Maha MH C808M Charger

servaas

Newly Enlightened
Silverfox,

Thank you for the information! That really helps out since I am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow. So the 800s is exactly the same as the 801D except for the slower charge rate, right? Thanks again!

Two other (small) differences:

Power supply
The 801D has a commercial grade din power connector and an inline brick type power supply.
Thye 800S has a consumer style round connector (same style as 401FS/9000) and a wallwart power supply.

Colour
The 801D is black
The 800S is silver

Phlack

Newly Enlightened
I got myself some LSDs, finally.

Should I do a conditioning cycle on these?

-Mike

servaas

Newly Enlightened
I got myself some LSDs, finally.

Should I do a conditioning cycle on these?

-Mike
Yes, like normal discharge batteries, they benefit from a few cycles before use, and heir capacity will come up slightly over the first few charges.

Jeff
-----------------
Servaas Products - Australian Distributor for Maha Powerex - The worlds best AA battery chargers.
http://servaas.com.au
Visit us at the PMA Australia Exhibition in Brisbane, May 30-June 1, Stand 217. http://www.pmaaustralia.com.au

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tangential question if I may.
Maha MH-C777, S/N 7718519, had it for years for ham radio battery packs.
Always worked fine. Recently its power supply died; it's a "MKD-48180800 18V DC 800mA"
I tried emailing Maha USA a month or two ago asking where to get a replacement. No answer.
Charger says "DC 12-18V input" positive center.

What do I look for to replace this?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently its power supply died; it's a "MKD-48180800 18V DC 800mA"

Charger says "DC 12-18V input" positive center.

What do I look for to replace this?

If nothing else, you can always use a little bench type DC power supply. 0-20 volts 0-1 amp minimum would work for you. I'd try it at about 12-15 volts.

I'd cut off the charger wire about halfway and reuse the connector. You can check if the wire was the only problem by measuring the voltage out of the old supply. If there's voltage there still, the connector just broke a wire.

Last edited:

zband

Newly Enlightened
Could someone answer this question for me- I have a MAHA 777plus II aka "the battery cooker". If my understanding is correct, it cooks batteries because the charging current 850mAh (ultimately destroying batteries cause it wouldn't shut off). Needless to say I need another charger and because of this, I am leery of maha products. Whats different about 808m vs 777plus II when it comes to battery charging algorithms? I mean even on the soft charge setting the 808 is pumping more than my 777plus - so wouldn't I expect more heat?

Sorry I'm not an electrically blessed....

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 808 is fast. IIRC it charges at up to 2A(!) but every time I feel the cells they're cool. I charge AAs, Cs and Ds with mine all the time. The 808 is a bit quirky but I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about it cooking cells.

zband

Newly Enlightened
I just pick one of these units up. Compared to my maha 777 plus II recharger the AAs charged very quickly (this was on the soft cycle) and best part is they only reached a 109F!

I couldn't even hold the same batteries from 777. The AA and AAA's all charged to 1.46 volts at the end.

I conditioned 2 AAA energizer cells on soft mode- there was no frozen display and the batteries remained cool. It just took about 8 hours for the whole condtion - charge cycle!

So far so good.

Now if Maha could make a similar charger (like the 808) for Li-Ion cells I would be first in line with cash...I wonder if they read these forums.

Last edited:

zband

Newly Enlightened
So far I am pleased with the 808. Batteries stay (relatively ) cool.

But one thing I am miffed about, Checking the status of a charged accupower d-cell (charged about a week before ) on the ZTS test showed 100%, putting them into the 808 the D's started charging and the 808's displayed started from 20%-40% level. Not sure why- even though they go to "done " in about 1 hour on a soft charge....hmmm

mikevelarde

Enlightened
hello everyone:

I'm noob here at CPF, I had been lurking around for sometime and learn a lot from so many CPF guru here. I just purchase a 808M a month ago from a photoshop here in Manila(they distribute the Maha charger in the Philippines). and these charger perform very well until the the 11th of August. I use the charger to condition and charge my AA,AAA C and D cell, of both nicad and inmh chemistry.

When I plug in the charger on the 11th, I saw little smoke came out of bay no.8 of the charger near the DIN 1 connector, then the LCD display start blinking all the time with a done display on bay no. 8(without any battery in the charger) , I try to unplug and plug the charger again after a few minute, the same thing happens. (blinking LCD display and done on bay no. 8 ):sick2:

I bring the charger to the photoshop, and they replace the defective one with a brand new unit . I hope these unit will last!!:sigh:

mikevelarde

chewy78

Enlightened
hello everyone:

I'm noob here at CPF, I had been lurking around for sometime and learn a lot from so many CPF guru here. I just purchase a 808M a month ago from a photoshop here in Manila(they distribute the Maha charger in the Philippines). and these charger perform very well until the the 11th of August. I use the charger to condition and charge my AA,AAA C and D cell, of both nicad and inmh chemistry.

When I plug in the charger on the 11th, I saw little smoke came out of bay no.8 of the charger near the DIN 1 connector, then the LCD display start blinking all the time with a done display on bay no. 8(without any battery in the charger) , I try to unplug and plug the charger again after a few minute, the same thing happens. (blinking LCD display and done on bay no. 8 ):sick2:

I bring the charger to the photo shop, and they replace the defective one with a brand new unit . I hope these unit will last!!:sigh:

mikevelarde
That's the first time i heard of that happening. I have that same charger, and it works flawlessly time in and time out. Must of been a defective unit. Maybe the employee who assembled it had a bad day.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C9000 applies a two hour top-off charge at 100 mA after the display says "Done." Does the C808 charger also apply a "top-off" charge after the display says "Done"? Or does done mean done?

mikevelarde

Enlightened
I recently purchased about a dozen of the powerex 11,000 mah D cell and proceed to condition 8 of them in the 808. after 5 days. the 808 seems to get stuck at the discharge cycle with 1 bar blinking on all slots without going into the final charging cycle. The 808 seems to be overwhelm by the capacity of the D cell :thinking: and their algorithm get mixed-up because of the time needed to discharge those D-cells????:poke:

Paging SilverFox or William Chueh:popcorn:

Last edited:

chewy78

Enlightened
Paging SilverFox of William Chueh:popcorn:[/quote]

those are two different people lol

rhymemaze

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased about a dozen of the powerex 11,000 mah D cell and proceed to condition 8 of them in the 808. after 5 days. the 808 seems to get stuck at the discharge cycle with 1 bar blinking on all slots without going into the final charging cycle. The 808 seems to be overwhelm by the capacity of the D cell :thinking: and their algorithm get mixed-up because of the time needed to discharge those D-cells????:poke:

Does anyone else have trouble or other quirks with the D cells in the 808? I guess these NiMh chargers aren't like LCD tv's (example) getting updated/revised each year?