Maglights: What to do with them?

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
I have recently been bitten and bought a bunch of electronic torches, particularly b/c I hated picking up a flashlight only to find it was dead. I actually learned this lesson from older power tool designs, the old Li-ion technology would never keep a charge longer than a week or two. Now, the new tools (DeWalt 20V Max) keep their charge for 6 months or more.

The question is, what do I do with the 3 Maglights that I have? Can they be rebuilt to LED/AA or AAA D cell cages? Where do you but the stuff if it exists? Is it worth it, or should I just chuck the Maglights and get another torch?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can upgrade Mags. Limited options on a budget, all make them very usable and brigther however, but will cost as much/more than buying lights.

Some very expensive upgrades that can make them rock, but you really have to do this because you want too.

And lots of custom and modding opportunities. But this really is the "hobby" side of this interest, rather than being the most cost affective route.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

i have been gripping (thinking heavy) with the same enigma. What to do with a mag? Or do I want an upgraded mag?

Options are the answers I found, decisions are not made instantly on my baby size budget. It gives me time for extra research.

cpfmarketplace has Malikoff and five mega for some options.
Another options is to sell the mags and go with xxxx recommended brand. Or a new mag?

the price of the upgrades is the same or more than a new mag. Desire plays a factor like chicken drumstick said ...

Please do let use know what you decide.

Cheers and happy hunting.

H.j.m.

Last edited:

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, food for thought. Not much on the Maglight site, will have to look into those other options. These lights DO have a great throw....

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Presuming you are talking about C and D cell sized Maglites... If you want to spend the money, Malkoff Devices has drop in upgrades starting at 40 bucks. These drop ins are widely highly regarded, but cost as much as a new light. If you're really attached to your mag, and/or like their ability to run on bigger cells, that's probably the best option.

I got a Nite Ize PR bulb upgrade for $5 and that was good enough for my purposes... It's a bit brighter than the incan bulb, but its icy blue tint is a trade off for the extra lumens. And I wouldn't expect it to take a beating the way a potted Malkoff drop in should.

You can also buy new reflectors if you want to improve the beam, or "sputter" the stock one. Personally I have little use for Maglite throw, so I just put diffuser film on the lens to make it usable at close range.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stash my old Maglites in a drawer, along with a bunch of alkaline batteries which I no longer use (because they leak). If a neighbour or someone I know needs a flashlight, I can get rid of two things I don't like: Maglites and alkalines.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
My Mags have car duty with Malkoff upgrades. In a pinch they could be a personal defense device. I am a bit paranoid about the Alkalines leaking so check them every couple of weeks when I clean the car.

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
Presuming you are talking about C and D cell sized Maglites... If you want to spend the money, Malkoff Devices has drop in upgrades starting at 40 bucks. These drop ins are widely highly regarded, but cost as much as a new light. If you're really attached to your mag, and/or like their ability to run on bigger cells, that's probably the best option.

I got a Nite Ize PR bulb upgrade for $5 and that was good enough for my purposes... It's a bit brighter than the incan bulb, but its icy blue tint is a trade off for the extra lumens. And I wouldn't expect it to take a beating the way a potted Malkoff drop in should.

You can also buy new reflectors if you want to improve the beam, or "sputter" the stock one. Personally I have little use for Maglite throw, so I just put diffuser film on the lens to make it usable at close range.

Those were all great ideas.

1. I don't see spending $40 for a drop in when it still leaves me with the primary problem. That is, picking up your flashlight and finding it dead or, better, dim.
2. For $40 I could get a number of great lights today, all based on secondaries.
3. The Maglights I have are huge, too large to carry conveniently.
4. Eventually, the primaries will probably leak and I'll have to throw them out anyway.
5. Primaries aren't as good in the cold.

If I could replace the primaries with secondaries that provided the kind of power in D cells and C cells, that might be worth something. Then at least the battery problem would be in line with what I am doing with the other lights. But then, there's the LED problem.

I think these lights are destined to find their place in my buddies camp. He's a little too "economical" to go with the new technology so he deals with dim flashlights. I'd give them to the kidz, but a new high tech light makes a great gift.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really don't have to spend that much to make them useful. But really depends what you want from them.

And which Maglites are we talking about exactly?

If it's D cell Mags, remember the prime trump card for a D cell is capacity. Alkaline D cells are something like 12,000 - 15,000 mAh. That is way more than an 18650 li-ion. So if runtime is important, these can still be useful.

Or there are options to use AA NiMh in converters if you prefer or even Li-ion.

You can buy simple drop ins like these:

Really cheap, and they just drop in like the bulb does. They won't set the word on fire with output, but will make any Maglite highly useful.

And a small LED in the largish reflector of the Mag means they'll throw really well, better than many 600 lumen+ XM-L based lights do.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are incandescent, getting a ROP going would be a nice option...

