LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

So now that we've gotten a fair bit of use from all of these (~2.5 years since this thread was created), how has this been working for folks?

I've been using my 2xAAA LD01 / SL SP penlight pretty extensively for the past year or so, and just can't say enough good things about it, the only additional improvement I've made was to place some LDF over the LD01 lens to get a somewhat smoother beam:

LD01diffusion005.jpg
LD01diffusion003.jpg

LD01diffusion006.jpg
LD01diffusion007.jpg

I'm just loving the performance & runtime from 2xAAA Duraloops, ~140 lumens for nearly an hour perhaps? (Never bothered to check the runtime, I run it on 'low' most of the time.)

Question, recently my LD01 / SL-SP (2xAAA) on 'low' acts normally to begin with, but after a few minutes the output bumps up nearly imperceptibly, the 'inductor whine' approximately doubles in loudness, and the PWM becomes slightly more noticible. After switching it off & back on, the 'louder whine' comes back after a few seconds. Is anybody else getting this behavior? I was wondering if it might be because I've used this unit a lot on ~2.4v vs the ~1.2v spec. :shrug:

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As other posters have pointed out, the (leftover) SL MS head doesn't work on the (also leftover) LD01 body, as there isn't enough usable depth to obtain electrical contact.

So removing 0.080" of material from the LD01 body on a lathe yields the following:

LD01002.jpg
LD01004.jpg

LD01008.jpg
LD01013.jpg

The only issue is that the threads on the LD01 body weren't set up for this depth, so the first installation took a lot of force (wrenches, hose clamps, rubber sheet, vise) to get the initial fit - although, it's now very smooth. Also, there is a ~0.015" gap remaining when the light turns on, so I'd suggest removing 0.070" rather than this 0.080" if anybody else was to do this.

So what am I doing with this "extra"? Gifting it to my friendly machinist, of course. :)

BTW this doesn't work with the SL SP 2xAAA head (it doesn't even light up with 1xAAA, only the SL MS 1xAAA head works for this.

Last edited:

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
...the only additional improvement I've made was to place some LDF over the LD01 lens to get a somewhat smoother beam...

That's one of the reasons why I installed a Preon head on my Stylus Pro body. The other reasons are the lower low (which comes first) and the hidden modes.

Kestrel, thank you for reviving this thread! :thumbsup:

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I tried this and did not succeed...the head on my streamlight was on so tight when i used a strap wrench and a vice, I literally tore the aluminum body in two breaking it right below where the body threads into the head :shakehead

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about your SL body failure, I don't recall reading of this happening previously. I guess it's one of those 'how generous were they with the Loctite that morning?' kind of things. :shrug:

I'm kind of surprised by the lack of love this mod is getting these days. Guess most folks are into the newer Preons instead of this combo. I really like the forward clicky on the SL's, so sometime I'll get around to doing this with another SL SP since I lost my first one a few months ago. :sigh:

NewlandPhotography

Newly Enlightened
ok so i just bought the MS and would like to mod it but my question is is it worth it? i see the LD01 for sale online for $39. so the cost of that plus the $20 i spent on my MS couldn't I of bought a better aaa light for $60? can anyone either link me to a better deal on the LD01 or find me a much brighter better aaa light around this size or smaller cause i would like to purchase something today.

thanx

Pontiaker

Enlightened
If you run the latest version of the Fenix stainless steel (ld01 or l01d?) I forget now, and use a good quality 10440 Lithium rechargable battery there is no brighter aaa light. I have tried them all. That is up until about six months ago. I have been out of the light world loop for at least six months but looked long and hard and this is the best combo I have found. With exception to the Preon 1, which is almost as bright if not as bright depending on your actual light. So what I mean is if you get the Preon 1 in its latest version, six months ago, Lol! And run the 10440 battery, its almost as bright if not the same. I like the beam shape and throw better on the Fenix head just my own opinion, some like the Preon better. I also like the size and shape, and the clicky of the Streamix combo better. But many others dont agree with me on this, sooo, its really up to you;~)

I have two fof the Streamix modded lights that I made a few years back, search this thread under my user name for exact dates, I have not had a single problem with either of them or the same four 10440 batteries I have been using in daily rotation since I made these lights up.

Most companies will not recommend running the 10440 battery in this way but they work as many here can tell you.

I have had a few minor problems with my Preon 1 clickies in the past but they always took care of me and there seems to be no issues.Good luck with whatever you decide to carry, my aaa/10440 combo is by far the most used light I own, one of two I carry every day.
Matt

Streamer

Enlightened
If you run the latest version of the Fenix stainless steel (ld01 or l01d?) I forget now, and use a good quality 10440 Lithium rechargable battery there is no brighter aaa light. I have tried them all. That is up until about six months ago. I have been out of the light world loop for at least six months but looked long and hard and this is the best combo I have found. With exception to the Preon 1, which is almost as bright if not as bright depending on your actual light. So what I mean is if you get the Preon 1 in its latest version, six months ago, Lol! And run the 10440 battery, its almost as bright if not the same. I like the beam shape and throw better on the Fenix head just my own opinion, some like the Preon better. I also like the size and shape, and the clicky of the Streamix combo better. But many others dont agree with me on this, sooo, its really up to you;~)

I have two fof the Streamix modded lights that I made a few years back, search this thread under my user name for exact dates, I have not had a single problem with either of them or the same four 10440 batteries I have been using in daily rotation since I made these lights up.

