Magic Fire 40W HID 4000-Lumen 4x18650 HID Flashlight

BVH

Flashaholic
Okay, having read the above, I'm now concerned about my batteries. I bought 6 of the AW 3100 batteries and they cost $16 apiece. Now at least 2 if not 3 have the outer black liner torn off. Are you saying I should discard them? I definitely will if necessary.

In my opinion and for this light only, I would not use an unprotected cell because of the extremely tight clearance between cell and body/tube and the sharp tube entry geometry which increases the risk of label/insulation failure which Could lead to a rapid vent with flame. At least with the protected cell, the over-discharge should kick in and prevent this if all is working correctly.

If you have a light with more clearance, you could repair the label or remove the original shrink wrap and apply new wrap carefully with a heat gun.

Even with "safe" cells, I've seen the potential for rapid vent without flame with the CGR cells today. I would guess the same might be true of IMR's but I don't know that for a fact. At a minimum, if these safe cells dead short, they will be ruined.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL - I don't even OWN unprotected Lithium Ion cells, unless I count some primaries, etc.

:D

Its like they sell cars with seat belts, and without...OK, I'll get the one with the seat belt, just in case.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
All of my cells are protected. But what is IMR?

In my opinion and for this light only, I would not use an unprotected cell because of the extremely tight clearance between cell and body/tube and the sharp tube entry geometry which increases the risk of label/insulation failure which Could lead to a rapid vent with flame. At least with the protected cell, the over-discharge should kick in and prevent this if all is working correctly.

If you have a light with more clearance, you could repair the label or remove the original shrink wrap and apply new wrap carefully with a heat gun.

Even with "safe" cells, I've seen the potential for rapid vent without flame with the CGR cells today. I would guess the same might be true of IMR's but I don't know that for a fact. At a minimum, if these safe cells dead short, they will be ruined.

BVH

Flashaholic
All of my cells are protected. But what is IMR?

I'm sure it's covered better in the Battery University and other posts much better than I can here but IMR's are a different chemistry Lithium Ion that will not vent with flame even with a nail driven through it - or so it is claimed. Many in-the-know here on CPF acknowledged they are safer cells. Look for AW's IMR battery sales thread to see some. Unfortunately, they are always way less capacity for a given cell size. But I believe even they can vent without flame very rapidly. which will still do damage. Even LiFeP04's vent without flame as I have experienced with genuine A123 cells.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though shipping prep was terrible, it's not all bad. I've been running it this evening and I'm pleased with both the color and the output. In comparison to my Aurora and other lights in the 1,600 and 1,200 lumen range as well as a pushed 100W Vector searchlight, I gotta say it's a stretch to say this is a 4,000 lumen light. 3,000-3,500 max. But, it's still pretty good. I'm happy with the beam and spot quality and the profile is quite useful around the property. Output is massive but not gargantuan. So as far as how it works, I'm happy. I just wish it weren't beat to heck on arrival.

Wilkey

TEEJ

Flashaholic
To put it into perspective, the only batteries I have had that leaked, ruined lights, etc, are alkalines.....the lithiums have been trouble free, but I do try to treat them with the respect they deserve...and they pay me back, so far, by behaving.

chakrawal

Enlightened
Just received mine also with two gashes on the head but no others issue. DINOSAUR 18650 3100MA http://www.thaipowerlight.com/Batt-D...r-18650-3100mA fit ok and hot spot look ok with no artifact.
Package was in a very good condition no damage to the envelope or bubble.
photo4rl.jpg

photo5tk.jpg

photo1re.jpg

photo3re.jpg

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like mine got some bad packaging, handling, and damage.
There are 7 separate areas of damage on the head and tail.
However, the seller has made good, and this light, CNQG, and Ric are all good to go.

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys who are still waiting on the light (Patriot etc) should not open the packaging without taking photos and 'forensic exam' your torch and packaging to ensure that any damage is consistent with gashes and tears on the bubble wrap. I am starting to look at the photos and wondering how you could get some of the gashes and gouges on the bezel and not have the bubble wrap torn to shreds. If the sharp end of a roller wheel caught the flashlight I would expect the packaging to be torn a lot more. I am not a expert but I have had 'worse' packaging from some sellers and the stuff has come in tact without a scratch. I am starting to wonder? I am wondering if the flashlight originally were all inside one box and bumped on each other and caused the damage?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys who are still waiting on the light (Patriot etc) should not open the packaging without taking photos and 'forensic exam' your torch and packaging to ensure that any damage is consistent with gashes and tears on the bubble wrap. I am starting to look at the photos and wondering how you could get some of the gashes and gouges on the bezel and not have the bubble wrap torn to shreds. If the sharp end of a roller wheel caught the flashlight I would expect the packaging to be torn a lot more. I am not a expert but I have had 'worse' packaging from some sellers and the stuff has come in tact without a scratch. I am starting to wonder? I am wondering if the flashlight originally were all inside one box and bumped on each other and caused the damage?

I'm wondering the same thing, and still waiting on my light.. I'll definitely take a bunch of pics before, during, and after the unwrapping process.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast

mohanjude, wise idea, as Ric at CNQG is making right to several CPF members. He specifically requested emailed photographs of the damage. It is good to see that he is taking steps to remedy this issue.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The light meter is set to the 2000 scale.

Some are brighter at start up due to the boost phase while others are not.

In any case, it would be really difficult for me to de-dome the SR90 because while I'm not blown away with the sheer throw of the SR90, it's still impressive while having a very useable beam. If it really increases the throw by 90% as compared to a domed SR90, that's a surprisingly large improvement but as an HID fan, even the 200K lux figure doesn't make me do back flips. But hey, part of what makes this stuff fun is that everyone has their own idea about what's cool and which attributes are desirable. :)

A few (Proof I need a better low light with zoom camera...) beam shots for calibration purposes:

6962375591_2e1c239afb_z.jpg

Magic Gashfire illuminating a Power Line Tower at 800 meter range (In real life, you could see it better, but the pics suck - apply accordingly to pics to follow, etc...)

6816257096_af6dd07991_z.jpg

De-Domed Olight SR90 illuminating same tower at 800 meters (In real life, it was easier to see than with the Magic, but you could see the tower was actually lit up by both of them)

6962375899_15f67da926_z.jpg

Magic on Tower at 500 Meters

6962376207_076c58a21b_z.jpg

DD SR90 on same tower at 500 M, not zoomed (Forgot to shoot Magic unzoomed :duh2: )

6962376481_5fbbce027e_z.jpg

DD SR 90 on 500 M tower

--------

Pond, 233 meters to treeline on other side of pond - A building, visible as a light colored wall in some shots, was on the other side of that tree line about another 40 meters away.

6816259332_dac46e9428_z.jpg

Control

6816259514_63eb9e1908_z.jpg

Magic

6962377759_b9e88390d1_z.jpg

Magic

6816259914_924004ee17_z.jpg

Magic

6962378155_5875cc6fa8_z.jpg

Magic

6962378431_f232463c8c_z.jpg

DD SR90

6962378677_57e2faf658_z.jpg

DD SR90

6816260940_7f7d190911_z.jpg

DEFT edc LR

6816261168_6029244124_z.jpg

DRY

6962379445_5dd872fb02_z.jpg

Klarus XT20

6816261602_7da4796916_z.jpg

XT20

6962379885_2148b3277f_z.jpg

XT20

6962380161_478c75d3eb_z.jpg

Jetbeam RRT-3 XML

6962380389_cf997f3528_z.jpg

RRT-3 XML

6962380583_fdb19ed00e_z.jpg

RRT-3 XML

6962380771_327b3b8c6a_z.jpg

Foursevens Maelstrom S18

6962381031_5d754d50c0_z.jpg

S18

6816263160_731e132464_z.jpg

S18

So, that should give some real world order of magnitude comparisons for the Gashfire....I think it has a nice tint, pumps out a ton of light, and for the $, it works fine. If it KEEPS working, or if the banging around to get it to me messed it up, etc...I won't know for a while (I hope a LONG while) :whistle:

Last edited:

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
Well got my light today. The bulb is broke. Also the reflector has gray spots all over it. I think the gray spots are from the bulb breaking. Need help Ric.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
CNQ is learning the hard way about skimping on proper packaging. I would have thought that after years in this game he would have known better how harsh international freight can be on loosely packages items. With that many DOA and damaged lights being sent back to Ric, its bound to affect his profit levels more significantly than if he had packaged all the lights better in the first place. Not to mention his reputation as a seller. CN Quality? What quality?

Last edited:

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
I have no reason to talk bad about Ric being a sales person. He has helped me out a lot through this whole buy. Changed my order a couple times (because of me not knowing much about the battery's) and has always replied to my emails pretty fast. It just sucks coming home from work with a new present waiting for me and when I opened it up the bulb was just hanging there from the wire. I'm sure your right it is because of the packaging. It def could or I guess should have been put in a box. The first thing my wife said was why isn't there fragile at least on the package. Speaking of that my package what pretty much perfect. I have one little ding on my light that you can't really even see. I wouldn 't care if there was a few dings gashes if the bulb was broken. Anyway, dealing with Ric when buying this light hasn't been the problem. He seems like a good guy and will get us fixed up. Just sucks I have the light and still have to wait to fire it up.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anyone here on the forum has anything personal against Ric, I was one of the 1st people to defend him when some early birds missed out on the GB coupon and tried to obligate Ric to give them the GB coupon discount in retrospect. Its the quality of service that some of us have issues with. Let's be straight about it and not confuse the two.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As I said in the CPFM thread, I doubt Ric packed the lights...the were sent from Senso Electric Tech, and THEY probably put them into a baggie and shipped them out. Ric/Ric's company essentially hired them to do that...by ordering the lights from them, etc...and is therefore responsible ultimately, but, to be fair, now that Ric KNOWS about this, from what I can tell, he's taking care of it.

That's about all he CAN do right now.

Anyone can make a mistake...how you respond to it is what separates the men from the boys.

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
I don't think anyone here on the forum has anything personal against Ric, I was one of the 1st people to defend him when some early birds missed out on the GB coupon and tried to obligate Ric to give them the GB coupon discount in retrospect. Its the quality of service that some of us have issues with. Let's be straight about it and not confuse the two.

I'm not confused. Just telling how my experience was with the buy and I think Ric will be there for us to fix the problems.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I don't think anyone here on the forum has anything personal against Ric, I was one of the 1st people to defend him when some early birds missed out on the GB coupon and tried to obligate Ric to give them the GB coupon discount in retrospect.

Fusion, I'm going to assume you were referring to me in the above. You posted after me so I assume you read the chronology of my purchase posted in the buy thread? I may have ordered well in advance of the GB but the light did not ship until the day after the GB was offered by Ric. 9 full days to ship after I ordered. That, in itself is very poor customer service, especially when just about everyone else's lights shipped within 4-5 days of ordering. And then he waited until after it shipped to say no. That's pretty low in my book. And not once did I try to obligate him. I simply asked twice and then voiced my displeasure with his response.

Last edited: