low-cost solar garden lights

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought to start a discussion about solar garden lighting, what's new, good, or not-so-good.

For sure there is a lot of low-priced junk out there, which does not hold up long, maybe not even one year. OTOH there are some reasonable good ones out there at decent prices e.g. $10 or less.

To be sure, most of these produce only small amounts of light, good for a bit of local illumination, as "markers". None are not going to save enough energy to pay for themselves. I estimated one small lamp taking 75-100 years to break even, at current line costs! But they are convenient, moderately useful, and fun to test out, and just to look at.

Usual disclaimed, this is not product endorsement, just opinion and personal experience.

I just picked up an amazing metal/glass filament LED lantern from Home Depot for around $5 (reduced price). These are bulk packaged i.e. stuck into a cardboard base, almost no instructions or specs. It runs on 1AA NiMH; solar panel is about 4 sq. in. of crystaline silicon (mono- I think). The light is quite bright (14 lumens) and with a good days' sunlight this time of year (at 45 degree latitude and non-optimal aiming) will last at least 3-4 hours, then drops to dim for a while longer.

I may try to get a night shot, regrettably my phone camera does not do justice to it.

Dave

1710445647115.png

Last edited:

TPA

Enlightened
I've not played with solar outdoor lighting in years, but it traditionally was a lot of promises with very little performance. I know it's change A LOT since then.

One of my neighbors has a bunch of them in a single planter. After the hurricane they'd bring them inside to light up the condo then set them outside the next day. They used to have them along their pathway, but never put them back out, so now she has a "light plant" going.