mag old style led confusion

William 1

Newly Enlightened
Morning people.
I'm looking for the tightest hotspot , furthest throwing 2d, old style, gen 2 maglite, but am confused by the many versions available.
There's the 213 lm 464 meter version, and 168 lm 412 meter version to name but two. Do these two options have the same led, but one having more lumens? Do they have the same tight hot spot, but obviously one a bit dimmer?
I believe the xpe-2 emitter has the tightest hot spot of any maglite, but I'm unsure if these two versions share that emitter.
Thanks in anticipation,,,,

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 213 lumen model was a 2019 upgrade to the 168 lumen model. May or may not use the same LED. I do not know. I do know the 213 lumen version has a bit cooler beam, yet hot spot is essentially the same.

C6354C24-08DD-4438-A975-A98F9360767A.jpeg

The 213 also has a low setting that's not easy to tell if it's on low or not because it's so dang bright. On low the hot spot shrinks a bit and the spill turns down some.

Anyway I'd opt for the 213 for much better run time if nothing else. In the practical sense they are largely the same beyond that.

William 1

Newly Enlightened
The 213 lumen model was a 2019 upgrade to the 168 lumen model. May or may not use the same LED. I do not know. I do know the 213 lumen version has a bit cooler beam, yet hot spot is essentially the same.

View attachment 22814
The 213 also has a low setting that's not easy to tell if it's on low or not because it's so dang bright. On low the hot spot shrinks a bit and the spill turns down some.

Anyway I'd opt for the 213 for much better run time if nothing else. In the practical sense they are largely the same beyond that.
Ah, thank you. That's very helpful.

hsa

Enlightened
Tiny emitters and well figured excellent plastic reflectors make these lights good throwers. It's the one I grab when the fog rolls in and I still have to take the dog for a walk in the fields. The lumen to candella ratio is probably the best in the industry. They will throw hard all night long or longer than I can stay awake. No heat issues and low drain. My 6 year old 168 lumen model hits my meter at 53000 cd. Ten thousand more than claimed.

William 1

Newly Enlightened
Tiny emitters and well figured excellent plastic reflectors make these lights good throwers. It's the one I grab when the fog rolls in and I still have to take the dog for a walk in the fields. The lumen to candella ratio is probably the best in the industry. They will throw hard all night long or longer than I can stay awake. No heat issues and low drain. My 6 year old 168 lumen model hits my meter at 53000 cd. Ten thousand more than claimed.
That's good to hear. Thanks for that.

Latest posts