

I would only give them 3 months (will probably be less since they're packed in there so tightly) and they will be history. I bought a couple dozen 5mm LED showerhead lightbulbs for home use and by 6 months 4 were completely dead. a half dozen more were about half brightness or less. A few others maybe 3/4 full brightness. The ones with very little time on them were about full brightness. 5mm LEDs are not the way to go for replacing incandescent or outdoor light bulbs.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you sure you are seeing 5mm LEDs? Could it be the reflector/lens assembly? Like how some car taillight lenses make it look like a grid of filaments from the one bulb.

Light Sabre

Enlightened

Yes they are 5mm LEDs you can see each indivigual LED inside the clear bulb.

Amazon.com: Lights of America 2026LED-30K-24 LED 1.5 Watt Standard Base Pendant Style Soft White Light Bulb: Home Improvement

Here's a pic of one bulb where some of the LEDs had failed:

CandlePowerForums - View Single Post - New led light bulbs at wal-mart

The Lights of American multi 5mm LED 120VAC showerhead bulbs are complete and total crap. I know from personal experience. Fortunately I got all of my momey back on the couple dozen bulbs that I had purchased. I bought them from Walmart, when I took them back I talked to the store manager personally and told her how bad they were, all problems that I had with them, and advised her that she should take them all off the shelves. That was 6 months ago or more. Was at the same store over the weekend and they still had some, but not the pegs and pegs of them like they used to. I went back to using CFL's but changed the color temp from 3500k to 4100k. I'm very happy with the 4100k's.

ponygt65

Enlightened

LIghts of America products are complete and total crap in general. :laughing:

Seriously though, I am still in utter shock that municipalities are paying ALOT of money (our money) to do this without any real research. This is 'relatively' new technology in teh commercial industry and millions of dollars are being forked over.

Personally, I think there are going to be some seriously disappointed and pissed off people once street lights get changed over. They have done a few 'small' test runs in my area with both Induction and LED and there have been issues in less than 1-2 years with both technologies.

IMHO, toss in a MH/PS setup and call it good. nice White color, high efficacy and VERY nice lumen maintenance. Sure more energy compared to LED, but where do you draw the line? We are flirting with safety issues in some areas. :candle:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I'm no entirely sold on solid state lighting for street lights (too many players with too many inconsistent designs) I don't think it's fair to base the quality of these based on 5mm LEDs sold at Walmart.

5mm LEDs in a street light seems like a really bad idea for too many reasons too mention.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened

Here's a report on LED traffic signals in California. Around P.20 are interesting comments that indicate cities will have to relamp around every 4.5 years due to failures.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2005publications/CEC-400-2005-003/CEC-400-2005-003.PDF

Basically, cities in California have to buy LED traffic lights because:
The Energy Commission adopted energy efficiency standards for traffic signal modules and lamps. These standards set minimum efficiencies for products that may be sold in California. They limit sales of new modules and lamps, manufactured on or after March 1, 2003, to certified, energy efficient products (mainly LEDs).

Some example of problems and comments cited include:
• The consistent failure of bulbs led to unusual patterns in the signal lens.
• LED failure was due to power supply problems.
• LEDs have not reduced maintenance cost.
• Maintenance costs remain the same but can increase as LED's go out of warranty. More costly to replace than non-LED bulbs.
• The first batch of LEDs had problems.
• We experienced as many lamp outages with the LEDs as we did with the incandescents.
• Estimated age and color of LEDs needing replacement: varies with type of LED, early types do not last as long. A large purchase and installation in a short period guarantees a large purchase and installation of replacement LEDs in the future. However, early replacement of about 20 percent each year, for five years, spreads the cost.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Ours do not appear to be 5mm LEDs...I've had one outside my house for quite awhile now (yeah I thought about taking a pic for you all - but seriously, don't you just get tired of pictures of LEDs? :crackup: ).

