LONG throw

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't believe I worded my response correctly. :)

I'd say the TK75 2900 at 250yds has about the amount of light I'm trying to throw 700yds. or even further if I can afford it. heheh :)

OK, that works then, as I said 0.3 - 1 lux was expected, and, 29,000 cd gets you almost 0.5 lux, so, 0.5 lux or more on target is what you're going to want.

So, as you need MORE as the range increases, as in your field of view, the more distant target NEEDS more light...I'd guess that for YOU, the ~ 0.5 lux would be a reasonable goal for long range work, as it will only work BETTER at closer ranges. IE: If it works at 800+ meters, and not ALL your shots will be at 800+ meters, its fair to say most of your shots will be better lit than you need.

So, a 350k cd or higher light might work for YOU and your set-up, at 900 yards, if the 29k cd light worked for you at 250 yards.

I'd take a walk over to Vinh's sub-forum and look at some of his longer range throwers. rdfronty for example did a bunch of beam shots and cd measurements, and, Selfbuilt reviewed at least one of the ones you might look at (The TK61vn), and there are quite a few that are going to do what you're looking for.

I'd suggest tripod/accomplice/bean bag mounting the light to spot the game, and not mount the light ON the rifle, as the weight will probably throw you off on long shots.

Last edited:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
I have zero experience with this sort of thing, but am very curious: at 700yds, what are that scope's inherent limitations in light gathering at full magnification?

Pretty much. The more you zoom it in, the darker the scope gets but, a NightForce scope is pretty well put together... you're looking at almost 2k $ for the NSX I own.... these aren't your daddy's deer scopes I'm talking about... The NightForce starts at 5.5x and zooms out to 22x... The U.S. Optics starts at 10x and zooms out to 42x... and costs more than about 10-12 hunting rifles.. and, that's just the optic... but, if you're shooting something 1.5 miles away, you can't hit it if you can't see it... and, of course, you can't hit it if you're not a mad scientist on the loading bench.... load your own ammo... have your bullets turned on a lathe etc. etc.

dss_777

Enlightened
Pretty much. The more you zoom it in, the darker the scope gets but, a NightForce scope is pretty well put together... you're looking at almost 2k $ for the NSX I own.... these aren't your daddy's deer scopes I'm talking about... The NightForce starts at 5.5x and zooms out to 22x... The U.S. Optics starts at 10x and zooms out to 42x... and costs more than about 10-12 hunting rifles.. and, that's just the optic... but, if you're shooting something 1.5 miles away, you can't hit it if you can't see it... and, of course, you can't hit it if you're not a mad scientist on the loading bench.... load your own ammo... have your bullets turned on a lathe etc. etc.

Very cool, thanks! That has to be an amazing sight.

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
I did buy one of those cheap chinese lights that plug into the cig. lighter that say they're 100w hid lights... mine broke after a couple of weeks use..... I pulled it apart and it had a 55w ballast. It tried to focus but, it wasn't in the same league as the next light I'm looking for... although I have to admit, it blew away the TK75 for throw.

I'm just looking for something that will bounce off low clouds, fit in your pocket and run for like 20hrs.... I'm sure you can do that for like 1k bucks, right? LOL

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I did buy one of those cheap chinese lights that plug into the cig. lighter that say they're 100w hid lights... mine broke after a couple of weeks use..... I pulled it apart and it had a 55w ballast. It tried to focus but, it wasn't in the same league as the next light I'm looking for... although I have to admit, it blew away the TK75 for throw.

I'm just looking for something that will bounce off low clouds, fit in your pocket and run for like 20hrs.... I'm sure you can do that for like 1k bucks, right? LOL

Yes, as long as you bring spare 18650's to swap in periodically...

Go to Vinh's sub-forum and get one...or go to CPFM and get a used version of something.

:D

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
Yes, as long as you bring spare 18650's to swap in periodically...

Go to Vinh's sub-forum and get one...or go to CPFM and get a used version of something.

:D

Ok, I'm convinced!!!

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
So, now my problem is, do I want to get something sufficient for what I'm trying to do or, do I just go for it and wait for a maxabeam? haha

I have a feeling that if I don't wait for a maxabeam, I'll be buying two lights and not one.

I love my little TK75... it's a great GP light. It does all the normal stuff I do out here... Good mix of flood and throw for almost everything I do but, I want the long throw beast... I have a somewhat more limited application for it but, when you need it, you need it.

I also know I'm getting out of, "need" and getting into, "want" now. heheh

I almost pulled the trigger on a deft-x but, they're not in production now and, it would also seem like settling. ( 1million cd is not 7 or 12 million cd ) I may just have to spend the money and get it over with. I wouldn't mind a used maxabeam. ( If I can find one )

Afterall, I don't mind tinkering but, I don't have a metal lathe and, I just want the light, I don't want to have to make parts.... So, my options come down to just paying for what I want, I guess.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
for under 300 bucks, I may have to buy one just on principal. haha

ven

Flashaholic
for under 300 bucks, I may have to buy one just on principal. haha

You wont regret it...........if you do you will be the 1st :laughing: seriously though its astonishing,and if you go the deft x route ,you have a back up then as well..........:twothumbs

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
Ok.... how do I get one... I'll purchase it today.

PS: Just don't tell my wife.... she doesn't need to know what I'm spending on lights... I just say they're expensive and don't lose them... has no idea you can pay more than 50 bucks on one.

Last edited:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
And, If I die, don't let my wife sell my lights for what I told her I paid for them....

At this point.. this light will do what I'm asking for... I'm going to go for it. At some point in the future, I may buy the maxabeam but, this will surely be a great light... 18650s are simple to deal with and LED is no fuss etc.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
And, If I die, don't let my wife sell my lights for what I told her I paid for them....

At this point.. this light will do what I'm asking for... I'm going to go for it. At some point in the future, I may buy the maxabeam but, this will surely be a great light... 18650s are simple to deal with and LED is no fuss etc.

Its an astonishing light,it will throw around 1400m iirc .
Shoot out thread at 865m
Have a look here,great rdrfronty thread:cool:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...65-Meter-Beamshots-amp-865-Meter-Lux-Readings

Dont worry i will tell her $20 each and offer $25 for them:p

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Lol

All your lights are ones you borrowed from (fill in name of best friend/bro, etc)....and, his are all yours, etc.

That way, if something bad happens, everything is taken care of, and, you never wasted $ on lights.

:devil:

I use mine for work. ...so I am on an expense report for lights.

ven

Flashaholic
Lol

All your lights are ones you borrowed from (fill in name of best friend/bro, etc)....and, his are all yours, etc.

That way, if something bad happens, everything is taken care of, and, you never wasted $ on lights.

:devil:

I use mine for work. ...so I am on an expense report for lights.

:laughing:

Best all get pm-ing jwoolf with our names and addresses :laughing:

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
:laughing:

Best all get pm-ing jwoolf with our names and addresses :laughing:

Very funny! LOL

I'm off today... wifey has me workiing on the house, yet again... and, I will be sending that PM today!!!

I'm just checking in and popping a cold one... you know... When I'm working on the house... it's kind of like... when I put in baseboards the other day... I call it, "board lubricant"... or, ( insert something relevant to what you're doing )... it's like that...

jwoolf

Newly Enlightened
guess I ordered a tk61vn next day. Vinh said he had them in stock. Just wondering what the ETA to shipping may be. I thought he had one ready but, he may have been saying that he had one on hand to modify. I don't want to bug him. I'm just anxious. lol I've never bought from him before so, I'm not sure what to expect. :)

Last edited: