MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, does anyone know why the emitter is labeled as "091" instead of "090"? I searched the Lumileds site for any references to 091 but they only show data for the 090 part number.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
All versions of the Luxeon (last generation) MagLED completely slay the incan version. I can't see that the Rebel versions would be much different.

I'd be very happy if it turns out you're right, but the Rebel maglites are just SO POWERFUL compared to the incandescent bulbs, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that they draw more power.

On Mag's website it even says that the batteries will last longer than a similarly bright incandescent flashlight.

I wonder if there are any reviewed runtimes for the Rebel versions. Maybe I'll have to try it out.....

Probedude

Enlightened
I can't see that the Rebel versions would be much different.

Except 2 of us has measured what our 2D Rebel lights are drawing and it's 1.6A. This is higher than 0.8A for the incandescent and higher than the 1.0A Luxeon one.

Can't run longer than the others when the current draw is higher.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Can't run longer than the others when the current draw is higher.

It does seem to be damning evidence really.

I wonder if it's possible that the amperage is higher but the voltage draw is lower resulting in a lower draw on the batteries? Or do batteries not work like that?

Just a thought.

If the original Luxon LED Maglite replacements draw more amps than the standard incandescents there must be something different going on if there are much longer runtimes on the LED bulbs than the incans... As per the link quoted above.

Or perhaps as they heat up and lower their output, the current draw drops off?

Last edited:

Probedude

Enlightened
I wonder if it's possible that the amperage is higher but the voltage draw is lower resulting in a lower draw on the batteries? Or do batteries not work like that?

Just a thought.

If the original Luxon LED Maglite replacements draw more amps than the standard incandescents there must be something different going on if there are much longer runtimes on the LED bulbs than the incans... As per the link quoted above.

Incandescent brightness drops off quickly with the battery voltage dropping. I think this is why LED lights run longer - they're able to use more life out of a set of batteries.

I did read that the Luxeon equipped maglites would drop their output power as they heated up. Maybe these Rebels do too.

No, you cannot draw lower voltage but higher current.

2.5V * 1.6A = 4W of input power. Suppose they're driving this LED hard, or the conversion efficiency isn't good. 75% eff. would put 3W at the LED.

Dave

Probedude

Enlightened
Can I ask where the 2.5v figure comes from?

Sorry, should have been 2.6V. I was using a pair of NiMh cells off the charger. They were at 1.3V off the charger. Now that I think about it, that would explain the higher current draw if the boost circuit were trying to maintain power across the LED.

The other person said he use alkalines but maybe they were a bit discharged?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
This is all too confusing. Hopefully someone has run one of these till the batteries are dead and can tell us how long they run for.

Probedude

Enlightened
Anyone know if the 3D Rebel Mag uses a buck/boost circuit or only a buck converter?

Edit:

I hooked my 2D Rebel Maglite to my variable bench power supply and took measurements of voltage vs current.

0.4V 160mA This is when the light turns on and produces ANY light
0.6V 620mA
0.8V 920mA
1.0V 1.13A
1.2V 1.38A
1.4V 1.56A
1.6V 1.56A
1.8V 1.58A
2.0V 1.57A
2.2V 1.50A
2.4V 1.19A
2.6V 1.00A
2.8V 870mA
3.0V 770mA
3.2V 700mA
3.4V 630mA

Will likely exchange my 2D for a 3D today and will repeat current measurements on the 3D unit.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just tested a 2D Lux Mag and my 2D Rebel Mag.

Rebel has a 6AA in 2x3parallel with Heavy Duty AA that came with a 2 pack of Rayovac 3 Led lights.

Rebel pulls right at 1.6

Lux has 2D and pulls .8

The Rebel just might be twice as bright. But the Lux has a warmer tint so all bets are off.

Both lights have diffusing lens on them. Rebel has a bigger smoother spot and SIGNIFICANTLY brighter spill!

And I know it's been mentioned but Rebel Mag is maybe 1/4 to 3/8" longer.

