Light for finding stuff in the woods?

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

First post, so please excuse the inevitable noob stupidity. I'm looking for recommendations for a light for looking for (primarily) downed game in the woods. My dinky LED light with a failing battery was one of the reasons I walked within a few feet of a downed deer this year without spotting it until the next morning. Fortunately the meat was still good, but if the weather had been warmer the outcome probably would have been different. I copied the questions from the checklist and have pasted the relevant ones below. TIA for any recommendations.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

It doesn't matter. I'm in KY.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a portable spotlight

4) Size
I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____I don't care.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

[/QUOTE]

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EA45S should be good for you. It uses four AA cells, either lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables. Like most members here, I do not recommend alkaline cells for any high power light. The risk of leakage damaging or destroying an expensive light is too great, in my opinion. If you decide to try NiMH, use Eneloops (a specific brand name, not a type), although I have had good results with Amazon Basics Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells as well. Get a good charger, look at HKJ's reviews for guidance. A good basic charger like the Nitecore i4 or D4, or the Xtar VC4 would be a good starting point. That way if you ever decide to branch out into the world of Li-Ion rechargeables, you will already have a charger that can handle them. Stay away from the cheap NiMH chargers that are so often packaged with cells. They do not have the safeguards that a good charger would have.

You will also want to look for a light that outputs a neutral white or warm white tint. Those are better for discriminating details in an outdoor setting. Best would be a light that uses Nichea 219B or 219C LED(S), but they are not often found in higher power lights.

Also, :welcome:

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I have a lot to learn. How about the charger than comes bundled with the Eneloop cells from Panasonic? Is it a good charger?

MX421

Enlightened
The Nitecore EA45S should be good for you. It uses four AA cells, either lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables. Like most members here, I do not recommend alkaline cells for any high power light. The risk of leakage damaging or destroying an expensive light is too great, in my opinion. If you decide to try NiMH, use Eneloops (a specific brand name, not a type), although I have had good results with Amazon Basics Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells as well. Get a good charger, look at HKJ's reviews for guidance. A good basic charger like the Nitecore i4 or D4, or the Xtar VC4 would be a good starting point. That way if you ever decide to branch out into the world of Li-Ion rechargeables, you will already have a charger that can handle them. Stay away from the cheap NiMH chargers that are so often packaged with cells. They do not have the safeguards that a good charger would have.

You will also want to look for a light that outputs a neutral white or warm white tint. Those are better for discriminating details in an outdoor setting. Best would be a light that uses Nichea 219B or 219C LED(S), but they are not often found in higher power lights.

Also, :welcome:
Nichia or any other Hi CRI (Color Rendering Index) light will have an output loss. The loss is worth it considering you gain being able to see color better IMO.

As for a light, any light on here will work. I personally prefer Zebralights, but don't like that their new offerings are unprotected cell only so i wouldn't recommend that to someone who isn't familiar with Lithium Ion batteries. That being said, read about Lithium Ion battery on this forum. Once eductated, they will open up much bright and long lasting lights than the standard battery lights you are asking a review on.

As for a AA light, I'd recommend either a Zebralight SC52 (w) or a Eagletac DCA(2). TRhe latter can be had in Nichia.

Another option would be to get a "P60" format light. I'd suggest a Malkoff MD2, Surefire 6P or G series, a lumens factory Seraph, or a solarforce L2P. You could use standard CR123 batteries or rechargable Lithium Ion in the light for a power source. The good thing about these lights is you can change out the light engine. A regular warm drop-in for regular use, then perhaps a blue/UV/IR drop-in for the tracking. The solorforce lights are pretty cheap, you could get a few for your budget.

Good luck

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't think that you really want to stay with alkalines, but if you do, then you might want to consider a 3C or 3D cell format. Just for run-times.

On the alkaline low cost end, I'd suggest that you get the home depot defiant 850 lumen triple led 3C. Currently $12.88.
Personally I prefer 18650 or 26650 LiIon batteries for their capacity and more consistent discharge curve. I made a couple of spacers, and run my 3C lights on 18650 or 26650 batteries.

If you are willing to go for LiIon cells, then I would look for a relatively floody beam, for a wooded area search and rescue operation. Actually, I would carry two lights. The floody beam would be used the most, but when I wanted to look across the stream without getting my feet wet, or into thick brush: I'd want a tighter hot spot.

Lights like the Acebeam EC50, Convoy L6, Olight RC Seeker, and Klarus G20 are among the class of lights I would look at.

Otherwise you might look at the triples like the Thrunite TN30.

For a thrower, (the one with a tighter beam), I'd consider something like the Manker U21, or some other XHP-35 light. The Convoy XPL Hi C8 MIGHT be a consideration, but I'm not sure how it would compare to a big head XHP-35 light.

Last edited:

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that you really want to stay with alkalines, but if you do, then you might want to consider a 3C or 3D cell format. Just for run-times.

On the alkaline low cost end, I'd suggest that you get the home depot defiant 850 lumen triple led 3C. Currently $12.88.
Personally I prefer 18650 or 26650 LiIon batteries for their capacity and more consistent discharge curve. I made a couple of spacers, and run my 3C lights on 18650 or 26650 batteries.

If you are willing to go for LiIon cells, then I would look for a relatively floody beam, for a wooded area search and rescue operation. Actually, I would carry two lights. The floody beam would be used the most, but when I wanted to look across the stream without getting my feet wet, or into thick brush: I'd want a tighter hot spot.

Lights like the Acebeam EC50, Convoy L6, Olight RC Seeker, and Klarus G20 are among the class of lights I would look at.

Otherwise you might look at the triples like the Thrunite TN30.

For a thrower, (the one with a tighter beam), I'd consider something like the Manker U21, or some other XHP-35 light. The Convoy XPL Hi C8 MIGHT be a consideration, but I'm not sure how it would compare to a big head XHP-35 light.

I'm not dead set on alkaline. My thinking when checking that box was that I definitely want to have the option of replaceable (not built-in) batteries so I can swap them out and not be tied to a wall somewhere while it recharges. Before I joined this forum I had never heard of an 18650 battery. I still don't know the difference between a protected and unprotected cell. Like most things, there are levels of detail experts know that the casual user just find baffling.

Poppy

Flashaholic
14500, 18650, 26650 batteries depict the sizes of the batteries.
The first two digits are the diameter in mm.
the next two digits are the length in mm
the zero at the end means that it is cylindrical in shape.

They can be damaged if allowed to drain too low in voltage. Some/many lights have over-discharge protection built in.

Protected cells have electronics tacked onto the end of them (making them a little longer). The electronics are like a circuit breaker, that will turn the battery OFF if the voltage gets too low, or if the drain (such as in a short) is too high. A protected cell may be 70-72 mm long, and some lights will not take the additional length.

Most lights are designed to pull between 1-3 amps. There are high power lights that draw more. In the past, those pulling 5 amps or more, needed to use unprotected cells, but *I THINK* that there are now some protected cells that can deliver 10 amps or more without tripping the protection.

Then of course there are flat top and button top batteries. Some lights don't care which you put into it, others are specific.
LOL... I'd bet you didn't know there was so much variation among lights, or their specific applications, tints, or batteries.
If it's not fun, it is at least interesting.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Todays Maglites are pretty bright and the twisty head gives a choice of a nice tight spotlight for distance lighting or with some twist later turn it into a more floody light.

D size will give you lots of runtime and a small baton in case of a sudden bobcat dilema.

They're relatively inexspensive and readily available.
That'll get you through while you learn about all that stuff being presented to you by others.

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
14500, 18650, 26650 batteries depict the sizes of the batteries.
The first two digits are the diameter in mm.
the next two digits are the length in mm
the zero at the end means that it is cylindrical in shape.

They can be damaged if allowed to drain too low in voltage. Some/many lights have over-discharge protection built in.

Protected cells have electronics tacked onto the end of them (making them a little longer). The electronics are like a circuit breaker, that will turn the battery OFF if the voltage gets too low, or if the drain (such as in a short) is too high. A protected cell may be 70-72 mm long, and some lights will not take the additional length.

