Looking for 18650 Micro-USB Rechargable Cheap Flashlight for Homeless People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Before you reply: Please do not derail this thread any further with FUD over exploding batteries and wild imaginations about homeless people manufacturing meth with 18650 batteries.
For clarity: I test every cell and every flashlight to run down completely before giving them out. The inexpensive 50~200 Lm chinese flashlights can run a full week or 2 week on a single 18650 with regular use, and I have access to 40 quality tested LG and Samsung 18650 cells for the price of 4 single-use AA batteries, or 1 Panasonic NiMH AA cell. I live in a rural desert city where the homeless population camps on public lands, flashlights are a necessity. 25% of the homeless population are military veterans. We already have banks of Micro-USB charging stations for cellphones, and will also have 18650 chargers. Most diners offer the same, ubiquitously. And flashlights with multi-mode or recharge drivers DO NOT, CAN NOT, NEVER HAVE exploded on anyone, ever, period and fullstop and end of that discussion even if you seem to believe otherwise. New replies to this thread must contain a link to actual flashlights that meet the specifications I outlined, or don't bother commenting. (dear forum mods, please delete the nonsense posts below)

Hello,

I'm looking to find an economy flashlight to purchase in bulk to distribute at our homeless shelter.

Features that I'm looking for are:

* 18650 battery. I will be supplying tested unprotected cells recycled from laptop batteries.
* Micro-USB charging port. Homeless people can always find access to a Micro-USB charger.
* Inherent protection circuitry -- ie, it's rechargeable, maybe multi-mode driver.
* Low lumens. Should be in the ballpark of 50 to 200 max Lm to extend use between charges.
* Optional: Side panel camp/flood COB for ambient lighting.

Searching eBay has become hideous with all the flashlight offerings being "$0.99 to $12.57" garbage (where the 99 cent item is some random unrelated junk) making it impossible to sort for inexpensive flashlights anymore.
Also, 50% of the listings say 18650 in the title and then say an entirely different cell in the item description, or non-removable battery.

Perhaps somebody knows of a better source, too, for making bulk quantity purchases.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sipik sk68 are actually decent lights and can be bought in bulk for a few bucks a piece. I bought them in bulk for .89 a piece off the bay a few years back. You could do the light and a few batteries that will last a while.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dude, really? Do you really want to help others? Perhaps the experts here have a valid approach you had not considered.

People are trying to look out for others here too. Calling out moderators to delete "the nonsense above" is kinda uncool.

To get all bitter beer faced and post some temper tantrum-esque rules and regulations about how members are allowed to post on this thread is a bit much. Better to catch flys with honey and all that on this Memorial Day 2019.

Seriously.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was goimg to reply to this thread. But Sir, your arrogance has put me off.
Don't ask for advice if you are not prepared to deal with answers that you don't agree with.
Good grief!
P

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have deleted a few off-topic replies. bykfixer does have a valid point in that since this is a general forum thread and is not a B/S/T thread, the OP does not have unlimited leeway to determine what content is permitted.
However, now that that point has been made, additional commentary along those lines is neither really needed nor productive; everybody just please pause to take a deep breath and then feel free to comment or not ?

Thank you all & best regards,

Last edited:

Raccoon

Enlightened
(Thanks mods for cleaning up the thread)

* 18650 battery. I will be supplying tested unprotected cells recycled from laptop batteries.
* Micro-USB charging port. Homeless people can always find access to a Micro-USB charger.
* Inherent protection circuitry -- ie, it's rechargeable, maybe multi-mode driver.
* Low lumens. Should be in the ballpark of 50 to 200 max Lm to extend use between charges.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, I understand your frustration with your thread getting progressively off-topic.

Mods are glad to work with you to get things back on track, but I did have a couple of suggestions, below.

Before you reply....

Threads that start with the above as the very first line in a thread generally tend to go off-topic quicker, and get locked sooner. Even moreso if they happen to be in bolded color font. Paradoxical, I know ... :ironic:

Telling others trying to help you exactly what they can and can't post may strike some as a bit offputting :shrug:

.... flashlights with multi-mode or recharge drivers DO NOT, CAN NOT, NEVER HAVE exploded on anyone, ever, period and fullstop and end of that discussion even if you seem to believe otherwise.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you seem to be stating pretty clearly and directly above, I believe this is incorrect.

CPF has an entire subforum for the topic of " the dangerous side of batteries (and chargers) " ....

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...d-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

New replies to this thread must contain a link to actual flashlights that meet the specifications I outlined, or don't bother commenting....

It is fine to mention specific brands and models, but for "recommend me a light" threads (which this is, whether it is here in LED Flashlights or over in the Recommend subforum) , CPF prefers that commercial (marketing / sales / manufacturer / retailer / etc) direct links not be posted. The reason for this is that this then attracts, creates, and amplifies spam / shilling posts. Which creates work and headaches for staff.

.... I'm looking to find an economy flashlight to purchase in bulk to distribute at our homeless shelter....

My suggestion, if you would like it, is to basically "start over" with a fresh thread in the "Recommend" subforum. If you choose to do so, please ask staff to lock this one first.

You are welcome to continue here if you prefer, but your wall of red text in the OP may reduce the willingness of others to help with your request.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with your venture. I hope you are able to do what you set out to do. When you start your new thread a price point would help as well.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Good luck with your venture. I hope you are able to do what you set out to do. When you start your new thread a price point would help as well.

That's alright guy. I know when people don't have something to contribute to a thread, but still want to bolster their post count, they'll tell you all sorts of ways you should live your life. Not what I'm interested in, not what I came here for. Maybe I'm the dummy for having this idea of finding useful answers that I asked for.

If I wanted "safer or easier alternatives", I would have asked for those. In fact, I'm already fully enlightened and wouldn't have had the question I asked if any of that were of interest to me. It's easy to find cheap AA flashlights. I don't need to be scared into believing that 18650's are going to explode, and I don't need to be told that homeless people are meth heads and manufacturing meth with 18650's (false and impossible). I'm just looking for procurement of the exact specifications I requested, without deviation. Sorry that I wasn't so clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.