Lightforce 240 Blitz Crisis

khq0660

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but I couldn't find the old thread where I raised a similar problem to consult old replies. I have a 240 Blitz hand held with cigarette plug. It was wonderful for a few months and then the bulb blew. I put in a new Osram 100W bulb, which I am told is the right bulb for this light. Now the light is so dim and has so little throw that it would barely make a good reading lamp. :) I have an old Brinkmann Q Beam with a battery that barely holds a charge anymore, and the Blitz is now equal in brightness and apparent throw to the Q Beam with a depleted battery. I also have a Stanley Fatmax SL10LEDS. The Blitz is now dimmer than the Stanley.

What has gone wrong? Did something get fried in the Blitz when the original bulb blew or is something wrong with the new bulb or in the seating of the bulb? I aligned the bulb as best I could with a straight edge. There is a faint dark spot in the beam that is shaped like a very thin half circle with a long spoke coming out of it.

I've had several Blitzes in the last few years. Some of them have been wonderful for the job and others have been pitiful. I thought maybe that Lightforce had an inconsistency in their production of lights, but now I wonder if the problem is with the bulbs.

Please help me figure this out. I have a couple of useless Blitzes now because they are too dim to see horses clearly that are 100 feet away. Thanks.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
High output replacement bulb is the Osram 62138 is this what you used?

Last edited:

khq0660

Newly Enlightened
I kind of remember that awhile back someone posted about a tool that is used to measure precisely if a bulb is aimed properly. Is there such a tool? Thanks.

khq0660

Newly Enlightened
It turns out that I'm an even bigger dope than I realized. I found out, last night while using one of my Blitzes, that the point where you focus the beam to get the narrowest beam is somewhere between being fully screwed out in the flood direction and fully screwed in in the spot direction. All this time I've assumed that turning it all the way in as tight as possible to the spot direction would get the tightest beam. If I have time tonight I'm going to see if this fixes my problem. I sure hope it does. I do have some scratches on the lenses of a couple of them though.

I am still curious how precisely you folks measure to make sure that the bulb is pointed correctly and if you use some sort of measuring tool for this. Thanks.