Most companies will not recommend running the 10440 battery in this way but they work as many here can tell you.

I have had a few minor problems with my Preon 1 clickies in the past but they always took care of me and there seems to be no issues.Good luck with whatever you decide to carry, my aaa/10440 combo is by far the most used light I own, one of two I carry every day.
Matt

If the latest version of the Stainless LD01 is CURRENT REGULATED, then how can it be any brighter with a 10440? From what I've read on CPF up til now, I was under impression current regulation prevented the hperbrightness from 10440. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I cant answer that but I do know for sure its brighter running 4.2 volts through it instead of 1.2 or 1.5. The Preon head is actually made to run on the P1 and P2 body so its already set up for higher voltage.
If the latest version of the Stainless LD01 is CURRENT REGULATED, then how can it be any brighter with a 10440? From what I've read on CPF up til now, I was under impression current regulation prevented the hperbrightness from 10440. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Did you read my post, the first line anyway? Lol

Matt

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now that we've gotten a fair bit of use from all of these (~2.5 years since this thread was created), how has this been working for folks?

I'm just loving the performance & runtime from 2xAAA Duraloops, ~140 lumens for nearly an hour perhaps? (Never bothered to check the runtime, I run it on 'low' most of the time.)
This setup has been my EDC for over a year and a half, and it's doing great for the same reasons, and more. Plus, the clicky has held up after a lot of use. Same with the ano on both parts... damn thing almost looks like it was put together yesterday!

My only complaint is that even though the PWM rate was highly increased over previous versions, it's definitely there, and shows itself in certain, slightly dangerous situations like when near un-caged, high power fans or other types of rotating parts. Unless you're paying attention, it can lull you into thinking these things aren't moving so fast. I'm also not crazy about the effects of PWM in the rain... not a huge deal, but still slightly distracting when out in the rain playing with flashlights.

Question, recently my LD01 / SL-SP (2xAAA) on 'low' acts normally to begin with, but after a few minutes the output bumps up nearly imperceptibly, the 'inductor whine' approximately doubles in loudness, and the PWM becomes slightly more noticible. After switching it off & back on, the 'louder whine' comes back after a few seconds. Is anybody else getting this behavior? I was wondering if it might be because I've used this unit a lot on ~2.4v vs the ~1.2v spec. :shrug:
Just tried this, and inductor whine volume on low remains steady from beginning to where I stopped testing at about 7 minutes. The shorter on/off cycles you mention give no change either. If your experience is different, I'll chalk it up to "identical" components never being quite the same. Also steady, but MUCH more annoying is medium level, where it'll rattle the teeth out of your head when mouth holding!

As other posters have pointed out, the (leftover) SL MS head doesn't work on the (also leftover) LD01 body, as there isn't enough usable depth to obtain electrical contact.

So removing 0.080" of material from the LD01 body on a lathe yields the following:
Alternately, you could shorten the MS head to get the same result, which should be easier. Someone around here used that method.

I tried this and did not succeed...the head on my streamlight was on so tight when i used a strap wrench and a vice, I literally tore the aluminum body in two breaking it right below where the body threads into the head :shakehead
Hehe... I can just imagine the torque you subjected that thing too.

There was no way in hell mine was coming off either, so I did the boil-in-baggie thing to soften up the glue. It took a few tries, but was worth the patience. In order to avoid melting the reflector and overheating anything else, I did fairly short cycles, and held the bag off the bottom of the pot. To avoid any scratching, I used a pair of silicone oven mitts to twist the parts with hand power only. They eventually seperated with no heat damage, and the ano remained factory new. Spent about the next half hour picking threadlocker out of the threads.

This happens because the boost circuit goes into direct drive when Vbatt is higher than the LED's Vf. I wasn't aware (until now... just looked it up) that all LD01's are now current regulated as opposed to PWM, but going into DD should happen nonetheless. However, I seem to remember that Fenix adjusted the circuit some time ago to better handle 10440 overdrive (?).

Since there's no PWM I'm tempted to try a new head, but the XP-G will have less throw than my XP-E version, and stands a good chance of being green-ish (made even worse by the current regulation on low and medium), whereas mine has an excellent tint.

Hmmm... I'm thinking emitter swap!

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Awesome, Kestrel! Thank you for the bump. One of my main EDC lights is my Preon Pro, a Stylus Pro body with a Preon head. Forward clicky, multiple modes, and beefy clip (free replacements from Streamlight!) make this a winner for me! :thumbsup:

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
i just bought a microstream last week and i can't see how its possible to remove the head of the light... the light i have has a removable tailcap end (when you need to replace the rubber tailcap), and the tail part itself, but i can't see how it's possible to remove the head to switch it out with another aaa light. please shed some light on my problem. (i'm new to the forum and i wasn't able to locate someone with the same problem as mine)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The head component is loctited on (i.e. with a thread adhesive), there are a number of posts in this thread which cite various ways around that; for example, this is what I do:

[...]. After reading all the concerns about how tight the StreamLight head could be loctited on, I hose-clamped / rubber lined the head:
SL003.jpg

held one end lightly in a vise, the other with an adjustable wrench, and presto. Very easy & zero damage! [...]

Last edited:

PerttiK

Enlightened
Sorry for this little hijack...
@Mr. Shawn:
Is preon head a "screw in" mod for stylus body?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
... although the Preon head doesn't quite cover the SL SP's O-ring like the Fenix LD01 barely does. I think someone posted a pic of this in a different thread ...