M2R Pro burned holes in my pocket!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought of that as I carry my keys hanging by a carabiner, but couldn't get it to turn on that way when I tried deliberately.

EDIT: After playing around trying to get this to work, I noticed if I did it just right with something steel shaped just right, it would turn on in turbo. I guess it's the magnet pulling on the steel just right to push the switch in.

EDIT 2: I just now tested my previous theory with my actual keychain and tried to replicate my findings with the only steel item that would come in contact with the tail switch, a pico widgy bar and could not get it to turn on the light no matter how hard I tried.

interesting, so I'm not the only one. I think my keys were the culprit too, either the keys or the ring they were on for the m2r

edit; as for the sc600 that was do too the side switch in the pocket. Happened after 5 months of edc

Last edited:

kssmith

Enlightened
At one time, most of my work pants had holes burned in the rights pockets from various lights. I just go some new ones and already have burned two pair...

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I have been carrying a ZL 600 in my front left pocket for nearly two years now. It has NEVER come on even once in the pocket. Years back I carried a 6P and/or a Malkoff MD2 in the same position with a McClicky soft-press tail-cap....that DID come on a few times while I was driving a car. I eventually switched to a med press boot for the tail-cap and that fixed it. I carried a Fenix PD35 TAC in my back pocket a few times and it never came on while seated. THAT position probably works because my gut is in the front!

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I have this same problem; but I can't sit with it in my back pocket because my posterior is quite diminutive; so no padding! No win here!!

Well my butt's not too big either. I think rear pocket carry depends on the style of your pants/shorts pockets....and the position/type of pocket clip. Flashlights with tactical butt switches (that I have tried) don't sit deep enough in my rear pocket where I actual sit directly ON it while seated.

Unless it is a Cu or Ti Olight, always unscrew the battery cap or body 1/4 before pocketing it. You can also use the software lockout mode on this and most Olights by holding down the side button for two seconds or more, will lock it out. Same to unlock. I prefer loosening the end cap 1/4 turn but this only works on Al versions, all the other metals also conduct thru the threads.

BTW, 100+ manuals at my: http://drmemory.com/Olight/ :wave:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well if you have to unscrew the tail and lock it out to safely carry then that cancels out any chance of quickly deploying the flashlight in a dire situation. That's perfectly fine for a utility light but Olight markets this as a tactical item and THAT is NOT tactical.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Locking out the tail cap only disables the tail cap switch, but the side switch still works. I believe it is the side switch activating the turbo and not the tail. I have stopped carrying my M2R, any light that requires being locked out for safe pocket carry is a light not worth carrying. I may in the future experiment with different pocket clip positions so the switch is pointed in a safer location, but I don't feel like getting my pocket burned again soon.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying a ZL 600 in my front left pocket for nearly two years now. It has NEVER come on even once in the pocket. Years back I carried a 6P and/or a Malkoff MD2 in the same position with a McClicky soft-press tail-cap....that DID come on a few times while I was driving a car. I eventually switched to a med press boot for the tail-cap and that fixed it. I carried a Fenix PD35 TAC in my back pocket a few times and it never came on while seated. THAT position probably works because my gut is in the front!

it's very much the stile of pants I was wearing and how the pocket sits inside a larger pocket. Caterpillar carpentry pants, I had it clipped in one of the three pockets that are on the pouch that sits inside the pocket. Could have been a bunch up in the fabric or bumped by something I was carrying. It happened a few times but only melted the pocket once. I lock out the tailcap and use if for my non work edc now

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that locking out a flashlight is a common practice, in general, even with simple operations of SF twisty tailcaps. Didn't think this would be a surprise especially handling a high powered lights in small packages. I'm also surprised that side switch will work if the tail cap is unscrewed (unless it is Cu or Ti lights as DoctorMemory mentions).

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
It's not common for those of us who carry a flashlight for use with a firearm and/or self-defense. You want the light to be able to work right away.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not common for those of us who carry a flashlight for use with a firearm and/or self-defense. You want the light to be able to work right away.

I get that, but if you want it to be accessible for instantaneous use at all times, I would also think the way you would carry will be different, such as a holster or quick release belt clip.

If accidental activation is an issue, non-lock-out/pocket carry requirement will remove many options off the list, including tactically well accepted gas pedal switches. Any tail cap switches can be consider a risk without lock-out options (mechanical or software).

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Any tail cap switches can be consider a risk without lock-out options (mechanical or software).

Not at all....depending on pocket/build type and switch boot firmness many tactical lights with tailcap switches can be pocket carried safely. I've been doing it for years. The Olights are TERRIBLE designs for so-called tactical carry lights. Look I have nothing against NON tactical utility/enthusiast lights but the manufacturers shouldn't market a light like this as "tactical" when it's really NOT.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Olight, yuck

why yuck ? this could have happened with any light, olight or whatever.. thats a risk if u dont unscrew the tailcap or have it electronic locked.... u should treat lights today like u would carry a gun, never have it un-locked..

Last edited: