Looking for a compact UV flashlight for spotting scorpions (not hunting)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you'll let us know how that I5UV works out for you in the field. I also have the need to do the odd scorp-spotting task myself, and if this works for you it would probably work for me as well.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Hope you'll let us know how that I5UV works out for you in the field. I also have the need to do the odd scorp-spotting task myself, and if this works for you it would probably work for me as well.

The thing is that I can go a very long time before I'm in a scenario where I would actually need to spot the "buggers". It have to be in a position where I need to stay put for a while, in the desert, at night (duh), and even then, only in a very specific type of area. Scorpions aren't automatically just "everywhere". I've been doing this hiking thing for a long time and I know the type of areas where they'd be and also where there's almost no chance of running into one. I've seen my share of scorpions (and snakes) in the daylight hours, never been an issue and that is why I've gone so long without a UV light. Without going into detail, I've started putting myself in situations (not camping) where scorpions around me (at night) would be more of a concern. Again, very rarely.

So, to address your comment: Even if you don't see something, does not mean that it's not there. I wouldn't be able to comment on the effectiveness of the flashlight unless I was able to consistently spot scorpions with it. And if I can't see any with the flashlight, it could mean: A: The light works great but there are no scorpions. But it can also mean: B: There are plenty of scorpions right there but the flashlight sucks at lighting them up.... This is an actual conundrum that I'm having myself. I may have to deliberately go out there at night and actively look up some scorpions, just to know that the flashlight will deliver when I need it to.... Kind of a bummer but I guess I'll have to do it... don't know when though. I've thought of getting/buying for next to nothing some dead scorpions (I know a guy) and testing out the light on them but I'm too grossed out. (Supposedly, dead ones light up just as much as live ones)

Anyway, it looks like I may be getting the Convoy S2 instead, after all. Read below.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
So, I was ready to pull the trigger on the i5UV EOS but then it hit me!

I always carry with me two CR123A cells. They're inside a plastic sleeve (by Nitecore), which makes them fit nicely in a 18650 body. My current main, go-to flashlight is the Fenix E30R and I carry those two CR123's as a backup. I ALWAYS carry them with me, often a second set as well (also inside the Nitecore 'adapter'), depending on how I've equipped myself for the task (hike) at hand.

How about I "stick" those two CR123A's in the Convoy S2? I mean I have to carry them anyway. The CR123's can just sit in there and wait for when I need to take them out and use in my Fenix E30R, or, for when I need to shine some UV light around me for a minute or so. I think it's perfect! 'Killing two birds with one stone' springs to mind.

So, am I good? Here's the link to the product again:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32873025585.html

There's almost nothing in the specs... But I don't think that physically there should be a problem sticking a couple CR123's in there, especially that I'll be using the plastic sleeve.
How about the driver, do you think it'll be OK with 6+ volts?

Also, I'm not sure about that filter.. I think I would prefer to see the actual beam (just a little bit of it)..

Thanks!

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
I think I might be better off with this version:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001427736745.html

Love that orange peel... The other one (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32873025585.html) may actually be a true "black light", which I am not so sure about. I want to be able to make out the coverage of the beam (in total darkness), so, if the "filtered" version throws a semi-visible beam I would still go for it, instead of the other one. What do you think?

I may have to start a new thread. Would really hate to order both products just to see which one is right for me....

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The linear 7135 driver of the Convoy is specified at 6v maximum, but will dissipate voltage over Vf as heat. In short, 2xCR123A will work, but inefficiently.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
The linear 7135 driver of the Convoy is specified at 6v maximum, but will dissipate voltage over Vf as heat. In short, 2xCR123A will work, but inefficiently.

Thanks, man. That is very useful info.

I have other questions that are specific to this flashlight, so, imma start a new thread.