Last edited:

ponygt65

Enlightened

I still think they are being pushed way too hard, and way too fast. I dont' disagree that LED's can be extremely beneficial, but the technology needs time and big brother isn't allowing that to happen. Then again, what else is new? :sssh:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

3-5 years ago ny city switched to led traffic lights (green and red, yellow still remains incand. bulb) now i see lights with dead clusters everywhere. there prbly 100's of thousands lights in nyc. lots of money wasted

jtr1962

Flashaholic

3-5 years ago ny city switched to led traffic lights (green and red, yellow still remains incand. bulb) now i see lights with dead clusters everywhere. there prbly 100's of thousands lights in nyc. lots of money wasted
I wouldn't call it money wasted. There are going to be teething issues with any new technology. Some money will be spent finding out what works best. You're basically paying to learn here. It happened when diesel locomotives replaced steam, when cars replaced horses, even when incandescent lamps replaced candles. It's better to spend a little extra to work out the bugs with new technology if that technology offers significant advantages, than to just continue with the status quo. I also live in NYC, and have seen some LED traffic lights with dead clusters (but not a lot by any means, and it's mostly the pedestrian signals, not the traffic signals). I don't consider this a major issue. Some of these LEDs were installed 5 or 6 years ago. Just the fact that they're still working at all is good news. The lamps they replaced last 2 years on average. Moreover, when the incandescent lamps failed, that part of the signal went completely dark. At least when the new LEDs fail, it's almost always just a portion. What remains on is enough to safely control traffic until the signal can be replaced. There have also been many millions of dollars saved in power costs. Additionally, the LED signals allow the operation of traffic lights off batteries for several hours during a power failure. This was just plain not possible with the older incandescents.

The second generation signals seem to be holding up better. And they most definitely are installing ambers now also. There's one two blocks from me.

NYC is also in the process of testing LED streetlights. I'm glad we're moving cautiously. LEDs are just about there in this application but a few kinks need to be ironed out. 5mm LEDs are most definitely NOT the way to go however. I cringe every time I hear about them being used in applications like this. They'll end up giving a bad name to an otherwise great technology. All that being said, it's only a matter of time until the nights here are no longer bathed in the depressing yellow haze of sodium vapor. That alone is worth making the changeover to LED.

ponygt65

Enlightened

All that being said, it's only a matter of time until the nights here are no longer bathed in the depressing yellow haze of sodium vapor. That alone is worth making the changeover to LED.
I have a difference of opinion. Look at the coverage area on teh ground in the picture above. The LED luminaire is starting with less foot candles (based on that picture). When diodes start to go out, that's even less. I do agree that LPS/HPS shouldn't be used in street lighting. IMO, Kelvin and CRI should have been considered. Just because the efficacy is high, doesn't mean it's usable lumens in that instance, because of the low CRI. ~165 watts would have been better used with MH150's and controlled optics. If that was being used, I think there would be less people that think LED would be a better choice (in regards to a 'visual' standpoint). Unfortunately, it's not even being considered as an option given todays "green is above all else" society push.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I have a difference of opinion. Look at the coverage area on teh ground in the picture above. The LED luminaire is starting with less foot candles (based on that picture). When diodes start to go out, that's even less.
Yes, I noticed that, and it underscores exactly why 5mm LEDs have no place in streetlighting. Besides the degradation issues, I've yet to test any which are much over 80 lm/W. It seems all the R&D is going to power LEDs, which is a good thing anyway as the packaging is superior to indicator-type LEDs.

