Maglite Solitaire becomes key ring pill holder

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a small, keyring mounted capsule to hold ibuprofen and antihistimine tablets -- something like the Bison Designs aluminum capsule shown at: http://www.bisonbelts.com/catalog/capsule_large_661474.htm

I made a storage capsule from a Maglite Solitaire AAA flashlight which was no longer needed.

The first step was to remove the battery, spring, and spare bulb from the end cap. To shorten the overall length, I removed the head and bulb and slipped a soft plastic nipple over the end of the Solitaire to avoid exposing the threads. The plastic nipple had originally been found at the end of a roll of coaxial cable.

pill-holder2.jpg

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW said:
I wouldn't use any alumnium capsules for pills if I were you. Aluminum seems to play a role in Alzheimer's :

http://altmedangel.com/alzalum.htm

After reading your posting, I made a plastic liner for the inside of the Solitaire pill capsule by cutting down a piece of plastic bag and rolling it into the shape of a drinking straw. Thanks.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I believe soda cans have a thin coating inside the can. The alum. water bottle I am using has a coating too.

I have read an article about some doctors not using deordorant any more because it contains aluminum chlorohydrate - for the same reason :devil:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
What about aluminium mess tins using during camping trips? People cook with them right?

Also survivalist people often improvise stoves and cooking pots from cans, problably some are aluminium.

preacher

Newly Enlightened
Longbow said:
I don't use deoderant, don't have Alzheimer's, and don't have any friends. :laughing:

I use deoderant, but I can't remember who my friends are.:)

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I don't believe it has been concluded whether or not it is high exposure to aluminum or merely that those folks with the elevated aluminum simply are retaining larger than normal amounts. Studies can be read so many different ways....

Frangible

Enlightened
There is evidence for a not-very-well defined link between aluminum and alzhimers but you're not going to get much Al from putting pills in a flashlight body no matter what.

I read one medical study about people who take antiacids regularily, appearently they get a *ton* of aluminum and don't have any increased incidence of alzhimers. The authors speculated that the Al had to be absorbed dissolved in a liquid rather than eaten for it to match the data they'd seen.

I could not find any study that showed a link between deodorant and alzhimers though I suppose it's possible.

Anyway I really wouldn't worry about it too much. The studies on this haven't exactly been conclusive.

luigi

Enlightened
No matter what the studies show the amount of Al you can get from a pill stored in an Al container is probably less than the amount of Al you can get from drinking from a Soda can if your lips get in touch with the can :)
The Al in the container is not being dissolved into the pills you are going to take and the contact between the container walls and the pill is not enough to produce a contamination of the pill. I wouldn't worry about it.