Li-Ion Charger IC for $1.66

LoneRebel

Enlightened
The Pila is probably 1400mah rather than 1500mah in order to make room for the charge electronics...If we added the electronics to the the 7670's then we couldnt fit the batteries into our flashlights...Doh!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila 168s is actually made with a standard 17670 cell. The protection ckt adds a few mm in length, can't recall exactly how much but if you compare a 168s and a 17670 side by side, you can see how much length the protection adds. The 1500mAH is a newer cell than the 1400mAH. Similar to NiMH constantly improving capacity. Not long ago 1800mAH was the highest capacity. Now, 2100mAH are fairly common.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already day-dreaming of my new LTC4054 LiIon charger I´m thinking about the right charging craddle for it and couldn´t find anything yet. The perfect setup would be one where you could use cells ranging from 17500 to 18650 typs - which means the craddle should accept 17 and 18mm dia cells and be felxible from 50mm to 67mm length. Any ideas ?

Oh and when possible I think this craddle should work with smaller cells too - like the AA or AAAs.

Klaus

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
So, is anyone going to order these parts as a group buy yet?
I'm tempted to do a group buy myself, but I have a busy schedule ...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we're waiting for results from someone here who's gonna build a test board before plunging in. That person's already got a board ready to go, he's just waiting for the IC's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an email from dat2zip that the samples are shipping out to me today. Probably won't get them til next week. Depending on the quantity we get, I'll inform the people on the priority list whether they get some or not. Don't know how to handle shipping, maybe the lucky ones send me a SASE? Klaus, I still have your pkg so it will go out with your "stuff".

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx Chris and Wayne /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No board ready here, but ordered a USB cable to have two USB connectors, a 5V 1A wall plug power supply and another car-plug 6V 800ma DC-DC transformer - so I am pretty ready too - I might even try to built a dual-cell charger with two independent charging circuits - just need two ICs though - at least there will be no problems with supplying power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I didn't notice till today I got the 4052 and not the 4054 IC. I will contact the rep and order some of the 4052.

This time I'll see if I can twist his arm a get a few more than last time.

The 4052 looks interesting too if space is not a premium. It will charge at a higher rate if you heat sink the IC properly.

B@rt

Flashaholic
thanks.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on the IC. I got them from dat2zip last week (BIG heartfelt thanks to Wayne for getting these for us) and notified the people on my list above on how to get theirs in the mail.

The circuit I made (pictured above) was used for the test, replacing the dummy sot23-5 that you see in the picture. It charged my bare 18500 cells at 714mA, as advertised. You can monitor the charge current on the PROG pin according to the data sheet and I monitored the current this way, watching it taper off as the cell approached full charge. Nice little IC. You can also drive a LED using the /CHARGE pin if you want a simple charge status indicator. All in all, I really like this thing. If you have a microcontroller with an A/D, you can really get carried away building a full featured charger.

Another reminder for those wanting to build their circuit. Make sure you use a VCC as close to the minimum as possible. The data sheet states 4.25V min, 6.5V max. This is a linear circuit which means voltage in excess of the minimum required will be dissipated as heat in the IC. I use a 5V 1A wall wart to supply this breadboard and didn't notice significant heating. It is thermally protected to 120 deg. C at the die. Read and understand the data sheet and it should give you many years of trouble free operation.

CM