My experience with mega corded lights

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using 40,000 lumens(2000 watts) for work lights since 1992, starting at 10,000 in the Spring of 1990. In 2012, I graduated to a 40,000 lumen metal halide, plus 30,000 lumens (Lowell total plus, halogen). In 2014 I graduated to a 1000 watt, electronics blasted 120,000 lumen light plus the occasional 600 watt 80,000 lumens metal halide when I need to light a a 20 foot by 15 area....... All of these lights still run fine.... One 1000 watt ballast needed to be replaced at circa 6000 hours. ...

Then I have purchased several 500 watt, 300 watt, 200 watt, 100 watt led outdoor flood lights. All of these are now dead, and were barely used in comparison to the metal halide lamps. I tried to make a few 50 watt driverless lights, but as soon as the fan controller or dimmer broke, so too did die their led. I use one 270 watt light as a bedroom wake up light that I built in 2017. I was trying to make a 500 watt light and discovered later that 8 or 9 of the ten 50 watt Chinese driverless chips were fake and only 20 watts. I never run the light over 100 watts and it is very efficient when driven under 100 watts, using the dimmer dial. But not worth dragging to the job.

I learned that the heatsinking cost of fixed lighting is insane, unless you use 200 lpw, and I think that the heat is killing the overpriced led drivers because the heat sinks are overpriced.

I recently bought a 100 watt ac infinity grow light with Samsung 301b 220 lpw leds. It is a little heavier than I expected. But have high hopes as there are many people who are fans of the brand. At 1000watts the light is only coffee cup warm of a mug of coffee that would not be uncomfortable to drink or hold. It has a dimmer 20,40,60,80,and 100 percent. I am very excited about the fact that it is extremely cool to the touch at 60 percent and under, which means that it should last more than a few months. My guess is that it puts out over 15,000 lumens, at 4k Kelvin at 100 watts. Cri unknown.

The light is too bright for a wake up timer light even at 20%. Okay after I open my eyes to further wake up. My intention is to use it as a house cleaning light, maybe as a light to do art by. It is probably too fragile and too big to throw under a vehicle seat for an emergency work light in the field. (I tote around my winged metal halides in 5 gallon buckets with a tota stand, fire extinguisher and, cords, etc. In the bucket).

My observation is that led worklights have yet to match their 600w and 1000w metal halide counterparts. But, the 220 lpw Samsung might fill the niche of the clamp on 1500 watt tungsten of yore...I personally don't like anything less than 80,000 lumens for serious work, but would need some kind of fold out Samsung 301b light with at least a 400 watt driver (would need a 5 foot stand too) , but I don't see any such animal. I am not sure where to source parts if I were to build my own.

But I got to say I really like the Ac infinity light and hopeful that I can trust the brand in the future for building quality, state of the art, affordable, efficient lighting, so I don't have to do so much work in the future building my own. I do not mind building my own, if the cost is good. But I also want to be able to buy something that meets all specifications when I am too busy to source, wait and build.

of my Metal Halide lights from 2012, still