Looking for a new EDC pocket light…

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm looking for a new EDC pocket light. I prefer LED pen lights via AAA batteries but I'm also noticing that they now make more flat EDC lights. I'm unsure what direction I want to take. On the daily I carry a pistol on my right side about 5 o clock. My cell phone is in a holster at my 3 o clock right side or in my left front pocket. I carry a full titanium pocket knife right front pocket which after carrying another titanium knife and light in the same pocket, I'd like to avoid keeping them together unless the light has a coating that won't clash with the knife in my pocket. My belt is pretty well loaded up so that's a no go. At work I'm up and down from my office chair all day so that's something to consider. I figure somebody here has some suggestions! But I'd like to get a light back in my pocket, cell phone doesn't cut it. I use the light anywhere from lighting up the bedroom to looking for the dogs in the backyard 40 yards off to looking in a crawl space.

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
I looked at that but was curious about other options. What batteries that are rechargeable are close in size to AAA? 18650 lights seem to be too big for me for EDC

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not a lot of info to go on, but when I think of something that's flat, in a sort of long / slender form factor, carries well in a pocket, and is rechargeable I think of this. For details, look under 'Documentation' for the 'Data Sheet' and 'Fact Sheet'. I don't have one, but would like to and probably will at some point. I believe it to be a quality piece.

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
That's not a lot of info to go on, but when I think of something that's flat, in a sort of long / slender form factor, carries well in a pocket, and is rechargeable I think of this. For details, look under 'Documentation' for the 'Data Sheet' and 'Fact Sheet'. I don't have one, but would like to and probably will at some point. I believe it to be a quality piece.

What other info do you all need that would help?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reddit r/flashlight uses a format like this to ask for recommendations. It'll help the community narrow down options to what might suit you best.

To make things easier, I'll put the blank form here if you'd like to copy/paste and fill in your requests.

Price Range:

Purpose:

Battery Type & Quantity:

Size:

Type:

Main Use:

Switch Type:

Anything Else?:

Last edited:

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
Price Range: Under $200

Purpose: EDC

Battery Type & Quantity: AAA or close in size. Smaller than 18650

Size: A little bit larger thickness wise than a preon at largest, stream light stylus pro at longest.

Type: Pocket carry

Main Use: automotive under hood inspection, checking 40 yards across the property to spot where dogs are, general indoor use.

Switch Type: Tail switch, though not too picky.

Anything Else?: may be in pocket with titanium knife. Non marring would be a plus, but not necessary if there's an alternate way to carry on body that's discrete.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really just indicating what I've tentatively chosen for a similar application for myself. I'm not that familiar with all the options out there, but if you wanted to provide more info, I'd suggest also providing comments on suggestions as they're made.

I've noticed that's often some of the best info one can provide. Taking a suggestion that might be close and indicating 'I like this / I don't really like that' or wanted 'more of this / less of that' about a specific example / suggestion often allows others (who may be more familiar with the market than I am) to more easily home / triangulate in on a more appropriate suggestion. Comparisons to a particular example like that can be productive.

EDIT: Generally speaking, I use tail-switch lights exclusively for all but some large ones, and if I buy a SL Wedge, it will be a sole exception.

Last edited:

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rovyvon Aurora A1x might be a good option. Small profile, rechargeable, and plastic body (metal bezel). Decent output.

Here is a list of lights enthusiasts on Reddit recommend. It's pretty comprehensive and is updated quarterly at each equinox/solstice.

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
The thrunite ti4t was my favorite EDC light I've owned. So something similar would be nice.