Maglite came out with a new tactical light

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The others don't drop out, they are regulated to lower output and lengthen runtimes if left on for a single duration. Depending on model this is either a gradual reduction or a defined step down. Cycling the light off/on will reset the regulation and restore full power.

But no idea if the MagTac 2 does this or not. Will need someone to test it. But I'd guess yes it probably does.
LOL, That IS called dropping output, which is exactly what i said. dropping output, is not the same as dropping out of regulation, which also does not really exist in those lights.
And no, it is not to increase the runtime, but to prevent damage due to heat,

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite calls it dynamic power management and yes the MagTac2 uses it too.

The dynamic management of the first gen ML25 was rock solid regulated so the 2C version was good for about 2 hours then would go dim to about 10% for about 15 minutes.
The 3C version had a management system that at the end of 18 hours was still at about 50% output.

ML50's and 300's have a dynamic management system that drops power to approx. 75% after a few minutes to yes lower the internal temperature but also increase runtime.

The 019 updated 2D classic uses it to get 17 hours from two D cells or over 100 hours on it's low setting.

Don't know how the MagTac2 reacts and honestly it doesn't really matter to me because if it dropped from 300 to 150 in a few minutes I probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So..how do you like your legs well done or extra crispy??
I've had problems with lights turning on In my pocket before.
Have literally only ever had that issue with one, poorly-made light.
And, I have literally hundreds of pocket-carry models from numerous brands.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So..how do you like your legs well done or extra crispy??
I've had problems with lights turning on In my pocket before.
That would depend on the design of the light and switch specifically. I edc a torch daily in my jeans pocket. 99% of the models I carry do not turn on in your pocket.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only seen that issue twice - one of my guys had a mini-Mag on a belt holster. It kept turning on while we were working, but on the "bright" side, I could always pick him out in the dark.

The other was when I neglected to lock out the tail cap before dropping a 6P in my pocket.

Finding your pocket steadily warming up gives you an appreciation for "trigger discipline."

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is odd, the first magtac is roughly 300 lumens and not rechargeable. The second one to come out was 500 ish lumens and had a charging rig, and the newest one is back to using primaries ? :( it's only 400 lumens?

One step forward two steps back

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is odd, the first magtac is roughly 300 lumens and not rechargeable. The second one to come out was 500 ish lumens and had a charging rig, and the newest one is back to using primaries ? :( it's only 400 lumens?

One step forward two steps back
Not supporting li-ion and 18650's as well as primaries in 2022 is IMO somewhat foolish and naive. Although I suspect they will bring a rechargeable version out that costs double.

Shame on them really for this.

However, as far as lumens go. It really isn't the entire picture. Go and take a look at the beam distance of the original MacTac and rechargeable one. It might surprise you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The rechargeable MagTac is a different breed than the original 2x CR123 Magtac kind of like the 850 ML150 LRS vs the 400 lumen ML50L.
The Magtac 2 is a revised version of the CR123 version. Perhaps they'll revise the rechargeable MagTac at some point.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
You guys all want rechargeable. I would say, what's with companies not doing duel fuel? That was super popular for a while and there was tons of support, then it just flittered out.

I
Have literally only ever had that issue with one, poorly-made light.
And, I have literally hundreds of pocket-carry models from numerous brands.
After I read the above quote, it occurred to me that nobody here raised an eyebrow to the fact that Monocrom reports having literally hundreds of pocket lights. (And this is noteworthy because...???) :cool:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I read the above quote, it occurred to me that nobody here raised an eyebrow to the fact that Monocrom reports having literally hundreds of pocket lights. (And this is noteworthy because...???) :cool:
It's noteworthy because Monocrom has pants that can carry them all. I think he bought the pants from MC Hammer.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not supporting li-ion and 18650's as well as primaries in 2022 is IMO somewhat foolish and naive. Although I suspect they will bring a rechargeable version out that costs double.

Shame on them really for this.

However, as far as lumens go. It really isn't the entire picture. Go and take a look at the beam distance of the original MacTac and rechargeable one. It might surprise you.
Newer emitter makes sense the beam would be better, however it's just not enough for me to like this light.
It's rare enough to see maglites on the shelves at local stores, so the likelihood of this even being even an impulse buy is nearly zero.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you see any maglites on store shelves they're probably new old stock. Maglite broke ties with most box stores who wanted to sell foreign made lights that cost a lot less to the box store.