Li-Ion charging strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
But it does require significant expertise to write an encyclopedia covering all aspects of (Li-ion) battery electrochemistry - knowledge of which the author of BU = Battery "University" greatly lacks.

In case it is not obvious, it is worth emphasis that BU is essentially a giant infomercial for Buchmann's battery charger company Cadex (there are over 400 mentions of "Cadex" in this "university"). The primary purpose of the site seems to be to boost the reputation of the author and his company - not to provide accurate scientifically vetted information on battery technology. It is one of the most glaring examples of pseudoscience in the history of the internet. That's why Wikipedia does not allow you to link to it. The information on BU is no more reliable than the information on a late-night TV informercial.

I literally just completely re-read an article on Battery University called What Causes Li-ion to die? Interestingly enough, in the entire article I couldn't find one single mention of Cadex anywhere. No infomercial advertising for battery chargers, nothing of the sort. However, there was actually information from a study done at Dalhousie University in Halifax, and all of the information is about lithium batteries themselves. It isn't trying to sell a particular brand of battery.

It seems very odd to me that Muyshondt would literally put his own name on the batteries he is selling from wherever he sourced them, and then put up a link to battery university on his own website if it is full of bad information. Wouldn't that just cause his customers to have a bad experience with their batteries and make Muyshondt's cells appear to be crap? Why would he send people to a site that will give them bad advice on how to maintain his own product?

By the way, the information on battery university is actually good information. The "author" as you say isn't making up the information on that website. It is coming from real sources and it isn't all advertising, not even close.

To anyone reading this, I encourage you to check out the link on Muyshondt's website. Read some of the articles and decide for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I literally just completely re-read an article on Battery University called What Causes Li-ion to die? Interestingly enough, in the entire article I couldn't find one single mention of Cadex anywhere.

It seems you missed the fact that the underlined text in my post is a link to a Google search showing over 400 mentions of his company "Cadex" on Battery "University".

It seems very odd to me that Muyshondt would literally put his own name on the batteries he is selling from wherever he sourced them, and then put up a link to battery university on his own website if it is full of bad information [...]

The knowledge required to design a decent flashlight differs dramatically from the knowledge required to evaluate an encyclopedia on battery electrochemistry. There is very little overlap between the two.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by "loading them to full capacity"? If you mean keeping them fully charged then that is one of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery since such high-voltages greatly accelerate major degradation processes.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because I know what you just said is right, but I'm just wondering how you know for sure. Where has this information come from? Is it anecdotal, or are you quoting one of your battery experts? Is there a particular study you are referring to?

Below is a concise summary of the major degradation mechanisms in Li-ion batteries. Note the many places where "high SOC" plays a role. To learn more you can chase the citations in the source: Predictive Models of Li-ion Battery Lifetime, by Kandler Smith, NREL, 2014.

xA94h.jpg

WZJ8P.jpg

DF9A3.jpg

cSVLj.jpg

xOrBi.jpg

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
It seems you missed the fact that the underlined text in my post is a link to a Google search showing over 400 mentions of his company "Cadex" on Battery "University".

The knowledge required to design a decent flashlight differs dramatically from the knowledge required to evaluate an encyclopedia on battery electrochemistry. There is very little overlap between the two.

Okay. There is little overlap. That is why he designs his own lights, running a driver he has designed, driving LEDs chosen by him but designed and manufactured by someone else. And he has his own batteries, chosen by him but designed and manufactured by someone else.

I don't quite know how to phrase that if the information on battery university was unreliable and would lead to undesirable results, he wouldn't have a link to it, telling people to destroy their muyshondt branded battery. That would only make his product appear inferior because it failed. Not necessarily because the product was poorly made, but because the end user was poorly educated by battery university.

I'm sorry this has gotten way off topic. Yet I feel it has gotten right to the heart of the wide range of opinions on li-ion battery health and maintenance

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...] Yet I feel it has gotten right to the heart of the wide range of opinions on li-ion battery health and maintenance

Why settle for "opinions" from self-proclaimed experts when there are available scientifically proven facts in peer-reviewed publications by reputable scientists? I've already supplied a couple links above to recent scientific publications on related topics. If you sincerely desire to learn more on these topics then chasing those links will prove quite enlightening.

sbslider

Enlightened
Why settle for "opinions" from self-proclaimed experts when there are available scientifically proven facts in peer-reviewed publications by reputable scientists? I've already supplied a couple links above to recent scientific publications on related topics. If you sincerely desire to learn more on these topics then chasing those links will prove quite enlightening.
:thumbsup:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

They aren't "self proclaimed experts" they are actual university studies. They aren't anyone's "opinions", they are actual tests with controls and variables. Then the results of the tests are reported. I'm done with this conversation with you. Have a nice day.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think that @etc has now been provided some general guidelines that may be useful in addressing the stated question, and suggestions on where further relevant specialized information may be found.

Rather than continue to go farther afield on any controversy associated with one particular source for battery information on the web, I think this thread has largely run its course.

OP is welcome to PM me to reopen, if necessary .... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.