Most lights are designed to pull between 1-3 amps. There are high power lights that draw more. In the past, those pulling 5 amps or more, needed to use unprotected cells, but *I THINK* that there are now some protected cells that can deliver 10 amps or more without tripping the protection.

Then of course there are flat top and button top batteries. Some lights don't care which you put into it, others are specific.
LOL... I'd bet you didn't know there was so much variation among lights, or their specific applications, tints, or batteries.
If it's not fun, it is at least interesting.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Todays Maglites are pretty bright and the twisty head gives a choice of a nice tight spotlight for distance lighting or with some twist later turn it into a more floody light.

D size will give you lots of runtime and a small baton in case of a sudden bobcat dilema.

They're relatively inexspensive and readily available.
That'll get you through while you learn about all that stuff being presented to you by others.

Somewhere I have a 20 year old 3 D cell incandescent MagLite...somewhere.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Battery University has a lot of good info on the various kinds of batteries, their pluses and minuses, and their care and feeding.
There are a couple of other threads of interest spread around the forums. Look at the first listings on each forum to find them.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new 3rd Gen. Mags blow away the old Mags in just about every way. The ML300 is the D cell version and the ML50 is the C cell, both are available in 2 or 3 cell configurations (I would recommend the 3 cells for longer run time).

If you want something smaller that runs on AA's and are willing to give up run time, brightness and beam distance, I would suggest either the 2 mode 2AA Mini Mag Pro PLUS or the 300 lumen Rayovac 2AA Indestructible (although I would recommend using rechargeable Eneloops in this one especially).

irongate

Enlightened
The new 3rd Gen. Mags blow away the old Mags in just about every way. The ML300 is the D cell version and the ML50 is the C cell, both are available in 2 or 3 cell configurations (I would recommend the 3 cells for longer run time).

If you want something smaller that runs on AA's and are willing to give up run time, brightness and beam distance, I would suggest either the 2 mode 2AA Mini Mag Pro PLUS or the 300 lumen Rayovac 2AA Indestructible (although I would recommend using rechargeable Eneloops in this one especially).

Can't go wrong with either the Pro or the Ray, just to have a extra light around the house or in the car. And the C or the D Mag lights are great for the price.

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
It so happens I drove by a Home Depot this afternoon, so I picked up one of the Defiant 3C 850 lumen lights recommended by Poppy. I followed the linked thread and saw you had adapted it to use an 18650 rechargeable. Just one, right? That spacer looked pretty long. How well does that work?

I thought I would ask here rather than wake up that old thread.

Poppy

Flashaholic
C cell batteries are 50 mm long, so 3*50mm=150 mm.
Figure an 18650, or 26650 is 65mm-72mm long, depending, so I made the spacer 150-72 = 78 mm long. That converts to 3 1/16 inch long. That is working perfectly with an unprotected cell. I am sure that 3 inches would work with a protected cell, I'm not sure if it might be a little short for a non-protected cell.

EDIT:
Yes, just one 18650 cell, the other one in the picture is a spare.

Last edited:

Elkins45

Newly Enlightened
I have four flashlights, three sets of batteries and two chargers in my Amazon cart at
the moment. I can see this is going to get out of hand :)

irongate

Enlightened
I have four flashlights, three sets of batteries and two chargers in my Amazon cart at
the moment. I can see this is going to get out of hand :)

No just take your time and make the right choice on what you really need instead of what you want over time. Maybe like one light a month to start with and not what every one else has.
Have fun

arKmm

Enlightened
Maglite ML50L 3-Cell.

Its the latest generation of Maglite and has good enough output and can be focused for flood or throw. Either run it on normal C cells or buy some NiMh rechargeables.

If you want longer run-times it's also available in D-cell variety as the ML300L.

Poppy

Flashaholic
So Elkins,
Have you pulled the trigger on any of those lights in your amazon cart?

Have you played with that Defiant triple yet? What do you think of it?
How does that beam pattern fit your needs?

LOL... we are here to help you spend your money :D

Latest posts