Looking for some Antenna HDTV help...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Subscribing to this thread so I'll know when you have more info on this. Was going to get the IR receiver on a >10 year old Sony fixed (seems the resistors overheat but can be replaced), but this might make it not worthwhile since a lot of my OTA stations have interference - probably reflections from all the trees, and I am in a depression too, so no direct LOS to anything. Preferred analog - the sound was clear even if the picture sucked.
Yeah I have issues with multipath signals here especially in higher winds/gusts the other day we had gusts up to 50mph and almost all of my stations kept "hiccupping". You may be helped from an antenna on a pole as it would get you more out of that hole you are in.
I liked analog for distant reception but with large buildings in a city you often had ghosts and shadows on your pictures of many stations that digital reception did not have plus stations with a little snow on them come in razor sharp here but sadly some stations went from watchable on a normal antenna setup to non existent with digital tv. I think that many stations were sold on lowering transmitter output thinking they didn't need as much power to get out there and lost a lot of customers on the fringes when they dropped effective power output to save costs.
As for the Sony TV if it cost more than $20 or so to fix it and is not larger than 40 inches I would consider retiring it as the cost of 4K tv sets in the 50+ inch range keeps falling. The problem these days however is shutdowns over the virus has greatly reduced factory output of sets such that finding sets in stores has become very hard. I've was looking at a Visio 55 inch before all of this virus stuff started and now it is like the factories are all shut down only can find some 65 inch ones and a few 40 inch or below down from 15-20 offerings to abou4 4-6 in their line now.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
You may be helped from an antenna on a pole as it would get you more out of that hole you are in.
As for the Sony TV if it cost more than $20 or so to fix it and is not larger than 40 inches I would consider retiring it

No place for a freestanding pole, can only maybe raise the one bolted to the end of the house. Its on my to do list...

The space can only fit 32" - and there seem to be fewer of that size being made these days. Prefer Panasonic, the remote does not require you to enter the sub-channel numeral after the dash or dot, but defaults to "-1."

Ebay repair place charges about $50 to rebuild the board. Common failure, it seems.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
No place for a freestanding pole, can only maybe raise the one bolted to the end of the house. Its on my to do list...

The space can only fit 32" - and there seem to be fewer of that size being made these days. Prefer Panasonic, the remote does not require you to enter the sub-channel numeral after the dash or dot, but defaults to "-1."

Ebay repair place charges about $50 to rebuild the board. Common failure, it seems.

If it is only a 32 inch tv.... $50 is probably too much as 32 inch tv sets now are dirt cheap. I've seen these shelf setups with a hole in them for old tube tv sets and wondered if people could accept attaching a flat panel type tv set on a mount having it float a few inches outside of the front. One place you can mount an antenna if you have a chimney there used to be mounting kits for them.