Magcharger charging time

johnny

Newly Enlightened
Is Magcharger's battery charging time 10 or 16 hours (flashlightreviews says it's 16 hours) ?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag says ten after the initial 14 hour charge (and if you do the run it 'til it goes out every once in a while).
Also the basic formula for charging (a rate of 1/10 of capacity for 10 hours)says ten hours. It's a 2.2 Ah (or 2200 mAh) battery, and the charger puts out 220 mAh.

Last edited:

habibi

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
Is is possible to charge the aero nimh-batteriestick with the stock mc-charger? And is it possible to increase the charging speed by cutting that little resistor in the chargingcraddle or will it cause damage?

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
habibi said:
Hi there!
Is is possible to charge the aero nimh-batteriestick with the stock mc-charger? And is it possible to increase the charging speed by cutting that little resistor in the chargingcraddle or will it cause damage?

Yes and I don't know about cutting the resistor.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow, I just learned something here regarding recharging the batteries for 10 hours. I leave mine on for 8.

Thanks!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started charging one at around midnight and it didn't seem done by 10:00 this morning. The red led isn't blinking just a steady on. Old Mag equipment with the newer NIMH battery.

I really wonder if you was keeping this light in a car on a charger all the time and take it off to use it and put it right back on the charger wouldn't that mess with the battery? Like you have reduced capacity especially with NiCad?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, everyone I know who ever owned a MagCharger from back in the day, always kept it on the charger when they weren't using it. Basically 16 hours of charging for 1 hour of continuous use is a horrible ratio. Streamlight's incandescent models back then were more efficient. Some debated if it was 16 hours or only 10 hours recharging time. But best bet was just to leave it on the charger. No one cared if it messed with the battery or not.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started charging one at around midnight and it didn't seem done by 10:00 this morning. The red led isn't blinking just a steady on. Old Mag equipment with the newer NIMH battery.

I really wonder if you was keeping this light in a car on a charger all the time and take it off to use it and put it right back on the charger wouldn't that mess with the battery? Like you have reduced capacity especially with NiCad?
No. NICD batteries like being kept topped up. A trickle charge is good for them as they will self discharge on their own. NICD can be discharged down to zero volts, for months, and charged back up with zero damage. They're heavy. And low capacity. And toxic. And self discharge. But damn they're good cells