Light recomendation for EDC.

Feahnor

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I need a new flashlight, mostly for walking the dog and home use.

Price Range: Around 30€

Purpose: WHAT WILL THE LIGHT'S MAIN (AND SECONDARY) USE BE?
Battery Type & Quantity: Standard AA size. Maybe a usb rechargeable battery. No special batteries, I prefer being able to use standard AA batteries when in need, but a usb rechargeable battery will also do.
Size: AA or 2xAA size. I'm looking for something thin, I don't want something as "fat" as a 3xAAA.
Type: Handheld.
Main Use: I'll carry the flashlight as my EDC. I'm currently using a Maglite Solitaire LED and a 140 lumens 3xAAA, but I want something more powerful. My uses are: walking the dog in an unilluminated neighbourhood, home use. I don't see very well at night. Something aroung 200-300 lumens will do.
Switch Type: I really prefer clicky tail buttons, but a twisty head will also do.
Anything Else?: I prefer flood lights. I don't need to throw more than 20-30 meters, A candle mode (like the one in maglites) would be nice to have. A zoom light will also be fine if it has a really good flood position.
I'm going to buy it at amazon.fr, so no china vendors.

Any recomendations?

MX421

Enlightened
Since you are set on a tail clickie, perhaps a Eagletac D25A?
Doesn't zoom or have a candle mode though. Sounds like you are stuck on your maglight features with the candlemode/flood/spot all in one.

You do realize that the USB rechargables use a "non-standard" battery. If you want to go that route, most of the ones i'd recommend are side switch.

Feahnor

Newly Enlightened
Since you are set on a tail clickie, perhaps a Eagletac D25A?
Doesn't zoom or have a candle mode though. Sounds like you are stuck on your maglight features with the candlemode/flood/spot all in one.

You do realize that the USB rechargables use a "non-standard" battery. If you want to go that route, most of the ones i'd recommend are side switch.
A side switch is also fine by me.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Look at the Klarus Mi7. It will put out 330 lumens on a standard AA battery, and it's well-built. The 700-lumen level is NOT available unless you go with a Li-Ion 14500 battery, but that's more than you said you were looking for, anyway, so you can ignore that. It lacks the "candle mode" and it has a side switch, but it is easily found with the fingertips in the dark. This thing lives in my pants pocket, so I am thankful for the actual, useful, fully-effective lock-out function (unlike some side-switch lights that require only a long press to "wake up," this requires a triple-click to deactivate the lock-out mode, so accidental activations are now a thing of the past).

It is one of my EDC lights, but of course, YMMV.

MX421

Enlightened
I really like the Zebralight, i'd get a SC52(w). You can also use a 14500 Lithium Ion battery in those, same as the D25A above. The Olight S1A is good as well and i think has a built in charging model. The tints aren't as nice on those, but they are also very small efficient lights. Again, both of those aren't adjustable focus. The Zebra is floody with a hotspot and the S1A is a TIR lens focusing all the light into a wide "hotspot"

Latest posts