LedMuseum : Ten Years ?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Looks like Craig is celebrating Ten Years of the LedMuseum.

Craig, could you tell us how it started, and tell us about major events / milestones of the LedMuseum?

How much traffic does your site get?

Congratulations on keeping a useful site on the web for ten years.

Sorry I'm a wee bit late to the party here...I did not know of the existance of thread until you pointed it out to me. :party:

Let's see here...how the website got started...back in mid-1999, I saw this insanely bright little flashlight with a TURQUOISE LED in the Hosfelt Electronics catalogue, so I ordered it.
Turns out that it was a Photon Micro Light II with blue-green LED.
I decided to snoop around and look for other LEDs with unusual colors ("unusual" meaning that they were not the usual red, yellow, or urinous yellow-green lamps that were commonplace back then), and came across blue & white LEDs.

I later decided to "set up shop" on the internet, and soon created a single page of approximately 15K in size with a smattering of black & white photographs from an old beat-up webcam. :thumbsup:

In March 2000, I was contacted by Tony K. from CMG Equipment regarding their Infinity LED flashlights - they used a single AA cell, had a single LED, and came in very sturdy metal bodies. They wanted me to do a writeup of them on my website (they subsequently sent their red LED and yellow LED versions) -and that's how I turned into a flashlight reviewer. :twothhumbs

The first known use of the then-new Luxeon Star LED in a commercially-made flashlight was the first really major milestone. I was sent a prototype in an unfinished aluminum body back in mid-2001 - I still have the flashlight (only two others are known to exist: Peter Gransee has one and Chris M. in the UK has the other).

I can't think of any other events right off the bat that might qualify as "milestones", but The LED Museum has made a number of significant historical milestones over the last ten years.

Traffic: The original "hit counter" became broken fairly early on, but I'd estimate that I receive approximately 1,000,000 visits per month.

Thank you all for the kind words on my website's 10th birthday!!! :thanks:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all your hard work, Craig. It was through your website that I found CPF, and furthered my flashaholism. Your website is a valuable tool for anyone looking for brighter, better, and longer running flashlights. I also find it to be useful as a way to compare older lights with newer ones, noting the improvements (mostly!) they have made through the years.

Way to go, Craig!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here's the extremely rare Arc LS prototype:

arcls6.jpg

lsproto9.jpg

You see, things like this just make it all worthwhile!!! :thanks:

danielo_d

Enlightened
I don't know if I should blame you or credit you for our current state of flashaholism... OK, I guess I'll thank you!!!
Thanks, Craig. You helped me deal with my addiction to lumens.
Congrats!!!!
:nana:

btw, it was back in 2004/5 ish when I was researching these hi-powered gems... [note the sacrasm]
I got the green and blue versions. [subsequently destroyed them.]
neo1-1.jpg

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
Here's the extremely rare Arc LS prototype:

arcls6.jpg

lsproto9.jpg

You see, things like this just make it all worthwhile!!! :thanks:

Once again Craig, thank you, its great to see the pic of how the LS proto is now.

what about making a post review of that one?, it seems it has held up to a LOT, and still looks great, i have always seen other nicked lights and some say its got character.. perhaps, but this one, it really does have it.