LEDs, power supplies and switches

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recovered a thread but cannot find it anymore. So I am reposting it here.

-----

I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

11-11-2010 10:30 AM #1 Jay23
Unenlightened
LEDs, power supplies and switches
Hi im currently building a community music studio with LED lighting and i need to find out what power supply and controllers i need to use for a colour changing LED lighting circuit with switches? I also need to find out whether i can run it with just one power supply to work multiple switches or whether i have to run it with multiple power supplies? This is the first time ive attempted to do anything thing like this so if anyone can help in any way or provide any wiring diagrams i would be very grateful?? Many thanks in advance

-----

11-12-2010 02:58 AM #2 DM51

Welcome to CPF, jay23

This sounds like a project that belongs in our Fixed Lighting section, so I'm moving it there.
DM51

-----

11-12-2010 05:22 AM #3 Jay23

Thanks for your email anf for moving my thread across look forward to any help that can be offered many thanks

-----

11-13-2010 11:25 AM #4 jason 77

Can you be a bit more specific as to what LEDs you are using? What are you trying to do with the color changing LEDs, have them randomly change colors or more of a mixing the colors together to get a specific hue? How big a area and what light levels are you going for here? Do you want off the shelf stuff or are you willing to build this stuff your self?

-----

01-02-2011 01:59 PM #5 Scodiddly

I'm fooling around with maybe doing something similar, and I'm starting out fairly fresh as well. The basic idea is to build some wall washes, maybe something as simple as a dimmer knob each for R G and B. Looks like I could do that with those buckpuck dealies, but the parts start to add up.

Maybe with a microcontroller instead, something like an Arduino type device? I'm pretty good with electronics, mainly in the audio field.

-----

01-02-2011 07:32 PM #6 purduephotog

Scodiddly said:
I'm fooling around with maybe doing something similar, and I'm starting out fairly fresh as well. The basic idea is to build some wall washes, maybe something as simple as a dimmer knob each for R G and B. Looks like I could do that with those buckpuck dealies, but the parts start to add up.

Maybe with a microcontroller instead, something like an Arduino type device? I'm pretty good with electronics, mainly in the audio field.
I make no statement of use for the following google search: "DMX controlled LED wall wash"

-----

01-04-2011 05:10 PM #7 Scodiddly

purduephotog said:
I make no statement of use for the following google search: "DMX controlled LED wall wash"
Thanks, but just seems to lead to commercial products.

Truth be told I don't really even need any wall wash thingies... I just want to try building some.

-----

01-05-2011 10:16 AM #8 purduephotog

Scodiddly said:

Truth be told I don't really even need any wall wash thingies... I just want to try building some.
Understood.

DX (DealExtreme) sells a multi color RGB tape, 5 meters in length, for about 50$ if memory serves. I think there is an RGB controller for it as well. You supply the power supply, a fixed voltage (as opposed to a constant current) unit. Biggest issue with the long tapes is they have so much voltage sag due to the small gauge wire used... 12V in becomes 9V very quickly, which results in much dimmer LEDs at the end of the string (solution- cut and splice in 'current carrying' larger gauge.

The controller itself is listed as being slightly underpowered. Larger FETs or something ? may help.

-----

01-05-2011 01:35 PM #9 nickelflipper

Scodiddly

[/QUOTE]
There are literally hundreds of led driver IC's out there. If looking for a ground up approach, then the Zetex 1362 could drive a high power RGB module like the Cree MCE color, XPE_RGB, RGB Endor Star or?. One driver setup for each color would be required. Multiple series leds can be hooked up to a max of 16 (see chart in data sheet). Do not breadboard these circuits, use protoboard, keep components as close as possible, and to the suggested component values. The Rsense resistor would need to be set for the max current rating of the particular led. Dimming could be done with a pot, or by mcu PWM, per the data sheet.

For absolute lowest cost micro setup look no further than the TI Launchpad. The MSP430 has low current sourcing capability, so good idea to use some switching npn transistors or mosfets (2N7000). Here is some starter code, to fade up/down some low current rgb leds.

Code:
#include "msp430g2231.h"

#define Red BIT5
#define Green BIT6
#define Blue BIT7

void main(void)
{
short counter;
counter = 0;
unsigned int count;
short dutycycle;
dutycycle = 0;

WDTCTL = WDTPW + WDTHOLD; // Stop watchdog timer
P1DIR |= (Red + Green + Blue); // Set P1.0 to output direction
P1OUT &= ~Red; //Clear red led
P1OUT &= ~Green; //Clear green led
P1OUT &= ~Blue; //Clear blue led

for (;;) {
for (dutycycle = 0; dutycycle <255; dutycycle++){
for (counter = 0; counter <255; counter++){
if (dutycycle > counter)
P1OUT |= Red;
else
P1OUT &= ~Red;
}
}
P1OUT |= Red;
for (count = 0; count < 60000; count++); //delay
for (dutycycle = 255; dutycycle != 0; dutycycle--){
for (counter = 255; counter != 0; counter--){
if (dutycycle >= counter)
P1OUT |= Red;
else
P1OUT &= ~Red;
}
}
P1OUT &= ~Red;

if (dutycycle > counter)
P1OUT |= Green;
else
P1OUT &= ~Green;
}
}
P1OUT |= Green;
P1OUT |= Green;
else
P1OUT &= ~Green;
}
}
P1OUT &= ~Green;

if (dutycycle > counter)
P1OUT |= Blue;
else
P1OUT &= ~Blue;
}
}
P1OUT |= Blue;
P1OUT |= Blue;
else
P1OUT &= ~Blue;
}
}
P1OUT &= ~Blue;
}
}
Last edited by nickelflipper; 01-05-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add rgb endor star link

-----

01-05-2011 05:03 PM #10 Scodiddly

Wow, thanks! That gives me a big boost up in getting something going.

-----

01-09-2011 05:10 PM #11 Scodiddly

Yikes - that Launchpad thing is under $5... for the developer kit!!! No kidding it's a cheap way in! Got one coming from Mouser.

-----

01-09-2011 06:15 PM #12 nickelflipper

Well,....that was a delayed reaction . Ti was basically giving them away back when there was free shipping. I think STM has a couple of cheap (around $10 +/-) 8bit, and 32bit boards also.

I like Pic's myself. Five years ago the Pickit 1 was the cheapest programmer/development board out there at $36. Costs have really come down.

The question is, whether any interesting led drivers, or high powered led stuff was also ordered?

-----

01-10-2011 05:12 PM #13 Scodiddly

nickelflipper said:
The question is, whether any interesting led drivers, or high powered led stuff was also ordered?
No LED's on that order, other stuff for a different project. It'll be a little while before I will know where this is going next...

Yeah, things have gotten cheap. The trendy hardware is Arduino, of course, which still seems rather pricey. This is my first real foray into microcontrollers; I burned out as a software guy a few years back but was mostly doing high level database kinds of things.

-----

02-01-2011 05:59 PM #14 Quigath

Any updates on how this project is going for you?
I'm also looking to do some low-level LED light control via Arduino. I saw this instructable and I want to do something like it but with brighter LEDs. Any ideas on how to get the right kind of LEDs and how to heatsink them?

-----

02-02-2011 05:03 PM #15 Scodiddly

I haven't done much beside get the Launchpad dev kit and fool around with the demo stuff. Got the above code working on it.

The LED stuff is still a bit back-burner right now, but thanks to the snow day (I'm in Chicago) I got the most recent microphone project done at least. But I'm going to build a basic solar panel and have a simple 12v system going so I can fool around with off-grid stuff a bit, and LEDs fit nicely into that project.

-----

02-03-2011 05:23 PM #16 Scodiddly

Quigath said:
Any updates on how this project is going for you?
I'm also looking to do some low-level LED light control via Arduino. I saw this instructable and I want to do something like it but with brighter LEDs. Any ideas on how to get the right kind of LEDs and how to heatsink them?
Oh yeah - heatsinking. I'm not any kind of LED guru here, so maybe others can answer about getting LEDs that are louder than the ones shown. So far it's already become obvious to me that heatsinking is really the most critical thing here, and you can't do it without surface area (for dissipation) and mass (to conduct the heat to the surface area). That being said, I used a 3w 120v LED ("Acriche") for a project and mounted it on some sheets of scrap copper which stay almost completely cool. Maybe you could do something with copper pipe above the bottle, or some kind of origami thing with sheet metal. But you won't be able to hide any real heatsink completely inside the bottle, because it won't be able to work in there.