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
You really don't have to spend that much to make them useful. But really depends what you want from them.

And which Maglites are we talking about exactly?

If it's D cell Mags, remember the prime trump card for a D cell is capacity. Alkaline D cells are something like 12,000 - 15,000 mAh. That is way more than an 18650 li-ion. So if runtime is important, these can still be useful.

Or there are options to use AA NiMh in converters if you prefer or even Li-ion.

You can buy simple drop ins like these:

Really cheap, and they just drop in like the bulb does. They won't set the word on fire with output, but will make any Maglite highly useful.

And a small LED in the largish reflector of the Mag means they'll throw really well, better than many 600 lumen+ XM-L based lights do.

OK, so where would I get the LED drop in?

I have 2x2 cell D size and 1x 2 cell C size.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ebay is probably a good place to start. Although there must be other retailers in the USA.

I'm in the UK, so don't know what shipping is like to the USA
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221346423618?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(NOTE: Make sure you get one for the right voltage range, the one I linked is a 3D or above, but ones for 2 cell lights are available too).

As said, if you want to use AA's it's really easy, you can get some Sanyo 1AA to D converters like these:

AA -> C http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251187519125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

AA -> D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360516055252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

There are also 2, or 3 AA to D cell adapters about too, again check ebay or places like FastTech, Dx, Banggood, etc.

The 2D (and 2C) is also a good size to convert to li-ion. All you do for the D Mags is pull the spring out of the tailcap, cut the top off and put it back in upside down and you can now run 2x26650 in a 2D Mag.

If modding interests you could then very easily add a driver and MT-G2 and have maybe 2000-3000 lumens at your disposal.

broadgage

Enlightened
If you consider the maglights to be superseded by something more modern, there is a lot to be said for simply storing them, WITHOUT BATTERIES for use in any future emergency. Do of course keep a stash of batteries outside of the flashlights.
In the event of a multi day blackout or natural disaster extra flashlights are always in demand, no matter how well equipped you are, remember that friends, neighbours, relatives, or co workers might be very grateful for them in an emergency.

LED replacement bulbs are worth considering but even the supplied incandescent bulb should give at least 12 hours of reasonable light on one set of D cells.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some on Amazon for $20. There's also a general search. You can do just about any cheap upgrades. I even plan on upgrading some of my old cheapo lights, or at least testing them out to see how they would work. With places getting harder and harder to find replacement bulbs, it'd be ideal to find some good LED light replacements.

Or you can give them away and let the new owners worry about it. :) Keep in mind that an incan 2D Maglite can put out about 20 lumens, a Nite Ize LED $12 puts out 74 lumens. While this light is mostly a upgrade for Surefire lights i'm curious whether that will work in an incan Mag. With some modding maybe and it's cheap. Just do some searching like that on other sites and you'll find some good cheap LED replacements for your Mags.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the old D-cell Maglites. They were built much better than the twisty versions, and I'm a fan of warm tints. I still use my 4xD incandescent version, occasionally.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put one of these in my 3 C cell Maglight, and it is great. This light is my bedside light. I got mine off eBay.

Terralux TLE-6EXB MiniStar 5 LED Upgrade Conversion Kit, 2-3 cell C & D MagLite¨

Jerry

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
The 2D (and 2C) is also a good size to convert to li-ion. All you do for the D Mags is pull the spring out of the tailcap, cut the top off and put it back in upside down and you can now run 2x26650 in a 2D Mag.

If modding interests you could then very easily add a driver and MT-G2 and have maybe 2000-3000 lumens at your disposal.

Nice idea, something to look into...

ryukin2000

Enlightened
I also have a 2C mag and 2D mag. The 2C has a XP-G Malkoff Dropin running on 2-AA energizer lithiums in adapters. Also has X-cape tail cap for glass breaking. this one stays in my car. always works when i use it regardless of freezing temps or hot summers.
for my home the 2D aslo has a XP-G Malkoff 3D dropin. in runs on 3-C cells in a pvc sleeve with the spring cut short to work.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't see spending $40 for a drop in when it still leaves me with the primary problem. That is, picking up your flashlight and finding it dead or, better, dim.

Your stock incan Mag is dim when you pick it up because it's a direct-drive circuit in which the voltage sag of the cells determines output; using NiMHs can remedy this issue for the most part as they hold up much better under load, however the Malkoff drop-in circumvents this issue entirely by using a driver which regulates output - it will always run exactly at the rated output so long as the batteries have some life left, no dimming over time.

That said, your other points are solid, which is why I long ago converted my remaining Mag into an insane-lumen crowd pleaser. People expect a big light to have big output, so you might as well get what you can out of having to carry an aluminum log around. I prefer to use multi-AA battery carriers and common NiMH cells to keep powering cost and complexity down.