Long run time low low light

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter needs a low low long run time light to leave by my new grand daughters crib at night to assist in checking her when she needs it in the night.

Nothing more is needed other than a low low with long battery life and really the ability to candle stand would be easier for her.

Any ideas or am I looking at a nursery style baby night lite.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark line up has a moon mode of ~0.2 lumens. Runtime is measured in days.

If you get a Quark tactical, you could program the bezel tightened mode for low output, and bezel loosened as moon mode. Easy to remember, and easy to quickly access either mode.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
please excuse the ugly yellow desk-
Any of the older low power Peak lights-
magnet or clamps can come in handy- they are threaded the same as the keychain posts.

Last edited:

Snow

Enlightened
Many lights produced these days have low levels with long runtimes. At a low price suitable for the application, I would pick a simple Peak or the Quark Tactical, both mentioned above.

awid

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E01 perhaps, but 10 lumens might be too much?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
You might also want to consider the PakLite. It's a tiny LED that attaches to the top of a single 9v battery (so it stands easily on the table), and produces a nice, low light for a long, long time.

The orange PakLite seems like a perfect fit, as it'd be a little like a single candle illuminating the room. :)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S. Come to think of it, I think I've sold myself: I've got a new son, and this seems like the perfect addition to his room. Darn you! :nana:

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I've got a newborn son also and the best solution I've found is to use a small battery powered lantern like the River Rock from Target and diffuse the light with a small white paper bag or even a sheet of white paper taped together to form a cylinder. I think this is better than a dim flashlight. I just set it up before we go to bed and she doesn't have to bother looking for a flashlight in the middle of the night, especially when sleep deprived. If the baby happens to be awake when you check on them I don't think he/she will appreciate a flashlight in the face, even a dim one.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Get a Safe-light "Lantern". The "Glow" mode will cast a very soft light making the lantern itself easy to find and probably enough light to just walk into the dark room and check on the little critter. If you need a bit more light, just grab it and click on the low beam. The Glow mode will burn for close to a year or more (depending on how much you use the other modes) on a single 9v battery.

I have been using these for years to check on my crew of three and they have never let me down.

http://www.safe-light.com/store/safe-light-lantern-flashlight.html

bigdukesix

Banned
My daughter needs a low low long run time light to leave by my new grand daughters crib at night to assist in checking her when she needs it in the night.

Nothing more is needed other than a low low with long battery life and really the ability to candle stand would be easier for her.

Any ideas or am I looking at a nursery style baby night lite.

The quark with .2 lumen moonlight

With night vision the whole room will be lit up - 30 day runtime on 2AA

I love it

Egsise

Banned
I have tried Quark AA, Fenix LD10, AKOray k-106 and Zebralight H50 as a night light.
Depending on the ceiling color and personal preference 0.2 to 5 lumens is enough.
AKOray and Fenix are a bit too bright, so I would suggest either regular Quark AA or ZebraLight H50, both can tailstand and the runtimes are good.

Single AA light is good cause it tailstands easily, and overdischarge protection prevents the cell to be drained too low.
Tailstanding a light and using ceiling bounce is better than direct light imho.
When our son was baby he lost his comforter all the time when he was sleeping, finding it, and finding the babys mouth became so easy when we started using ceiling bounce night light.

So cool, the traffic wands are.
Luka_the_young_padawan.gif

Last edited:

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Go to http://www.safe-light.com/ I bought 6 of these lights about 3 years ago and they have multiple settings; low low(find me setting) low for just enought light to walk in the dark and a medium setting for a little more light and flashing if you want it to. They use common 9 volt batteries and there several variations. Some are rubber coated and some have a lantern transparent top. On the low settings they last for HUNDREDS of hours. The price is right- under $20.00! Right now they are runnung a familt special- check it out! Ken PS no I don't work for them- they are just great for low light and they tail stand easily! I use them for night lights!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to consider the PakLite. It's a tiny LED that attaches to the top of a single 9v battery (so it stands easily on the table), and produces a nice, low light for a long, long time.

The orange PakLite seems like a perfect fit, as it'd be a little like a single candle illuminating the room. :)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S. Come to think of it, I think I've sold myself: I've got a new son, and this seems like the perfect addition to his room. Darn you! :nana:
+1

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can make your own for fractions of the cost and you can customize it to however much output you want by changing the resistors. Less resistance, brighter light. More resistance, dimmer light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Go to http://www.safe-light.com/ I bought 6 of these lights about 3 years ago and they have multiple settings; low low(find me setting) low for just enought light to walk in the dark and a medium setting for a little more light and flashing if you want it to. They use common 9 volt batteries and there several variations. Some are rubber coated and some have a lantern transparent top. On the low settings they last for HUNDREDS of hours. The price is right- under $20.00! Right now they are runnung a familt special- check it out! Ken PS no I don't work for them- they are just great for low light and they tail stand easily! I use them for night lights!
+1

The Safe Lights stay on all the time and last forever on a 9V. You can click the button to cycle between "off" which is actually a "find me" low mode, and several brighter levels. They are handy! Some of them have magnets built in, which makes them even more useful... I stick mine to my shelf and another to my refrigerator.

bstrickler

Enlightened
The quark with .2 lumen moonlight

With night vision the whole room will be lit up - 30 day runtime on 2AA

I love it

+1

I love my Neutral white Quark AA^2 tactical

It's gotten LOTS of use lately, since I have pneumonia and laryngitis :)barf:), and get up at all hours of the day/night. I have my Quark set to the moonlight for when I don't want to blind myself with light (extremely sensitive to light right now), and set to the 3.5 lumen low setting for when I don't have a headache, or want to make sure I don't trip over anything.

When I'm reading on the couch, where I sleep, I set it to the 18 or 70 lumen mode, and ceiling bounce. And that's in a 15x15x15 room. (I've always been able to see well in low light, so I can get away with using the 18 lumen mode in a large room)

You can also use the 18 lumen medium setting, in a medium-to small room, and ceiling bounce it. If you're in a small room (8x8), you can celing bounce with the 3.5 lumen setting, as long as your eyes are somewhat dark adapted, and you'll be able to see fine.

~Brian

Last edited: