Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0314.jpeg

Midnight blue with a Litt Industries clicky

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Flashaholic" and "stock Solitaire" don't go together in the same sentence. The notably smaller Klarus MiX5, with uses the even-smaller AAAA battery size, is five times brighter..
One might actually think this. Only back in the 90s or earlier a well built flashlight using only battery with a relatively low cost was amazing. I'll never forget the first time I seen one which I believe was at a Home Depot or 84 Lumber. I was blown away by it's percieved usefulness. Why it could be carried anywhere and it looked cool. Only it cost more than my father was willing to pay. I seem to think they cost quite a bit then but I only had budget for an Everready at IGA, a simple light, not a rebadged MagLite, at Radio Shack, or if I was being real clever some MagLite bulbs at TrueValue for someone else's light.

So when you opened one up you have this nicely made cylinder with black anodising. It isn't much light but people here fap to 1 lumen or less with moonlight mode so I don't wanna hear it. It breaks into very many well made pieces and includes a spare bulb. It isn't noticable in your pocket or perhaps on your keyring. I've bought a lot of them and given a lot away too. I ordered one recently in an uncommon colour, actually I've gotten three this year in purple, orange, and green with a jade one getting away. I also have an old Camel one I did a review of. It was in a few ways different from the 2000s ones because it has different pieces and lettering. I'll probably get some more to use as gifts.

3_gun

Enlightened
Picked up 2 of theses a few weeks ago at an estate sale, 2 for $1. Neither had been "leaked" & both still had a spare bulb in the tail. One in grey or pewter & the other black with "Golden Nugget ; Laughlin" on it in white. Nice little light with eneloop batteries now.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha 👍🏼. So some careful drilling could make it work, or could ruin the light. 🤔
Have you tried roughing the stock solitaire bulbs to rid of artifacts?
3m hand sanding pads works (red coarse, green medium) Just rotate the tip of bulb on the pad. Does not get rid of all artifacts but helps a lot to clean up the beam

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried roughing the stock solitaire bulbs to rid of artifacts?
3m hand sanding pads works (red coarse, green medium) Just rotate the tip of bulb on the pad. Does not get rid of all artifacts but helps a lot to clean up the beam
If I remember correctly, on my last one i actually sanded the lens instead of the bulb. Worked pretty good. I'll try the bulb before the lens next time.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
GG, I have a spare midnight blue incan Solitaire nib, if you're interested it's yours send pm
You rule!!! that was really cool.
The solitaire bulb is about 2 mm. The hole about 3. The yuji is 5mm.
I don't know how common it is anymore, but they used to make 3mm LED's. I think I experimented with it in the past and they can do the trick. I put a 5mm yuji in a 1990's Glock weapon light recently. And it works. If that can happen anything is possible.

sambob223

Newly Enlightened
be In
Might be better off hollowing out the Solitaire body and carrying matches inside.

J/k get a led Solitaire, $15 or so.
I'd be Interested In seeing how you get 4 hrs worth of matches Into a empty solitaire body....just me, okay