Lumintop SD75 (XHP70, 4x18650) Charging/Rechargeble Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

NITE2TEST

Newly Enlightened
Lumintop SD75 will be available on GearBest very soon for great price. Tell me what you think about group buy so maybe I could start new thread on CPF for that deal. Price will be available only with PM.
Thanks
Nikola

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In this case batteries must be matched, I am not an expert but no serial charging is possible with different tipe of cells.
Yes, that is my understanding as well - no balance charging is done by the charger, it simply responds to the voltage of the combined cells in series. As such, it is dependent on the user to make sure the cells remain well-balanced at all times.

Neslin

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SD75 a few days ago, along with 4x Olight 3600mah batteries with PCB. After I assembled the torch, it became clear to me that I would need some sort of Lanyard due to its big size :p Secondly, I went straight to charging it. My light does`nt charge... At all. The level-lights on the back tells me that it charges, but the charger itself remains on green light. Charged overnight without any response on the voltmeter on the backside. The batteries came half-charged, so I went outside to try out the beamshot. I get a centerspot which is dark. Not like in any of the rewievs I`ve seen here. Spoke with the seller, and he says it`s normal behaviour of a XHP70 emitter to not light up the center of the "hotspot". And furthermore it seems to lack a "mid"-output. It goes to high straight away, only with a highfrequent sound. It`s not loud, but I can still hear it. Oh, there was a 12v car-charger in the box aswell, but it does not seem to charge there either. I`m sending it back first thing tomorrow, and hopefully it all works out well.

Stian, Norway.

Neslin

Newly Enlightened
It clearly sounds like you got a bad unit. Hopefully the replacement with work better.

And :welcome:

Thank you! As of now, I`m waiting for Acebeam K60 to drop in to a postoffice nearby :) I went for that light instead of the SD75. Mainly because of the holster actually. Should be arriving today I hope.
Thanks for all the good reviews, Selfbuilt! You are really going under the skin of these products, which helps us to decide what to get :)

Stian

v188

Newly Enlightened
I bought my SD75 from Amazon Lumintop Direct at Christmas. Bought Orbtronic protected cells. It charged right up and I was happy with the light. I unscrewed the base to kill any vampiric draw and last night got it out to use. Dead. I've been charging all day today. The 110 wart always stays green. Light bases shows constant red, a single green LED and occasionally all green LED's for a moment. I've tried the car charger, with no luck.

I don't understand why it drew down the cells, nor why it won't charge. Now I'm hoping my email with Lumintop Direct will work. Great light but I'm disappointed. PS I also tried another set of standard 18650 and they won't charge.

Font know what to think.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
I bought my SD75 from Amazon Lumintop Direct at Christmas. Bought Orbtronic protected cells. It charged right up and I was happy with the light. I unscrewed the base to kill any vampiric draw and last night got it out to use. Dead. I've been charging all day today. The 110 wart always stays green. Light bases shows constant red, a single green LED and occasionally all green LED's for a moment. I've tried the car charger, with no luck.

I don't understand why it drew down the cells, nor why it won't charge. Now I'm hoping my email with Lumintop Direct will work. Great light but I'm disappointed. PS I also tried another set of standard 18650 and they won't charge.

Font know what to think.

Oh sh*t, I thought my recent experience was just a quirk, but now I'm worried.

The SD75 I left for my parents at their home was completely dead when I checked on it this past week, despite the fact that I knew I charged it up.

I figured they used it and didn't charge it yet. I plugged it in and the charging seemed to work, though, unlike yours. However, I also think I put protected Panasonics into this (and can confirm in a few days), so now that would mean the protection circuit saved it if there was a defective short or something funky going on in the battery carrier.

Overall, I can't call this a great light or a smart purchase because these torches been experiencing one problem after another. I would be even more pissed if they are now ruining batteries and are a safety hazard.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
Any Feedback on the Reliability of the built in electronic components.

