LunaSol Review w/Pictures and Picture Comparison

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received McGizmo's remarkable LunaSol, earlier this week. Have been focusing on keeping flashlights for use and daily carry. Was concerned that the LunaSol 27mm head was too large for carry, however the combination flood and Cree beam was too intriguing to pass up.

I have had the good fortune to handle many McGizmo offerings from the original McLux, Aleph's, PD's, Ti III, Mule and a few others :)

My preference is pocket carry and I have one of Matts' (Holester fame) "sleeves" that I slide a PD (or Aleph2, Ti III) and it resides in a front pants pocket.

The best beam has been the Ti III or Ti-PD-S and covers most of my needs for daily use. I "puppy walk" with a HD45 (Lux V)or Surefire U2 and use a Mule type or Spy 005 for inside and adjusted for nighttime use.

My carry rotation is Nautilus (123), Spy 007, or TnC AA Flu-Pic Seoul.

The Luna Sol has the best finish fit and workmanship of any Ti light I have owned. The "flood" low is an unbelievable artifact free flood beam for many normal tasks and illuminated a nice area (similar but seemingly more useful than the Mule "high"). The Cree that illuminated with the second level high is amazing, utilizing the Nichia flood ring low and adds a bright spot throw beam that is distinctive and unusual in my experience.....very useful for both indoor and outdoor nighttime use. (LunaSol may become a "dog walker", too). May add beam shots, later.

I believe that this light can be pocket carried.

271899323_e47pf-M.jpg
271899197_j4ovi-M.jpg

271899156_cn2Qb-M.jpg

271899181_TfrAZ-M.jpg

Bernie has beamshots and runtimes listed in LunaSol FAQ, McGizmo forum.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparison to perhaps some familiar lights :nana:

LunSol, Aleph 2 (Luxeon III Led)
271899284_5JTpm-M.jpg
271899305_QwAtq-M.jpg

Spy 005, LunaSol, Nautilus (bare proto)
271899240_mSzH7-M.jpg

Surefire U2 (Leef 18650 body and Tailcap w/McClicky),far left, Surfire E1e far right
271899255_gzna7-M.jpg

jeffb

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
MIne has come.
I agree completly that even when compared to Don's "older" offerings which were very nice the :unasol pushes the TI finish envelope. It is even nicer...if that is possible. It is most visable in the details which are fine. No doubt the lunasol's beam is unusual. The combination of the wide beam and spot is very good outside at light. the illumnation area is very large...
Very unusual.
Cool light
Yaesumofo

Nice really nice.
When mine comes I will also make some comparson shots just for the fun of it.
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just about freaked when i read you have a Spy 007 in your edc rotation already.... But I see in the pics it is a 005.. Not nice to tease that way!

KingSmono

Enlightened
Bump for my favorite light!

It's been a over a year since this review was posted... anybody else still love their LunaSol 27 as much as I do???

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a LS20 and I love it. Can't believe how smooth the twisting is. When I had a Ti PD It was quite gritty when twisting but the Lunasol is as smooth as my Al PD.