I do agree that LPS/HPS shouldn't be used in street lighting. IMO, Kelvin and CRI should have been considered. Just because the efficacy is high, doesn't mean it's usable lumens in that instance, because of the low CRI.
Efficacy unfortunately was the only criteria used when sodium vapor lights were chosen. At the time (mid 1970s) we really didn't know that much about color rendering, apparent brightness, or how spectral output affects safety. Besides the aesthethics of sodium vapor being poor (my opinion although it seems many on these forums agree with that assessment), its apparent brightness is lower for any given amount of photopic lumens. Many people in NYC in the 1970s complained about the streets looking dimmer when the sodium vapor replaced mercury vapor, even though the claimed output was about the same. On top of that, sodium vapor lights have been shown to kill peripheral vision in studies. This makes it decidedly unsafe for lighting roads. At the time sodium vapor started to be used, there really weren't any viable alternatives which had higher efficacy than the old mercury vapor. I think MH only started to come into its own in the 1990s (at least that's when I remember them replacing sodium vapor in parking lots). So we really could have switched our streetlights over to MH about 15 years ago if we wanted to. For whatever reason we didn't. LED streetlights, if applied properly, offer a much greater lifetime potential than MH. In fact, if you underdrive the LEDs you could possibly get the lamp life to match the fixture life (50 to 200 years, depending upon design). Even if we manage only 60,000 hours, that's still a factor of 3 better than other technologies. While efficacy is important for streetlighting, lamp life is probably even more important to municipalities. IIRC it costs over $100 in labor alone to change out a lamp. In light of this, LED streetlights can easily recoup their costs just based on that. If they offer higher efficacy than alternatives, then it's a bonus.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

On top of that, sodium vapor lights have been shown to kill peripheral vision in studies

Gee, with a CRI in the 20's I can't imagine what the problem would be :naughty:

Big advantage with high powered LED arrays is fixture efficiency. With lambertian LEDs you already have built in directionality, so you don't have to waste as much light with a large reflector around a big glass bulb. Of course this gets tossed when you start working with tight clusters of 5mm LEDs.

By underpowering a bit and using well controlled power supplies I agree you can get life-spans in excess of 100k hours. The problem though, just like the commercial LED lighting market, is too many players designing lamps that meet quasi specs and to make profit. By now most experienced street light repair crews know what types opf conventional ballasts and bulbs work the best and last the longest.

Obviously the physical durability of power LEDs greatly surpasses MH and HPS (feel free to strike all three with a hammer and see who survives) but arrays of several hundred LEDs just fall prey to improperly designed power supplies.

ponygt65

Enlightened

Gee, with a CRI in the 20's I can't imagine what the problem would be :naughty:

Big advantage with high powered LED arrays is fixture efficiency. With lambertian LEDs you already have built in directionality, so you don't have to waste as much light with a large reflector around a big glass bulb. Of course this gets tossed when you start working with tight clusters of 5mm LEDs.

By underpowering a bit and using well controlled power supplies I agree you can get life-spans in excess of 100k hours. The problem though, just like the commercial LED lighting market, is too many players designing lamps that meet quasi specs and to make profit. By now most experienced street light repair crews know what types opf conventional ballasts and bulbs work the best and last the longest.

Obviously the physical durability of power LEDs greatly surpasses MH and HPS (feel free to strike all three with a hammer and see who survives) but arrays of several hundred LEDs just fall prey to improperly designed power supplies.
Again..I agree withya blasterman.

I dont' have any issues with LED in general to be used in street lighting. It is the ideal application. I have a problem with it regarding it's current quality and real world usage. As a result, I think it's being pushed too much. 5MM diodes are a horrible choice and I agree. If people took the time to look at that, that would have never been installed as an option. Sadly, there are a lot of people that buy into the 'hype' instead of realism.

ponygt65

Enlightened

LED streetlights, if applied properly, offer a much greater lifetime potential than MH. In fact, if you underdrive the LEDs you could possibly get the lamp life to match the fixture life (50 to 200 years, depending upon design). Even if we manage only 60,000 hours, that's still a factor of 3 better than other technologies. While efficacy is important for streetlighting, lamp life is probably even more important to municipalities. IIRC it costs over $100 in labor alone to change out a lamp. In light of this, LED streetlights can easily recoup their costs just based on that. If they offer higher efficacy than alternatives, then it's a bonus.
I also respectfully disagree with this part of your post. Only because those claims have yet to be proven. LED"s have not been around long enough to know their true life expectancy in a commercial setting like this. Also, LED's have yet to be put through any federal regulations or standards. Many of LED's have a 'claimed' efficacy rating and real world independant studies are showing that they are vastly over exhaggerated.

I would agree with you if LED's had been out longer to 'prove/backup' the claims. That, unfortunately, is not the case. Induction Lighting has been around alot longer and are a tried/true technology. Sadly, those aren't being considered.