No bueno. I'm experiencing a parasitic leak or something like that with mine -- with no usage, the torch ends up dead just sitting around. Similar situation reported by others too. Avoid!

Neslin

Newly Enlightened
It clearly sounds like you got a bad unit. Hopefully the replacement with work better.

And :welcome:

Hello again :)

Been using K60 since christmas and I`m really happy with the light! I was told to use IMR batteries, but the seller assured me that the 3600mAh`s with PCB would work just fine. And since I had issues with the SD75, he sent me 4 extra batteries as a "pat on the back", plus a small pocket-light from armytek. Now I just want more lights! And a darker place to live! Northern Norway at 03:30 in the morning is still bright as daylight, and the midnight sun shines through my windows :p

Thanks again for all you tests, now I just have to decide what to buy next :)

Stian, Norway.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the contrary, I quite like mine. I took mine on the Appalachian trail for a night and it was awesome. Even used it to charge phones which saved from having to bring any other battery packs. Of course I wouldnt bring it for more than a night or two as it is a big light, but all lights like this are the same anyways. I don't have any parasitic drain on mine worth mentioning. I last charged it months ago and use it on and off and I still have 4/5 bars.

Neslin

Newly Enlightened
On the contrary, I quite like mine. I took mine on the Appalachian trail for a night and it was awesome. Even used it to charge phones which saved from having to bring any other battery packs. Of course I wouldnt bring it for more than a night or two as it is a big light, but all lights like this are the same anyways. I don't have any parasitic drain on mine worth mentioning. I last charged it months ago and use it on and off and I still have 4/5 bars.

Nothing against the brand or anything, it`s just that it seems some people have had a few issues with the light. And you seldom hear of the ones that works as intended :p The gadgets along with the SD75 were amazing, and if it only would have worked properly when it came to charging it, I probably would have still had it as my number one light. I`m fairly new to torches. Though I managed to test it abit, and it turned night into day. But so does the K60, and after carrying those two lights around for a moment, I realized that for my part I appreciated the opportunity to carry the torch in my belt. Both lights have the same emitter I think, but due to startup-issues the choice fell on the K60 instead of the SD75.

ACP60

Newly Enlightened
My drains down when just sitting around also. I seem to have misplaced the AC/DC charger. I want to get a replacement. Anyone know which plug to get? 5.5x2.1mm or 5.5x2.5mm? I think it is the 2.1mm. I asked Lumintop but have yet to hear back. Thanks in advanced.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
My drains down when just sitting around also. I seem to have misplaced the AC/DC charger. I want to get a replacement. Anyone know which plug to get? 5.5x2.1mm or 5.5x2.5mm? I think it is the 2.1mm. I asked Lumintop but have yet to hear back. Thanks in advanced.

Lumintop and this SD75 is horrible. I've had two sets of 4x18650 ruined by this torch and the parasitic power drain, and so for over a year, this has just been a big paperweight for me since anything I put in there will be undervoltage eventually and not safe to recharge (even protected 18650's).

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh sh*t, I thought my recent experience was just a quirk, but now I'm worried.

The SD75 I left for my parents at their home was completely dead when I checked on it this past week, despite the fact that I knew I charged it up.

I figured they used it and didn't charge it yet. I plugged it in and the charging seemed to work, though, unlike yours. However, I also think I put protected Panasonics into this (and can confirm in a few days), so now that would mean the protection circuit saved it if there was a defective short or something funky going on in the battery carrier.

Overall, I can't call this a great light or a smart purchase because these torches been experiencing one problem after another. I would be even more pissed if they are now ruining batteries and are a safety hazard.

After I ruined a set of 4 18650s, I have learned my lesson.

This light's parasitic drain rate is just horrible!

Btw, this light has been compared to the Acebeam K60 which I also have.

The K60's mechanical tail clicky master switch is heaven-sent for those who worry of parasitic drain (of which there is none) combined with the magnetic rotary mode selector, is a far more desirable design as compared to Lumintop's long-press to turn-on (or off) UI.

Last edited: