Light for “where did my dog (or kid) go” while backpacking/camping

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Fellow flashaholics, I'm unsure of my requirements and need your advice!

Use cases:
1. Hanging out with a bunch of families around a campfire while kids play, somebody's says: 'where's Jon's kid?'. I would like to illuminate campsite and surrounds to locate said kid. Or replace 'where's kid' with 'what's dog barking at', probably similar need. Not much nightivision in play due to campfire, but weight also not a concern.
2. Backpacking with kids in the middle of nowhere, for whatever reason they somehow end up not in camp and now I need to look for them. Here some dark adapted vision likely, and weight now a concern.

Both use cases are in a similar environment: mountain west forest, not much undergrowth but rocks and significant down wood (lots of beetle kill pine here).

Other context:
I don't actually think #2 is that likely, but I'm sufficiently paranoid that I have been dragging a SF UB3T with me, which is bulky and admittedly too heavy to be hauling around the backcountry. Also I have a feeling the beam is narrower than ideal for this purpose but I haven't tried many other profiles so I'm not sure. Certainly whatever I end up with can be more suited to 'far' as it will be complemented by my trusty HDS rotary for close use and a headlamp for camp chores.

Specific questions, aside from the implicit one about which light I should get, is what beam pattern, intensity and output is really 'right' for this type of usage.

Template follows, thank-you all in advance!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____I don't know yet (as much as necessary, as little as possible!)

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
I guess I need multiple modes, not sure where to top out.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
I think - but see usage notes above, looking for advice here.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____Any size switch will do. (Generally prefer forward clicky or momentary on tailcap, but this is less important).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Less important, but weight is a consideration.

15) Water resistance
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
In backpack.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an Emisar D1 when night hiking or backpacking. It is great for navigation being able to spot landmarks or trails far away, and I think it would work well for your purposes. There's also the D1S if you want more throw. Both are smaller and lighter than just about anything else in their class and have an excellent ramping UI.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until about a month or so ago I would have just said a Nitecore P30. It is still a viable option, one I have carried for a couple of years. But now there are also the Lumintop GT Mini and GT micro. The Mini uses a single 18650 Li-Ion cell, or if one uses the short tube, one 18350 cell. The Micro uses one 14500 cell. Both have nice throw, and a nice amount of spill. The default UI for both is a ramping one that allows the user to select exactly how much light they want. The alternate UI available is the standard L-M-H-T of most lights.

Scourie

Enlightened
For those scenarios I'd consider the Olight R50. It's a compact 26650 based flashlight so runtimes are long (50hrs-50lumens) with huge output only a double click away. The only real downside for me is that the lowest output is 50lumens!

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
When I'm looking for something outside I always grab my BLF Q8.

"...And, somewhere over Texas authorities investigating a possible UFO sighting have reported only finding what's being described as "a CPFer". They have impounded a device, ostensibly a flashlight, for further investigation...."

Thanks for the suggestions all, some good options here to look into.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...And, somewhere over Texas authorities investigating a possible UFO sighting have reported only finding what's being described as "a CPFer". They have impounded a device, ostensibly a flashlight, for further investigation...."

Thanks for the suggestions all, some good options here to look into.

Lol :D

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
He implored them "Don't look into the beam! Whatever you do, don't look into the beam!" So, of course they did.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I go with a group I usually pack spare lights with extra 18650's and a four port charger in my car.

I typically bring a couple of Convoy S2+ lights, one with a diffuser to be used as a tent lantern, with biscotti software/driver so that it has a low low.

I also throw 2 or 3 Convoy S8 lights in a bag, for that "find johnny" situation. Small enough to carry, but offer decent throw. They are quite possibly better than the lights carried by the other parents, easy to operate, and they are lights that are powered by LiIon 18650s that can be swapped out if the search goes through the night.

I just got an Astrolux FT03 26650 light with infinitely adjustable output, that I might carry for extended throw, or for the additional capacity of the larger battery, with a sleeve, it can be powered by 18650s.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Thrunite TN4A Hi is my search light...it has 457m of reach, yet mild enough to have a 0.2L firefly mode that would last for 80 days. All in a empty cardboard toilet paper roll size package.

Last edited:

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
I also throw 2 or 3 Convoy S8 lights in a bag, for that "find johnny" situation. Small enough to carry, but offer decent throw. They are quite possibly better than the lights carried by the other parents, easy to operate, and they are lights that are powered by LiIon 18650s that can be swapped out if the search goes through the night.

That is a really good point, now that you say it that sounds obvious. In a group situation 4 parents with "good" lights is almost certainly better than 1 parent with a "perfect" light and 3 using their phone flash.