life gear 1000 lumen 6 c-cell from Costco $100

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question. Did anybody actually purchase the Lifegear light that this post was initially written about? Is Costco selling both the Lifegear and the Coast light at the same time? I was able to have a few friends snag a few of the HP550's for me, and I really like them, but was wondering what the Lifegear was like. I have an older 360 lumen model that I really like and was just curious!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Finally got around to measuring current draw on the Coast HP550. With fresh alkaline batteries (measuring 4.66v in the casette), I measured an initial current of 2.67A immediately upon turning the light on. The current dropped rather quickly after that, but settled in at 2.4A and did not drop further in a minute's time. Upon switching the light off, the batteries measured 4.52v. This gives a wattage range of 12.44W to 10.85W. I'd say that this meant that the LED was being overdriven, but without being able to measure the voltage under nearly an Amp of draw per string, I have no idea what the voltage drop is. However, if you assume the LED being driven at 10W, at 2.4A this calculates to a voltage of 4.167v which seems perfectly reasonable with the given current draw.

On low, I am seeing a current draw of a mere 120mA, with no appreciable battery voltage drop. Batteries had recovered to 4.55v, for a calculated wattage of 0.546W.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be so kind as to measure for any parasitic drain through the switch when the flashlight is off? I went to charge my eneloops in the HP550, and they were half-depleated after a couple weeks non-use, and I don't recall using the light for any real length of time to account for that. That got me to wondering if the electronic tail switch puts some parasitic drain on the cells, or if my brain has just faded from lack-of-memory effect in the brain "cell."

YAK-28

Enlightened
I have a question. Did anybody actually purchase the Lifegear light that this post was initially written about? Is Costco selling both the Lifegear and the Coast light at the same time? I was able to have a few friends snag a few of the HP550's for me, and I really like them, but was wondering what the Lifegear was like. I have an older 360 lumen model that I really like and was just curious!

i do have the 400, 700, and 1000 lumen lifegear lights. i like the lights, they seem pretty solid, the switches seem solid(hi-low-strobe), pretty bright and nicely focused(i haven't taken them out to compare them to others yet), nice little tail flashers. if you have any specific questions, i'll try to answer or compare to another light i have. i was kind of suprised to see somebody make a 6-c light again.

kotarak

Newly Enlightened
just to confirm, costco in Brookfield, CT has them for 29.99. Considering the build quality, this makes it absolutely the best bang for the buck.

I'll just buy 5 of those and zip-tie them into a $150, 5000 lumen monster light cannon. it will blow out of the water my 1200 lumen 4Sevens Maelstrom S18 at 3/4 of the price. now that's an idea ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cccpull

Enlightened
Unfortunately for Floridians, we never even saw them at 49.99, so at 29.99 it's just adds insult to injury.:shakehead

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
^ah... when batteries can become more expensive than the light itself. lol. :D

engineerglen

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have just found out that there are 40 of the HP550 flashlights sitting in a Costco in Virginia, call them, 571-458-3500. I would go and get one or two but I am in Phoenix Arizona and it would be a long drive so I just wanted to let everyone know. One person told me that the store has only been open for 2 weeks, so maybe this has something to do with why they have a stock of these flashlights. They said the price was 39.99 so go and get them.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Just bought version 2.0 of the HP550 at Walmart today. They bumped the lumens to 1075. The runtime on high is at 6:15 hrs. And the throw is at 351 meters. Took out the Duracell AAs asap and replaced w/ Eneloops...