Probedude

Enlightened
I exchanged the 2D Rebel for the 3D Rebel Maglite. These emitters are marked '-091'

Here's V vs I for the 3D Rebel Maglite

2.5V 80mA This is when the light turns on and produces ANY light
2.6V 80mA
2.8V 100mA
3.0V 160mA
3.2V 240mA
3.4V 360mA
3.6V 500mA
3.8V 630mA
4.0V 550mA
4.2V 530mA
4.4V 500mA
4.6V 470mA
4.8V 450mA

I don't have a setup to plot brightness over time but wish I did as both the the 2D and the 3D Rebel Maglites are kind of an oddball.

Someone verify this for me but doesn't alkaline batts start out at 1.5V, but then droop quickly to ~ 1.25V and then are 'dead' at 0.9v/cell. Seems the 2D would kill the batts pretty quick as it will try and pull > 1A out of the cells as they start to droop.

The 3D maglite looks to not use up the alkalines as hard as it could, the 2D is too hard.

I hooked my 2D Rebel Maglite to my variable bench power supply and took measurements of voltage vs current.

0.4V 160mA This is when the light turns on and produces ANY light
0.6V 620mA
0.8V 920mA
1.0V 1.13A
1.2V 1.38A
1.4V 1.56A
1.6V 1.56A
1.8V 1.58A
2.0V 1.57A
2.2V 1.50A
2.4V 1.19A
2.6V 1.00A
2.8V 870mA
3.0V 770mA
3.2V 700mA
3.4V 630mA

Will likely exchange my 2D for a 3D today and will repeat current measurements on the 3D unit.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Probedude --

Thank you very much for those Very Detailed numbers.

:twothumbs

Very valuable information there.

:goodjob::thanks:

Glad to hear you've exchanged yer' 2-cell for a 3-cell.

_

Probedude

Enlightened
Haven't been able to play with the 3D Rebel Maglite besides on the bench as I'm too cheap to buy alkaline D batts that are not on sale. Found my D cell adapters that take an AA battery (came with my Eneloops) but using them in the Maglite is a problem as the spring on the Maglite fits around the AA cell and doesn't contact the end.

Realized I could just drop in a fender washer to make a wider base for the spring to press on. Fits in the bore great so it's centered and works great.

Just went in the backyard to try out my 3D Rebel Maglite - WOW! Very nice for $15. Nice throw! I'm happy!

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Thanks for the tests Probedude, some very interesting findings there.

I guess this shows that we'll see significantly longer runtimes on the 3Ds. Glad I've gone with the 3Ds when I bought my rebel lights!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the 2D current draws vs the lux version, these lights have differerent circuits. There is no way that the rebel can pull 1.6A for anywhere even in the same ballpark as the 20 hrs or whatever that a lux version runs.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, very good work there, Probedude! I just have a simple multimeter so all I can do is swap batteries (for a different voltage level) and do a tailcap test. That info is eye opening!

I took my Rebel MagLED completely apart yesterday and compared it to my previous generation MagLite with MagLED drop-in module. It's interesting to note that the head is the same on this new one as it is on my old one but the main tube is different. The threads don't go down as far and the O-ring sits closer to the end of the tube. When you screw the head down all the way the top of the tube is not flush with the collar inside of the head like on the older one. It sits about a quarter inch lower, presumably for more clearance for the deeper reflector. Yes, the entire light is about a quarter inch longer than the incan one. The tailcap and head are identical and I can swap between them if I want to. The switches are, obviously, not the same but the switch assembly is almost identical, the difference being a small projection on one side of the button side of the switch so that the switch itself cannot be mounted upside-down. Also, the switch assembly isn't as long meaning that the batteries sit about an eighth of an inch closer to the bezel on Rebel MagLEDs compared to the older Mags. I plan on taking comparison pictures of these as well as my '80s MagLite but I left my camera at my brother's house over Thanksgiving so it will have to wait.

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened
Does the D cell Rebel Maglite's suffer from overheating like the previous generation?