Looking for 1,000+ Lumens & 3 hour burn time??? Recommend

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, the same shade was not indicated, maybe it makes sense to contact those who make custom budget lights? Then can put a suitable driver, the body on 4 * 20700 and 3*n diodes with a temperature of 7-8 kk for greater efficiency?

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
Obviously larger cells like 26650 have more capacity and better than that 2P 18650 or even 4P 18650
. . . . . . you are thinking only in mah not in voltage. a 6000 mah cell is about equal to 2 18650 cells in watt hours, 23 watt hours vs 23 watt hours. still shy of nessicary and only 1 26650 can do it and it's 28 dollars. some 18650 can exceed that performance with 14 watt hours, times 2, or 28 watt hours. If Nitecore tried to or you rebuilt their light the tm10k should be able to have 3 hours at 1000 lumens but would no longer have a 10k lumen max killing the namesake. now, a 3 18650 makes sense, or even perhaps for space a 3 18500 light would be very compact.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
BLF Q8. Thermally sustainable output and runtime.

I take mine for a walk outputting about 3,000 lemons for an hour, so the reverse ratio is fine.

Last edited:

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
I agree completely - beam pattern is important to identify up front. What is the intended purpose of the light? As others have said you are not likely to notice the difference between a true 800 lumen light and a true 1000 lumen light, but if the beam pattern (flood versus spot, smoothness of transition, etc.) is not what you need that will become a problem real quick.

A friend of mine works for the National Parks. Engineer by day, ranger on the weekends. He's running a course where he needs to be a bright light beacon to train others in navigation for 3 hours. People need to see the light from far away. He wants something small / compact to hike with, bright and lasts a long time between battery changes.

He's read this whole thread, was really impressed with you guys and greatly appreciates the feedback. (hasn't signed up for an account yet but is impressed and greatful)

Last edited:

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
You have not announced the budget and the required coverage range - close or long distance?

He has a $500 water filter. He's not one to skimp on equipment. He's not stupid with money, but more than comfy with going with a zebra-light.

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
I doubt the OP has read any of the replies..

I've read every reply. Sorry for the delay. I simply made the post and sent the link to my Park Ranger friend. Then life threw me some serious curve-balls and I got distracted. My ranger friend doesn't have much of an online presence but we discussed this thread today over the phone. We both greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'll be more responsive in the future.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you friend check out the Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X, high mode is 3500 lumens but the medium mode is 1000 lumens and runs for 3 hours on 2 x 18650's.

Solid build quality and the high output could be useful in searches situations etc.

The low mode is 250 lumens and runs for 11+ hours if I remember correctly.