LiFePo4 battery storage and high temperature (jump box q.)

eggsalad

Enlightened
been thinking about getting a jump-start box to keep in the truck. Many web sources say not to store LiFePo4 batteries over 35c (some say 40c)

My concern is that ambient temperatures can exceed 40c in Las Vegas. Temperatures can exceed 45c inside a vehicle parked in the sun on hot days.

Do I have a legit concern, or can I keep a jump box in the truck?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
been thinking about getting a jump-start box to keep in the truck. Many web sources say not to store LiFePo4 batteries over 35c (some say 40c)

My concern is that ambient temperatures can exceed 40c in Las Vegas. Temperatures can exceed 45c inside a vehicle parked in the sun on hot days.

Do I have a legit concern, or can I keep a jump box in the truck?

I don't know, but I feel ya on the heat thing! I would take my guidance on specs (including environmental) directly from the reputable manufacturer of the device and their published specifications for it if I were making the decision.

eggsalad

Enlightened
I've yet to find any manufacturer of these that provides specs like this.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Pulled these numbers from a LFP manufacturer ::

TEMPERATURE

Charge Temperature: 32℉ ~ 131℉ (0℃ ~ 55℃)
Discharge Temperature: -4℉ ~ 140℉ (-20℃ ~ 60℃)
Storage Temperature: 14℉ ~ 122℉ (-10℃ ~ 50℃)

eggsalad

Enlightened
Hey thanks for digging that out. I feel like maybe I'm being paranoid. I've never heard anyone say, "Hey if you live in Vegas or Phoenix, maybe don't keep a lithium jump pack in your car in the summer."

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
More:

At high temperatures, the performance of a LiFePO4 battery may also be reduced. High temperatures can cause the battery to degrade more quickly, reducing its overall lifespan. High temperatures can also increase the risk of thermal runaway, which is a condition that can occur when a battery overheats and causes a chain reaction that can lead to a fire or explosion.

To ensure the best performance and lifespan, LiFePO4 batteries should be kept in temperatures between 20-50 degree Celsius. It is also recommended to store them in a cool and dry place when not in use. They can handle short term temperature changes, however, prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures can cause damage.

In summary, LiFePO4 batteries are affected by temperature, and it's important to keep them within an optimal temperature range of 20-50 degree Celsius to ensure the best performance and lifespan. It's recommended to store them in a cool and dry place when not in use, and to avoid prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures.

eggsalad

Enlightened
The more information I get, the less certain I am whether getting a lithium jump pack is a good or bad idea.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

You can get a high quality 4S Lithium Polymer battery & attach some good clamps to it.
I'll start everything or more, compared to a LFP & fit in your glove box.

I'v personally used 3S & 4S to jump start, now I just use the extra voltage of the 4S,, works that much better.

something like this:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

..double post

Look at all the EVs' that are running & charging at thousands of Watts in the sunny/hot southwest.
If your not comfortable with the Lipo, I'm sure a LFP unit will good to go.

edit: posted this unit in another thread,,, worthy for it's small size
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BX8S2VJ5/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes LFP is safer than cobalt/manganese lI-ion. Each of us decides the trade offs for our application. I personally do not keep any lithium type batteries in a hot vehicle, preferring to carry a work pack for unplanned exigencies. Others do keep batteries inside vehicles and accept shorter battery life, etc.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an electronics type, but don't know jack about chemistry, and only enough about cells / batteries to get by, however:

Here's how I look at it. From what I've gathered, I suspect the following may be true: High temps and batteries are never friends. It seems to be axiomatic regardless of chemistries, etc. PHX kills lead-acid car batts at I rate I've never seen in the other dozen states I've lived in, and I've no doubt that's temp deg(radation). I suspect high temps may deg all chemistries to varying degrees, or at least that's my current working assumption. If I wanted to keep one of those jump-start packs in my car, I would expect that temp would deg that too, ironically, just as it does the car batt in a car I might need to jump start with it. If I expected any less, that would be like expecting to get something for nothing, which only rarely (if ever) happens in elect engineering. I would view it very much as I would my car batt; something with a finite life expectancy which would require replacement periodically. LFP may deg less than lead-acid, but I would assume that it will deg (unless / until I find out otherwise). That's just how I view the issue. I'm not saying I'd never keep one in my car, only that I'd anticipate degradation, and just consider it part of the price of doin' business.

eggsalad

Enlightened
I sent a message to the folks at NOCO. They're a brand of reasonably good repute, and I got a response from them suggesting I not store one of their jump packs in my truck in summer. Which makes it kind of useless.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent a message to the folks at NOCO. They're a brand of reasonably good repute, and I got a response from them suggesting I not store one of their jump packs in my truck in summer. Which makes it kind of useless.

Dang. I was afraid it was on the edge, if not over it. Thanx for the followup though, as the thought had crossed my mind too down the road here in PHX. I'll go with what they say, as they should know a lot more about LFP than I do. If I had one I could see having it with me on specific occasions, when I might for various reasons perceive a greater need for that backup, but not on an ongoing, day to day basis like you were (likely) considering.