MagLite ML50LX battery recommendation

paulyg

Newly Enlightened
Good day all.
I have a 3C MagLite ML50LX that I use as a primary duty light as a night tour Paramedic. It's usually started on High then switched to Medium or Eco as the amount of light actually needed is assessed.
I generally get 12-14 12hr tours out of one set of Energizer or Duracell Industrial batteries
Job responsibilities may occasionally (1-2x/yr) include being sent to disaster areas for 7+ days.
Can everyone weigh in with recommendations for batteries? Spare C cells are pretty heavy to be lugging around.
Thanks in advance!
Paul

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pauly,

@xxo should chimed-in sooner or later. He makes adapters for mags

You can also go with 2C ML50lx and run the ML li-ion adapter 1x 18650

Whatever you decide on using, EDC a couple spare li-ion cells for those extended TDY. The 18650 don't take up room like C cells, and easy to change out in the field.

I own a ML 1x 18650 adapter, and works great.

paulyg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks KG.
I have two 2C Mags that I'm running AA Eneloop Pros in adapters; one is powering a Malkoff dropin, the other has a Litt bulb upgrade. They're ok, but I wasn't sure if the 18650 would be better for the 3C and/or if 3xAA Eneloop w/ adapters would give me the same output
G

hsa

Enlightened
I have been running black eneloops in a 3cell ML50l for about six years and output is up to spec on my meter but I don't know about those dropins. @xxo runs a 21700 in his and I'm sure run time would be longer. Maybe he can chime in with some comparisons.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I just ordered two mag charger battery banks on sale at $20 each and a ML50LT ML25LT @ $22.99 also on sale. The MAG40 coupon worked and reduced the sale to something like $52. plus shipping which to me was about $12.

A few months ago I got the ML50LT ML25LT with a mag charger battery bank and I think it has become the most frequently used light in the house.

EDIT: Good catch Bykfixer :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just ordered two mag charger battery banks on sale at $20 each and a ML50LT @ $22.99 also on sale. The MAG40 coupon worked and reduced the sale to something like $52. plus shipping which to me was about $12.

A few months ago I got the ML50LT with a mag charger battery bank and I think it has become the most frequently used light in the house.
You mean the ML25LT? That's a great flashlight. I personally think it's the best Maglite since they did the minimag back in '84.

Another option for the 3 cell ML50 is the battery from the ML125. That was an early dual fuel number that came with a rechargeable battery but when needed it can run off 3 C cells.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
You mean the ML25LT? That's a great flashlight. I personally think it's the best Maglite since they did the minimag back in '84.

Another option for the 3 cell ML50 is the battery from the ML125. That was an early dual fuel number that came with a rechargeable battery but when needed it can run off 3 C cells.
Yes I meant the ML25LT. Oooops :-0

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running eneloops with adapters. They don't last all that long but I can carry a lot more double A on storm duty than c/d cells.

paulyg

Newly Enlightened
I think the optimal here is rechargeable in an adapter for daily use with 3xAA + adapters backup and a big box of Energizer AA Lithiums in the lift and shift tote.
I'm assuming the 18650 or 21700 would be the best options?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use xxo's 18650 and 21700 adapters for my 2C, 3C, 2D, and 3D Maglite's

I HIGHLY recommend them!
Thanks!

I have been real busy/traveling etc. I don't have the time to make/sell adapters at the moment. I still have a few adapters and lantern kits that I will probably put back up for sale when I have some time, but I probably won't be making any more for a while if at all.

Thank you all for your purchases.

Best,

xxo

Have you tried the ML 125 battery yet? Is that a 6 V battery stick?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It fits but does not appear it can put out the 700+ lumens that 3C cells can. But still as bright as the 400+ lumens of the 2 cell ML50. Yes it's 6 volts.

IMG_0616.jpeg

I could probably say left is the ML125 battery or the right and most couldn't tell. It's when you need it to reach out a couple hundred meters where you can tell the difference.

BTW the girth of the ML150 battery is larger and won't fit into the 3cell ML50 without a slight bore. That's too bad, huh?

Last edited: