• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M2-50 Direct Drive SST-50 M2 Head: in limited production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctis

Enlightened
Maybe DMM issue, not wanting to read closer to 5A's? Which DMM you using?

Bill
I suppose you would call it a "cheap" DMM from the RatShack.

On the other hand, it reads my regulated SST-50 from Nailbender at around 2.8A, my M61 at about 0.88A, and my SST-90 Direct Drive at 4.5A

I'd say it's fairly accurate, but perhaps the discharge ability of a single AW 2600mAh cell was overestimated? My SST-90 Direct Drive would give me similar readings using that cell.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need to use some very stout leads to get a decent reading with these high current, low voltage setups.

The meter quality is probably fine.

Even my standard fluke leads will read low on these types of units.

Try some 6 inch long 12Ga. leads.

These will pull about 5 amps from a fresh AW 18650 2600 cell.

Make sure the shelf in your hosts head is clean for good contact also.

Noctis

Enlightened
You'll need to use some very stout leads to get a decent reading with these high current, low voltage setups.

The meter quality is probably fine.

Even my standard fluke leads will read low on these types of units.

Try some 6 inch long 12Ga. leads.

These will pull about 5 amps from a fresh AW 18650 2600 cell.

Make sure the shelf in your hosts head is clean for good contact also.
Which part is the shelf?

Noctis

Enlightened
Now see, that just sounds a bit off on the lux numbers.
Dereelight DBS_____Dereelight MC-E__________2 AW 2600mAh _________ 470.8 ______ 1 sec_______417______10,425___
__________________________________________________ _____________ 420.8_______30 sec_______________________
_______________________2.1A driver Stock ______________________________________ 414.6_______1 min________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________406.9_______2 min________________________
______________________________________________________________________________402.3_______3 min________________________
BigC tested the Dereelight DBS with an MC-E drawing 2.1A at about 10425 calculated lux at 1m... unless his math is off? o_O

Night testing wasn't conclusive, as I suspect the neutral tint makes it slightly difficult to make out the beam against the ambient lighting. Seems about as bright as my SST-90 in a ceiling bounce, it leaves a "flashing" spot in my vision further away from the wall than my 90, and my xeno lamp seems just as bright when I point the beam inside.

So it might just be a tint thing.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now see, that just sounds a bit off on the lux numbers.

BigC tested the Dereelight DBS with an MC-E drawing 2.1A at about 10425 calculated lux at 1m... unless his math is off? o_O

Night testing wasn't conclusive, as I suspect the neutral tint makes it slightly difficult to make out the beam against the ambient lighting. Seems about as bright as my SST-90 in a ceiling bounce, it leaves a "flashing" spot in my vision further away from the wall than my 90, and my xeno lamp seems just as bright when I point the beam inside.

So it might just be a tint thing.

The DBS is a purpose built thrower with a larger deeper reflector with a smooth finish.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Un-scientific M2 testing :)

Link

Indeed, that's more un than scientific... :candle:

Perhaps it's me, but I couldn't say whether you use an M2-50 or a stock SF light, because you have no idea of the sizes of the things you illuminate, nor the distance they are away. The fire could give an idea, but as it's fire, it also emits light and disturbs the beam and the camera.

Nice try though! :wave:

Paulinski

Newly Enlightened
Guys

It was something I did for fun. No way I was comparing the M2-50 to anything. I had amazing flashlight / my Nikon digital camera and free time....lol...

As I stated it was NOT scientific in any way shape or form....

I love this flashlight - its the brightest light I own so far - the tint is amazing.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I take it there are no plans for more of these

These are currently in limited production. That means small, infrequent batches.

The M2-50 is currently where the Triple was last year. Production is in the pre planning stage and its design can still change.

Status
Not open for further replies.